Nation
THE STATES
FCT
The Federal Government says it will intensify the implementation of the Toxic Waste Dump Watch Programme to control illegal trans-boundary movement and importation of hazardous waste into the country.
The Director-General of National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency (NESREA), Dr Lawrence Anukam, said this last Thursday in an interview with newsmen in Abuja.
Anukam, said that adequate mechanisms had been put in place to control such illegal movement and import of hazardous waste, including electronic waste (e-waste), in the country.
He said that, NESREA was collaborating with various governments and international organisations to ensure that Nigeria did not become a dumping ground for e-waste shipped in from other countries.
Kaduna
No fewer than eight districts in Jema’a Local Government Area, Kaduna State, last Thursday signed peace deals to end hostilities and ensure permanent peace in their locality.
The agreement followed months of interaction and negotiation spearheaded by Global Peace Foundation (GPF), Nigeria, an NGO.
The districts include Dangoma, Goska, Ambam, Bakin Kogi, Unguwar Fari, Unguwar Baki and Gerti.
After deliberations, the eight districts unanimously agreed to forgive each other and directed all farmers and herdsmen to go about their normal activities.
“They also agreed to form very close collaborations to attain pre-conflict relationship while encouraging all their critical stakeholders resident outside the chiefdom to honour the development.”
Kogi
Director General, National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), Brig. Gen. Suleiman Kazaure, has urged corps members to support government’s efforts toward ridding Nigeria of corrupt tendencies.
Suleiman made the call last Wednesday, when he visited the 2017 Batch ‘A’ Stream 1 corps members at the Kogi State Orientation Camp, Asaya, Kabba.
Represented by Mr Tijani Ahmed, Director, Legal Unit, NYSC National Directorate, Abuja, the NYSC boss challenged corps members to initiate steps toward cleansing the nation of vices that had affected its growth over the years.
He urged the corps members to appreciate their place as future leaders and imbibe the virtues of patience, self-discipline and hard work.
Lagos
Peeved at her husband’s alcohol abuse and adulterous life, 36-year-old housewife, Queen Stephen, has approached an Igando Customary Court at a Lagos suburb, asking for the dissolution of their 12-year-old marriage.
She told the court that her husband, Francis Stephen, for whom she had four children, impregnated her younger sister in 2016.
“When I gave birth, I invited my sister to come and assist me to take care of the child, but I did not know that my husband had established a love relationship with her.
“She confessed to me that my husband was responsible for her pregnancy when I discovered that she was pregnant,” she said.
Nasarawa
Senator Abdullahi Adamu (APC-Nasarawa West) has urged Nigerians to embrace agriculture in order to achieve national food security.
Adamu, who is the Chairman, Senate Committee on Agriculture, made the call last Thursday in an interview with newsmen in Keffi, Nasarawa State.
He noted that, agriculture would also help fight poverty, unemployment, and boost the revenue base and socio-economic development of the country.
Adamu, who cited developed countries like China and Japan using their population to enhance agriculture for exports, urged Nigerians to emulate them through taking advantage of the abundant fertile land to boost agriculture.
Ogun
A 19-year-old man, Ahmed Savage, who allegedly stole a generating set, was last Thursday charged before an Ota Senior Magistrates ‘ Court in Ogun State.
Savage, of no fixed address, is facing a charge of stealing.
The prosecutor, Sgt. Chudu Gbesi, told the court that, the accused committed the offence on June 3 at 2.00 a.m. at Ododonileke CDA, Lafenwa, Ota.
Gbesi said that, the accused was caught by residents with a Tiger generator and could not explain how he came about it.
“The generating set was suspected to be stolen item as the accused could not give explanation on how he came about it,” he said.
Ondo
A 32-year-old driver, Bola Akinwalere, was last Thursday docked at an Okitipupa Magistrates’ Court in Ondo State over alleged dangerous driving and causing bodily harm to one motorcyclist, Sola Ayegbami.
The prosecutor, Insp. Zedekiah Orogbemi, told the court that the accused on May 22, around 3.30 p.m., along Okitipupa-Aye road, drove one Toyota Sienna car with registration number BDG 746 QZ dangerously.
He said that, the accused who had no driver’s licence and due to speeding, hit Ayegbami from behind which caused him several degrees of injuries and bodily harm.
Osun
An Ilorin based legal practitioner, Mr Olutimi Folorunsho has identified poverty as the main cause of child labour in the country.
Folorunsho, said this in Ilorin last Thursday in an interview with newsmen. He said that, the high rate of poverty had led to increased rate of child exploitation in the country.
“Without mincing word, poverty is the major cause of child labour in the country and that has ruined the lives of so many Nigerian children,” Folorunsho said.
Plateau
A Jos Upper Area Court sitting in Kasuwan Nama, Jos North LGA, last Thursday sentenced an 18-year-old carpenter, Aslam Awal, to 2 years imprisonment for raping a 9 year-old boy.
The presiding Judge, Mr Yahaya Mohammed, handed down the sentence after the convict pleaded guilty to a one-count charge of unnatural offence and begged the court for leniency.
In his plea, the convict attributed his actions to the devil.
“It was the devil that pushed me to do it, this is the first time and I will not repeat it again, have mercy on me,’’ he pleaded. Mohammed, who did not give the convict an option of fine, said the sentence was meant to serve as deterrent to others who might want to engage in similar acts.
Sokoto
The Sokoto State Pilgrims Welfare Agency (PWA), has announced a flat rate of N1.52 million as the fare for the 2017 Hajj.
The Director-General of the agency, Alhaji Ibrahim Umar, made this known on Thursday at a meeting with the 23 Local Government Hajj Registration officers and their assistants.
He said that, the fare was approved by the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON).
Umar said that, each intending pilgrim would be entitled to 800 dollars Basic Travelling Allowance (BTA).
The Director-General said, “No provision was made for minimum and maximum Hajj fares as was the practice in the past.
Taraba
The Speaker of Taraba State House of Assembly, Mr Abel Diah, has said that, the anti-open grazing executive bill currently before the House would be beneficial to both herdsmen and farmers in the state.
Diah, made the statement last Thursday in Jalingo, at a press conference to mark the end of the second legislative year of the 8th Assembly.
While debunking claims in some quarters that the bill was aimed at witch-hunting some people, the Speaker explained that, it was meant to improve the lives of livestock and herders.
“This is a revolution government is bringing to better the life of grazers, create jobs and harmonious co-existence between farmers and herders.
“It is high time we stopped killings associated with open grazing.
Zamfara
Kaura-Namoda Local Government Council of Zamfara State last Thursday, said it had concluded arrangements to establish a by-law that would prohibit all forms of social vices in the area.
The Chairman of the council, Alhaji Lawali Abdullahi, made this known at a news conference in Kaura Namoda.
He said the legislation was aimed at reducing crimes and deviant behaviours, particularly among youths in the area.
He added that, “when the law took effect, it would check the spate of prostitution, bar operations, hemp smoking and other vices.
Abdullahi, therefore, advised parents and guardians to cooperate with the council in its effort to free the society of deviant behaviours.
Nation
Youths Vow To Continue Protest Over Dilapidated Highway
Youths from five local government areas in Northern Cross River State have concluded a one-week warning protest and blockade of the dilapidated Ikom-Wula-Obudu federal highway over the weekend.
They have vowed to resume the road blocks if by this week the authorities do not intervene to fix the road.
More than five thousand locals, mostly youths from Obanliku, Etung, Obudu, Ikom and Boki LGAs trooped out everyday for one week, used palm trees to block the highway to draw state and federal government’s attention to their plights, requesting the repair of a road has has been unmotorable for about 40 years.
They warned that if they do not see any actions from the state or federal governments, they will resume their Plan B protest, stop revenue collections and make governance unpalatable.
The youths also warned that without interventions on the road which has claimed several lives, including that of last week when a pregnant woman died with her baby in the full glare of the protesters because of the terrible road, no election can hold in the area next year.
One of the leaders of the No Road , No Election protest, who is also the Abo Youths in Boki LGA, Dr Martins Assam said both the federal and state governments have neglected the region, which generates more than 70 percent state revenue from agriculture.
He said if machinery is not deployed by next week, they will not have any option than to embark on unpalatable and disastrous protest, and stop revenue collections in the area.
“Last week we had only a warning strike for one good week. We’ll embark on a more elaborate, disastrous one-month blockade of this highway until they intervene. We call on our Governor and representatives in the National Assembly to act now by impressing on the federal government to immediately fix this road else. We’re not asking for two much but to be treated as human beings.”
Another protester, Clinton Obi from the Etung axis said, “We’ve been neglected for 40 years. This Ikom-Obudu federal highway had been impassable. The government has removed its concentration from our plights. By this one week protest, we want action on this road otherwise the next phase of protest will be costly.”
Reverend Father Francis Amaozo, priest in charge of St. Nicholas parish in Nashua, Boki LGA said, “I have also been a victim of this very deplorable road. Enough is now enough. We’ve been betrayed by our representatives and other leaders, so that we in this axis have become endangered species on this road. I have lost some many members on this road.”
Member, representing the Boki-Ikom federal constituency of the state in the House of Representatives, Bisong Victor Abang had pleaded with the locals to be a bit more patient with the government as action will commence shortly.
Nation
UNIPORT VC Receives Inaugural Lecture Brochure As Professor Highlights Urgent Need For Drug Repurposing In Malaria Fight
The Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Prof Owunari Georgewill, last Thursday received the inaugural lecture brochure from the Inaugural Lecturer, Professor Udeme Georgewill, during a ceremony at the university’s Centre of Excellence attended by academics, researchers, students, and distinguished guests.
Delivering her lecture, Professor Udeme Georgewill described the occasion as the culmination of years of dedicated research, teaching, and service to humanity. He explained that his work as a pharmacologist has consistently focused on finding practical, affordable, and scientifically sound solutions to health challenges that disproportionately affect developing countries, particularly malaria, which remains one of Nigeria’s most pressing public health concerns.
She noted that Nigeria continues to bear one of the heaviest malaria burdens globally, accounting for a significant percentage of worldwide cases and deaths. The disease, largely caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite and transmitted through Anopheles mosquitoes, remains especially dangerous for children under five years and pregnant women, threatening not only present populations but unborn generations. Despite years of intervention efforts, malaria continues to strain families, health systems, and the national economy.
Prof Georgewill empha-sised that while Artemisinin-based Combination Therapies such as Artemether-Lumefantrine remain the gold standard for malaria treatment, emerging resistance patterns pose a serious challenge. He explained that drug resistance is a survival mechanism of the parasite, enabling it to adapt and reduce the effectiveness of medications designed to eliminate it. According to her, instances where patients do not feel better after initial treatment sometimes lead to repeated dosing or the search for injectable alternatives, practices that can worsen resistance and complicate treatment outcomes.
Against this backdrop, she advocated strongly for drug repurposing as a strategic and urgent response. Drug repurposing, he explained, involves identifying new therapeutic uses for already approved and widely available medications. He likened the concept to “old wine in new wineskins,” stressing that medicines already proven safe for certain conditions can be carefully re-evaluated and optimised for new roles in malaria management. This approach, she argued, offers advantages such as reduced research timelines, lower development costs, and faster clinical application compared to developing entirely new drugs from scratch.
She disclosed that her research had progressed from laboratory investigations to clinical evaluations, where his team is studying combinations involving Artemether-Lumefantrine and Ivermectin to determine their effectiveness in improving treatment outcomes and possibly reducing transmission. Clinical trials are ongoing, and findings will be communicated upon completion of regulatory processes. However, he cautioned strongly against self-medication, warning that misuse of drugs without proper diagnosis and prescription can lead to organ damage, treatment failure, and increased resistance.
Referencing global health commitments, Prof Georgewill highlighted Sustainable Development Goal 3.3, which seeks to end epidemics of malaria and other major infectious diseases by 2030. She questioned whether the goal remains attainable under current realities, especially with growing resistance and funding gaps. He also referred to strategies of the World Health Organisation aimed at drastically reducing malaria incidence and mortality while pushing toward elimination in several countries.
Looking ahead, she revealed that her team is building comprehensive research databases to support artificial intelligence-driven drug repurposing. He stressed that the integration of artificial intelligence, molecular docking, and advanced screening technologies is transforming global drug discovery, and Nigerian researchers must be equipped to participate competitively in this evolving scientific landscape.
In her recommendations, she called for the establishment of a National Centre for Drug Repurposing to coordinate research efforts and leverage artificial intelligence in identifying new indications for existing medicines. He urged policymakers to simplify and accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries into clinical application, ensuring that scientific breakthroughs benefit the public more efficiently. She also appealed to the university and relevant authorities to increase funding and modernise laboratory infrastructure, including high-throughput screening facilities, to strengthen Nigeria’s position in global biomedical research.
The lecture concluded with expressions of gratitude to God, the university leadership, colleagues, students, and guests, as the event underscored the University of Port Harcourt’s commitment to research excellence and its role in addressing critical public health challenges facing Nigeria and the wider world.
Nation
Niger CAN Rejects Proposed Hisbah Bill, Urges Gov Bago Not To Assent
The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Niger State Chapter, has rejected the proposed Niger State Hisbah Directorates Bill, describing it as controversial and capable of deepening religious division in the state.
In a statement signed by the State Chairman, Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, and made available to The Tide’s source yesterday, the association urged Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago not to assent to the bill if it is passed by the State House of Assembly.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing Chanchaga Constituency, Hon. Mohammed Abubakar, seeks to establish a Hisbah Directorate in Niger State.
CAN warned that the legislation could be perceived as discriminatory against Christians and may heighten tension in the religiously diverse state.
“Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, we, the entire Christendom in the state, wish to draw your attention to what could easily create division among the people you govern,” the statement read in part.
The association questioned the necessity and benefits of the proposed law, asking what economic or social value it would add to the state.
It further argued that existing security agencies, including the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, already have constitutional mandates to maintain law and order.
The Christian body also faulted the legislative process, disputing claims that it was consulted during a public hearing on the bill.
It insisted that it was neither invited nor notified of any such engagement, despite being a critical stakeholder in the state.
-
Politics3 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Sports3 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business3 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Sports3 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
Featured3 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
News3 days ago
Police Bust Kidnapping Syndicate In PH
-
Sports3 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
-
Sports3 days ago
‘NTF Will Build On Davis Cup Success For Brighter Future’
