News
FG Threatens Revocation Of Idle Coal Bloc Licenses
The National Council on Privatisation (NCP), yesterday in Abuja, threatened to revoke all idle coal bloc licenses in the country.
The threat was issued after a meeting of the NCP presided over by its Chairman, Vice President Namadi Sambo at the Presidential Villa in Abuja.
The Minister of Mines and Steel Development, Mr Musa Sada, told newsmen that the decision was to ensure that all privatised coal blocs were operational.
Musa said there were 15 coal blocs in the country out of which nine were allotted to private investors while six were reserved for the coal-to-power programme.
“The coal blocs are actually those belonging to the Nigeria Coal Corporation. In the last attempt to privatise them, three of them were successfully bought.
“The remaining 12 are still available out of which six were taken out and dedicated to the coal-to-power programme and their development will be supervised by the Ministry of Power.
“It is the rest that have been allocated, including those three that are successful. We are not going to sit back just because they have been successfully acquired.
“If you don’t operate it, we will still call you for discussion and if you are not ready, you will relinquish it for people that are ready’’, he said.
Musa said in line with the provisions of the Mineral Mining Act, all affected allottees had been given one month’s notice to explain why their licenses should not be revoked.
The Minister of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo, who joined Musa in the briefing, decried the existence of idle coal blocs in the country.
He said; “there are many people with licenses for coal blocs but unfortunately have not developed them.
“This is costing the country huge sums of money with regards to power production and importation of coal by some companies in Nigeria to produce their own power.
“This is not acceptable, the NCP has now decided to do something very proactive to make sure that those who are holding on to coal blocs are shown the way out of these licenses.
“There is no reason why we will be looking for coal to produce power but people are sitting on this resource and refusing to develop them. I don’t think it is a patriotic thing to do’’, he said.
According to Nebo, the decision of NCP is to ensure that those who do not want to produce coal immediately will have their licenses withdrawn.
News
198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class
News
Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council trains tra 1,000 teachers
News
RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE
The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.
The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.
Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee
highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.
“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.
Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.
The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.
