Nation
THE STATES

Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Saddiq Abubakar (left) and Governor Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos during a visit of the Chief of Air Staff to Governor Ambode in Lagos, recently.
Adamawa
The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared
Adamawa as a polio-free state.
The WHO Coordinator in the state, Dr Nuhu Ningi, confirmed this in a statement made available to newsmen in Yola.
Ningi said in the statement that Adamawa was free of Polio virus since 2009.
According to him, the absence of Polio in Adamawa was not a “mere chance” as speculated in some quarters.
“It is very unfortunate to describe all efforts of government and partners fighting against polio in the state as ‘mere chance occurrence’.”
“This statement by the Zonal Coordinator is unfortunate and absurdly lack scientific base,” Ningi said.
Bauchi
The Bauchi State Police Command, has confirmed the death
of two policemen and four civilians in an auto crash on Darazo-Bauchi road.
Spokesman of the command in a press release in Bauchi, DSP Mohammed Haruna, indicated that the accident, which involved a Vectra vehicle with registration number GJW 446 XA, occurred on April 13.
Haruna said that the vehicle, conveying two suspected kidnappers from Soro Police Division, had an accident at Dabe village in Ganjuwa local government area of the state.
He said eight other occupants of the vehicle with various degree of injuries were conveyed to Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Teaching Hospital (ATBUTH) in Bauchi for treatment.
Ekiti
Farmers in Ekiti State have expressed worries over the delay
in getting assistance from the Federal Government to develop and expand their farms ahead of this year’s farming season.
Mr James Kupoluyi, the spokesman of All Farmers Association of Nigeria (AFAN), Ikole local government area told newsmen that the delay might have negative impacts on the current farming season if not addressed urgently.
He disclosed that the Federal Government in the third quarter of 2015, directed every farmer in Nigeria to register for a programme tagged “Nigeria Agricultural Payment Initiative’’ (NAPI), with the aim of assisting farmers.
“Many of us registered and have been waiting since then but have not got the assistance from the government to expand our farms.
FCT
The Consumer Protection Council (CPC) has solicited
stronger partnership with the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) for improved telecom services in the country.
The Director-General of CPC, Mrs Modupe Atoki, made the call when she visited the Executive Vice Chairman of NCC, Prof Umar Danbatta, in Abuja.
“There are certain complaints that we received and which we want to share and which we want to have this deliberation on a way forward to make sure that Nigerians begin to enjoy value for money.
“First is the quality of service, which every one of us here would have experienced one way or the other.
“It is still poor in spite of the effort that the NCC has put in, in streamlining their quality.”
Jigawa
The National Directorate of Employment (NDE) in Jigawa
said it would soon introduce a skill acquisition training programme tagged, “School to Work” for secondary schools students in the state.
The NDE Coordinator,, Malam Muhammad Sambo, announced this in an interview with newsmen in Dutse.
Sambo said that the programme was part of the directorate’s initiatives targeted at SS3 and JS3 students.
“The programme is already captured in our budget this year,” Sambo said.
He explained that the agency would use long vacation period to train them in various skills to make them self reliant.
Katsina
Funtua local government area of Katsina State had returned
230 cows and 22 sheep to their lawful owners after they were recovered from the rustlers by a joint security taskforce at Sheme village.
Alhaji Hassan Gambo, Head of Administration of the local government, told the gathering that the rustled cows were stationed in Funtua for 18 days after they had been rescued from the bandits.
Gambo said that the local government officials carried out all the required processes of cattle identification and clearance from the owners before they were handed over to them.
He explained that the identification was done in the presence of the District Head of Funtua, Alhaji Sambo Idris, security agencies and the leaders of headsmen association.
Lagos
A total of 25,781 candidates registered for this year’s
National Common Entrance Examination (NCEE) in Lagos.
Our correspondent reports that the examination was for admission into the 104 Unity Colleges across the country.
The Lagos State Zonal Coordinator, National Examinations Council (NECO), Mr Gbenga Olapade, organisers of the examination, said in an interview that a total of 115 centres were being used for the examination across the state.
Olapade said that there were additional four centres for this year’s examination, when compared with 111 centres used for the same examination in 2015.
Ogun
A 68-year old man, Sulaimo Akindele, has been charged
before an Ota Magistrates’ Court for allegedly damaging a fish pond valued at N4 million belonging to one Adetayo Olanrewaju.
Akindele, who lives at No. 23 Ogunyemi Street, Iyana-Iyesi, Ota, is facing a two-count charge of conspiracy and malicious damage.
The Prosecutor, Sgt. Ebibomino Itaita, told the court that the accused and others still at large, committed the offences on February 20 at about 11:20 p.m. at Odo-Pako area of Ota.
Ebibomino said that the accused and his accomplices unlawfully damaged a fish pond valued at N4 million belonging to one Adetayo Olanrewaju.
Ondo
A petitioner in a divorce suit, Mr Olusola Ogunleye, has
told an Akure Customary Court that his wife’s siblings advised him to divorce her because of her stubborn nature.
Olusola, who had been married to his wife, Funmilayo, for 13 years, and the marriage blessed with four children, accused the respondent of always threatening him with knives and broken bottles whenever they had misunderstandings.
He said that whenever there was any misunderstanding between them, his wife was also fond of destroying his properties.
Nasarawa
The Akwanga local government in Nasarawa State has
inaugurated a 17-man taskforce to remove illegal structures along major roads in Akwanga and its environs within two weeks.
The Sole Administrator of the council, Mr Kwanta Yakubu, said in Akwanga while inaugurating the committee that the aim was to ease traffic and ensure healthy environment in the affected areas.
According to Yakubu, the decongestion is to discourage hawking, trading and other illegalities on major roads.
“The aim is to make Akwanga clean, healthy, and peaceful for everybody.
“The high rate of congestion along major roads has become a source of concern and as responsible government, we cannot fold our hands and watch the situation,” he said.
Plateau
The Bishop of Pankshin Diocese in Plateau, Mr Michael
Gokum, has urged the Federal Government to be pragmatic in its policy and programme implementation and save Nigerians from the current hardship.
He made the call in an interview with newsmen in Pankshin recently.
“Times are hard and the people are really suffering; I hope God will inspire our leaders, especially the Federal Government to do something drastic and save the situation.
“Nigeria is so blessed yet the people are suffering because of the greediness of our supposed leaders, who are starshing billions of naira within and outside the country.
“The doctrine of putting the interest of others before yours is not being observed here in Nigeria because of lack of fear of God, ’’ he lamented.
Yobe
Yobe Government in collaboration with the Nigerian
Army has reopened the 132km Damaturu-Biu federal road, which was blocked three years ago by Boko Haram insurgents.
Our correspondent reports that the road, which was a major link between Yobe and southern part of Borno, was inaugurated at Buni Yadi.
Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai, Chief of Army Staff, said at the occasion that the road was strategic to the economic well being of Yobe as it linked the state capital with many communities.
He said reopening of the road would boost economic activities of Yobe, Borno, Adamawa and Gombe State.
“This will also impact positively on the current military operations in the area by boosting the achievement of the troops,” he said.
Nation
Northern Community Gets New Dan Buran In Rivers state
The Arewa /Northern Community in Rivers state has appointed Alhaji Shuaibu Wada Madawakin Tilda as the Acting Dan Buran Rivers State.
The appointment is subject to confirmation by the Cabinet Council.
The appointment follows the dethronement of the former occupant,
Alhaji Musa Saeedu.
A statement from the Palace of the Sarkin Arewa/Northern Community (Sarkin Hausawan) in Rivers State and signed by His Royal Highness, Alhaji Hussaini Isah said the dethronement is with immediate effect.
The statement further disclosed that the decision follows an allegation of acts of insubordination and conduct considered contrary to the values, discipline, and traditions of the Northern community perpetuated by the Fmr Dan Buran.
The statement advised the public to discontinue to recognising and addressing Alhaji Musa Saeedu as the Dan Buran of the State, adding that he no longer holds the title and remained suspended.
Responding via telephone interview, Alhaji Musa Saeedu said he will not make any comment regarding the matter.
Nation
French Teachers Day 2025: PH Celebrates International French Teachers Day
The Alliance Française of Port Harcourt opened its doors to more than sixty French language teachers from Port Harcourt and across Rivers State at the weekend for an afternoon dedicated to celebration, creativity, and community spirit.
The event which was Supported by the Embassy of France in Nigeria, forms part of the global celebrations marking the Journée Internationale du Professeur de Français (French Teachers Day) a day officially set aside to observe worldwide every 20 November.
The Tide Entertainment reports that every year, French teachers around the globe are honoured for the passion and dedication they bring into their classrooms.In 2025, the theme chosen “Chanter, jouer, enseigner: la francophonie en musique” (Sing, Play, Teach: Francophonie in Music) invited the entire community to explore the joy of teaching through song, performance, and artistic expression.
A Day that brings teachers together for the French teaching community in Port Harcourt, this celebration is much more than a ceremony, it is a rare moment to step away from the classroom and reconnect with the simple joy of sharing, learning, and creating together.
The Alliance Française transformed the occasion into a space buzzing with music and entertainment. Teachers from primary schools, secondary schools, universities, and adult learning centers gathered to exchange ideas, reconnected with colleagues, and discover each other’s talents in an atmosphere filled with warmth and friendship.
Honouring Creativity with the theme “Our Teachers Have Talent!”This year, the Embassy of France launched a national contest titled “Nos profs ont du talent!” (“Our Teachers Have Talent !”), participants were invited to either interpret or create a Francophone song.For a month, from 13 October to 13 November 2025, teachers from across the country submitted their performances online, filling the digital space with francophone music.While winners of this nationwide competition were announced.
According to the the Director, Mrs Marina Lacal, Alliance Française Port Harcourt, excitement and anticipation were added to the celebrations, saying that in Port Harcourt, the festivities went even further. Port Harcourt experienced a Unique Celebration that went beyond the online competition, Alliance Française Port Harcourt created something special, an event where teachers met physically, shared moment of joy, and present their musical talents live.On stage, teachers sang the songs they love and those they have created, showcasing the creativity that animates their classrooms every day.
She explained that that off stage, they( participants )shared stories, network with colleagues, laughed together, and celebrated their unique contribution to the promotion of the French language in Rivers State.This gathering is also a moment of recognition. Every day, French teachers open doors for thousands of learners, children discovering their first French words, teenagers preparing for exams, university students shaping their future careers, and adults embracing new opportunities.
“Today, the spotlight shines on them. More Than an Event, A Tribute to Their Dedication The 2025 celebration in Port Harcourt was a heartfelt tribute to the teachers who make French come alive, those who inspire, guide, and encourage learners with unwavering commitment,” Mrs. Lacal said
The Director explained that It recognises their resilience, their creativity, and their essential role in building bridges between cultures.By offering them a moment of relaxation, fun, artistic expression, and professional networking, Alliance Française Port Harcourt reaffirms its mission to support educators, strengthen the teaching community, and celebrate the vibrant energy of the Francophonie in Nigeria.
Climax of the exciting event was the presentation of prizes to winners of the competition.
Nation
OGONI ARISE CONCERT 2025: A Triumph Of Unity, Peace, And Cultural Pride
The Chairman Advisory Committee on Entertainment and Performing Arts, Khana Local Government Area, Hon. Lexy M. Mueka has expressed gratitude to the Chairman of Khana Local Government Area Dr. Thomas Bariere for his support and vision in promoting entertainment as a tool for peacebuilding and youth engagement.
Hon Mueka made this known to the Tide Entertainment during a recently concluded concert tagged “OGONI ARISE CONCERT” held at the No. 6 Field, Old Port Harcourt Township.
According to him, the concert was not just an event but a movement aimed at reawakening the cultural consciousness of the Ogoni people and inspiring the younger generation to use their talents positively.
The Tide Entertainment reports that the event, organized by Triple 3 Entertainment under the auspices of the office of the Chairman Advisory committee on Entertainment and Performing Arts to the Chairman of Khana Local Government Area, was a vibrant celebration of peace, unity, and cultural renaissance among the Ogoni people.
“Conceptualized as a platform to promote social harmony, empower young creatives, and showcase the rich artistic heritage of Ogoniland, the Ogoni Arise Concert succeeded in bringing together community leaders, entertainers, and the general public in a rare show of solidarity. The event featured electrifying performances by indigenous and regional artistes, dance troupes, comedians, and cultural ambassadors, all united under one message — Ogoni is rising again,” Hon. Mueka said.
“The Ogoni Arise Concert was designed to remind us of who we are — a people of strength, creativity, and unity. We wanted to show that entertainment can be a bridge for peace, a voice for our youth, and a celebration of our identity,” he added.
The event also featured a special Award Presentation Ceremony recognizing distinguished Ogoni sons and daughters who have made remarkable contributions in areas such as leadership, humanitarian service, creative excellence, and cultural promotion. The awards added a touch of prestige and purpose, reinforcing the concert’s theme of celebrating excellence while inspiring future generations.
Security at the event venue was top-notch, turnout of attendance impressive, and the atmosphere electric throughout the night.
Meanwhile, guests and participants had described the event as “historic, well-organized, and truly uplifting.”
