News
Avengers Attack NGC Pipeline In Delta
The Niger Delta Avengers have attacked a gas pipeline in Warri, Delta State, breaking a fragile truce between the militants and the Federal Government, an oil company spokesman told newsmen, yesterday.
The attack on a pipeline operated by the Nigerian Gas Company Limited, a subsidiary of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), took place, last Saturday, near Sanomi creek, close to Warri in Delta State.
“It has been confirmed, even by the community people, that it was a third-party sabotage,” said Nigeria Gas Company spokesman, Violin Antaih.
“If you have a picture of the blast, you will know too well that was exactly what happened because the pipeline was cut into two. A ruptured pipeline will not have such effect.”
The attack is the first on Nigeria’s oil and gas infrastructure in months, and takes place amid ongoing negotiations between Niger Delta leaders and President Muhammadu Buhari’s government.
In a cryptic tweet, yesterday morning, the spokesman of the Niger Delta Avengers wrote, “la vittoria è nostra” (Italian for “victory is ours”).
When contacted for comments, the Nigerian military said it was investigating.
“I am aware of the incident, and we are on top of it. A committee has been set up to unravel the circumstance,” Joint Task Force Commander, Apochi Suleiman, said.
“We will see at the end of the day,” he assured.
Commenting on the development, Ecobank energy analyst, Dolapo Oni, said the apparent attack was “worrying” at a time when Nigeria was wrestling to exit a recession.
“This is probably a statement of intent, saying, ‘look, we can come back’,” he said. “It looks like a warning signal,” he added.
Nigeria has been in recession since August last year, as a result of lower global oil prices as well as the decrease in production from attacks on pipelines in the Niger Delta in 2016.
Buhari — who is away on medical leave in London — initially responded to the resurgence of rebel activity in the region with force.
But Vice-President, Prof Yemi Osinbajo, who is standing in for the ailing head of state, has shifted to a more conciliatory approach.
Government funding for an amnesty programme for former rebels has been increased and a slew of infrastructure projects in the impoverished region has been promised.
But a lasting ceasefire may be difficult to achieve in the maze of creeks and swamplands, where masses of young, unemployed men are forced to turn to crime to make a living.
News
198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class
News
Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council trains tra 1,000 teachers
News
RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE
The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.
The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.
Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee
highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.
“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.
Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.
The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.
