News
Bille Deserted As Army Invades Community …IYC, Others Condemn Action
Tuoma and Oruoma communities in Bille Kingdom, Degema Local Government Area of Rivers State, have been deserted following the alleged invasion of the communities by members of the Joint Military Task Force (JTF).
Consequently, the communities have called on the Rivers State Government to intervene to save the people from total extermination.
Speaking with The Tide, last Monday, the Secretary of Tuoma Community, Opiriyagbo Oferi Isaac said that, at least, 20 buildings in the community were razed by the JTF during the operation.
Isaac appealed to the Rivers State Government and the Army High Command to intervene and save the people of the community.
“The Nigerian Army invaded my community and also set ablaze some buildings following sporadic gun shots. There were a lot of casualties; some of them are still missing in the bush. Some have been taken to the nearby hospital in Bille for first aid treatment.
“The leadership of the community has not been told the reason for the invasion. We are now calling on the state government and the Army authorities, in charge of the JTF to call them to order and also to free the sea route for the Bille people and their satellite communities,” Isaac appealed.
In his reaction, the Chairman, Bille Kingdom Community Development Committee, Asatubo Igbanibo Kemuel, said that the soldiers impounded seven passenger boats plying the Bille waterways for about nine hours.
Kemuel confirmed that one person sustained several bullet injuries while others had fled the community to unknown locations.
“The soldiers came in several gunboats and other speedboats numbering about eight and raided Touma community, burning down houses and destroying a lot of property worth several millions of Naira.
“Residents of Touma community were forced to flee for safety, and at present, many persons are reported missing.
“One person, Mr Profit Joseph, a resident of Touma community, sustained severe injuries as a result of gunshots by the Army,” Kemuel said.
However, in a statement jointly signed by the President, Bille Kingdom Youth Council, Obirabi Sylvanus and the CDC Chairman, Asatubo Kemuel, the community lamented that the action of the soldiers may not be unconnected with last week’s attack on an Army House Boat by yet-to-be-identified persons.
The Tide investigation revealed that residents of both communities, most of whom are fisher folks, have since the military operation, been denied access to their only sources of livelihood, thereby triggering untold hardship and starvation in the communities.
Some of the people, who were scheduled to travel to Port Harcourt for one business transaction or the other, were also denied the opportunity to meet their desired needs, thereby making it impossible for them to realise their dreams of achieving economic prosperity and empowerment.
Meanwhile, the Ijaw Youth Council (IYC) Worldwide has condemned the JTF invasion of Tuoma and Oruoma communities in Degema LGA, saying that the suspected reprisal attacks were unnecessary.
In its reaction to the attacks, National Treasurer, IYC, Luckyman Agiela, said that several people have been displaced and others missing since last Monday when the soldiers invaded the two communities and shot sporadically.
“As I am talking to you now, some persons are still in the bush, a lot of people are still missing. Yesterday, movement along the Bille waterways was suspended. They did not allow any boat to and from Bille for the whole day.
“As a result, economic activities were shut down. They left Tuoma community and went to Oruoma community, and did the same thing,” Agiela noted.
However, in his remarks, the spokesperson, IYC Worldwide, Daniel Dasimaka, condemned the action of the militants who had earlier attacked the military personnel in the area.
“IYC as the national body, we want to condemn, in its totality, the attack on the military by hoodlums. We understand that they attacked the House Boat belonging to JTF, carted away some arms and killed some military personnel. We cannot take side evil and criminality, so, we condemn the action of the militants, and call on the security agencies to ensure that the culprits are arrested and brought to book.
“We also condemn this act of the military. We expected the military to act professionally instead of displaying acts that suggest they are also militants,” Dasimaka added.
The Nigerian Army, while confirming the Army operation in Tuoma and Oruoma in Bille Kingdom, urged the public to avoid attacking soldiers deployed to protect innocent citizens.
The Army’s Public Relations Officer (PRO), Aliyu Iliasu, condemned the allegation of military invasion of the communities, saying that the soldiers were in the communities on official security operations to checkmate any untoward acts by hoodlums in the area.
The Army spokesman, however, said he would give details of the alleged operations in Tuoma and Oruoma communities, and cautioned people against mistaking military operations as acts of invasion.
Susan Serekara-Nwikhana
News
Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures
President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.
The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.
He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.
Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.
“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.
“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.
The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.
Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.
He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.
“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”
The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.
The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.
Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.
News
US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day
The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.
The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.
“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.
According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.
The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.
In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.
Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.
News
Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role
United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.
Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.
The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.
“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.
The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.
Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.
The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.
In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.
“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.
Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.
He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.
Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.
-
Sports5 days ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Politics5 days ago
ADC, PDP, LP Missing As INEC Set For By- Elections In Rivers
-
Environment5 days agoOxfam, partners celebrate 5 years of climate governance programmes in Nigeria
-
News4 days agoVictory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures
-
Politics5 days ago
FG’s Economic Policies Not Working – APC Chieftain
-
Politics5 days ago2027: Diri Unveils RHA LG Coordinators, APC Congress Panel
-
Politics5 days agoReps To Meet,’Morrow Over INEC’s 2027 Election Timetable
-
Politics5 days agoGroup Continues Push For Real Time Election Results Transmission
