Opinion
Why Blame GEJ?
A month ago, Nigerians
woke up with the news of over 200 girls abducted in a secondary school in Chibok, Borno State by Boko Haram Islamic sect.
Many Nigerians saw the incident as one too many in the activities of the insurgents as the faith of the girls now lies in their hands.
Subsequently, this has raised sympathy from all and sundry with different groups carrying out rallies and protests calling for the release of the girls and placards with the hash tag “Bring back our girls” an order of the day all over the world.
Sadly, all efforts made by the country’s military, meeting of the President and Security Chiefs as well as advise by elder statesmen to bring back the girls have proved abortive. Even the external help promised by the United States, France and other countries seem not to be changing anything so far.
Likewise, the calls by some section of the society for the resignation of President Goodluck Jonathan on basis of incompetence seems not to be the solution to the problem.
It is therefore necessary for Nigerians to shift attention to some revelations that emanated from the meeting of the first lady, Dame Patience Jonathan and the key players of the Chibok Saga, especially the Principal of the school, Hajiya Kwamdura who gave two contradictory accounts of the Chibok kidnap, along with all the Government Girls Secondary School Chibok teachers and the Borno State Commissioner for Education.
The Principal should be made to tell Nigerians and indeed the whole world why she gave two different reports about the sheddy incident. She should also explain the whereabouts of the boys who according to West Africa Examination Council (WAEC) registered to write exams in the same Chibok and why her daughter and all the staff residing in the school were left out the abduction as well as so many other questions left unanswered.
Appropriate authorities should make Hayiya Kwamdura the first suspect because according to her interview with the Punch Newspapers on April 27, 2014, “When it happened, I was not in the school premises. I went to Maiduguri for a medical check up. I was called by my daughter around 11.30 in the night. She told me that some insurgents were in the school and were trying to escape. That was how I heard. My daughter resides in my house, which is located inside the school. We were together in the house and I left her.”
She also told AP News as reported on April 17 2014 that the students were kidnapped because of a terrible mistake. She said the insurgents arrived after midnight at the school wearing military fatigues and posing as soldiers – a common tactic used by the insurgents. She said she believed them when they told her that they needed to move the girls for their own safety. So she allowed the extremists posing as soldiers to load the students on to the back of a truck. It was only as the armed men were leaving, and started shooting that she realized her mistake. The militants killed a soldier and a police officer guarding the school, she said.
The Borno State government on the other hand, was allegedly written a letter by the Supervising Minister of Education, Nyesom Wike, not to conduct WAEC exams in the school in question for some security reasons. But the State government claimed ignorant of the letter and the warning and sent innocent children to the death zone to be consumed. For over a month now, these children are being made to pay for what they know nothing about, while their parents, relations and friends groan in pains.
Yet, in the midst of all these lies and denials some people blame the President for the unfortunate incident. I think it is high time Nigerians stood up to their responsibilities and learn to own up to their mistakes instead of apportioning blames where it is not necessary.
The President is only one man and cannot be everywhere at the same time. So the blame should not be entirely for him but for those who are directly responsible for the children for charity they said, begins at home.
It is high time all and sundry particularly the community heads, elders, youths, politicians became involved in the security of lives and properties in our various communities if we must win this war against terrorism. Allowing the President, the military and other security agencies to fight the war alone will only continue to cause us more pain and agony.
Ijeoma Tubosia
Opinion
Time and Season Can Tell
Opinion
Why Adaeze Deserves A Second Chance
Opinion
Empowering Youth Through Agriculture
Quote:”While job seeking youths should continuously acquire skills and explore opportunities within their immediate environment as well as in the global space through the use of digital platforms, government, corporate/ multinational organizations or the organised private sector should generate skills and provide the enabling environment for skills acquisition, through adequate funding and resettlement packages that will provide sustainable economic life for beneficiaries”.
The Governor of Rivers State, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, recently urged youths in the Rivers State to take advantage of the vast opportunities available to become employers of labour and contribute meaningfully to the growth and development of the State. Governor Fubara noted that global trends increasingly favour entrepreneurship and innovation, and said that youths in Rivers State must not be left behind in harnessing these opportunities. The Governor, represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr Benibo Anabraba, made this known while declaring open the 2026 Job Fair organised by the Rivers State Government in partnership with the Nigeria Employers’ Consultative Association (NECA) in Port Harcourt. The Governor acknowledged the responsibility of government to create jobs for its teeming youth population but noted that it is unrealistic to absorb all job seekers into the civil service.
“As a government, we recognise our duty to provide employment opportunities for our teeming youths. However, we also understand that not all youths can be accommodated within the civil service. This underscores the need to encourage entrepreneurship across diverse sectors and to partner with other stakeholders, including the youths themselves, so they can transition from being job seekers to employers of labour,” he said. It is necessary to State that Governor Fubara has not only stated the obvious but was committed to drive youth entrepreneurship towards their self-reliance and the economic development of the State It is not news that developed economies of the world are skilled driven economies. The private sector also remains the highest employer of labour in private sector driven or capitalist economy though it is also the responsibility of government to create job opportunities for the teeming unemployed youth population in Nigeria which has the highest youth unemployed population in the subSahara Africa.
The lack of job opportunities, caused partly by the Federal Government’s apathy to job creation, the lack of adequate supervision of job opportunities economic programmes, lack of employable skills by many youths in the country have conspired to heighten the attendant challenges of unemployment. The challenges which include, “Japa” syndrome (travelling abroad for greener pastures), that characterises the labour market and poses threat to the nation’s critical sector, especially the health and medical sector; astronomical increase in the crime rate and a loss of interest in education. While job seeking youths should continuously acquire skills and explore opportunities within their immediate environment as well as in the global space through the use of digital platforms, government, corporate/ multinational organizations or the organised private sector should generate skills and provide the enabling environment for skills acquisition, through adequate funding and resettlement packages that will provide sustainable economic life for beneficiaries.
While commending the Rivers State Government led by the People First Governor, Sir Siminilayi Fubara for initiating “various training and capacity-building programmes in areas such as ICT and artificial intelligence, oil and gas, maritime, and the blue economy, among others”, it is note-worthy that the labour market is dynamic and shaped by industry-specific demands, technological advancements, management practices and other emerging factors. So another sector the Federal, State and Local Governments should encourage youths to explore and harness the abounding potentials, in my considered view, is Agriculture. Agriculture remains a veritable solution to hunger, inflation, and food Insecurity that ravages the country. No doubt, the Nigeria’s arable landmass is grossly under-utilised and under-exploited.
In recent times, Nigerians have voiced their concerns about the persistent challenges of hunger, inflation, and the general increase in prices of goods and commodities. These issues not only affect the livelihoods of individuals and families but also pose significant threats to food security and economic stability in the country. The United Nations estimated that more than 25 million people in Nigeria could face food insecurity this year—a 47% increase from the 17 million people already at risk of going hungry, mainly due to ongoing insecurity, protracted conflicts, and rising food prices. An estimated two million children under five are likely to be pushed into acute malnutrition. (Reliefweb ,2023). In response, Nigeria declared a state of emergency on food insecurity, recognizing the urgent need to tackle food shortages, stabilize rising prices, and protect farmers facing violence from armed groups. However, without addressing the insecurity challenges, farmers will continue to struggle to feed their families and boost food production.
In addition, parts of northwest and northeast Nigeria have experienced changes in rainfall patterns making less water available for crop production. These climate change events have resulted in droughts and land degradations; presenting challenges for local communities and leading to significant impact on food security. In light of these daunting challenges, it is imperative to address the intricate interplay between insecurity and agricultural productivity. Nigeria can work toward ensuring food security, reducing poverty, and fostering sustainable economic growth in its vital agricultural sector. In this article, I suggest solutions that could enhance agricultural production and ensure that every state scales its agricultural production to a level where it can cater to 60% of the population.
This is feasible and achievable if government at all levels are intentional driving the development of the agricultural sector which was the major economic mainstay of the Country before the crude oil was struck in commercial quantity and consequently became the nation’s monolithic revenue source. Government should revive the moribund Graduate Farmers Scheme and the Rivers State School-to-Land agricultural programmes to operate concurrently with other skills acquisition and development programmes. There should be a consideration for investment in mechanized farming and arable land allocation. State and local governments should play a pivotal role in promoting mechanized farming and providing arable land for farming in communities. Additionally, allocating arable land enables small holder farmers to expand their operations and contribute to food security at the grassroots level.
Nigeria can unlock the potential of its agricultural sector to address the pressing needs of its population and achieve sustainable development. Policymakers and stakeholders must heed Akande’s recommendations and take decisive action to ensure a food-secure future for all Nigerians.
By: Igbiki Benibo
