Education
UNESCO Alerts On Problems Of Sub-Saharan School Children
The UNESCO Education for All Global Monitoring Report (EAGMR) on Thursday said sub-Saharan Africa accounted for 44 per cent of children battling to go to school.
The figure is contained in a statement issued by Kate Redman, the Communications Specialist, Education For All Global Monitoring Report (EFAGMR) of UNESCO in Abuja.
The statement noted that the 44 per cent was from the 28.5 million children affected in sub-Saharan Africa, while 19 per cent of the children were affected in South and West Asia and 14 per cent in Arab states.
The UNESCO report indicated that the vast majority of the 95 per cent of out-of-school children live in low and lower-middle income countries.
It added that girls who constituted 55 per cent of the total, were the worst affected, as they were often the victims of rape and sexual violence that accompanied armed conflicts.
It stated that in almost a third of the world’s out-of-school adolescents, 20 million live in conflict affected countries, adding that 54 per cent of them were women.
According to the statement, the number of out-of-school children has fallen globally from 60 million in 2008 to 57 million in 2011.
It, however, noted that the decrease was yet to reach children in conflict-affected countries “as they make up 50 per cent of children who are denied education”.
The statement also revealed that the share of humanitarian aid for education had declined from two per cent in 2009 to 1.4 per cent in 2011.
“Not only does education receive a small share overall, but it also receives the smallest proportion of the amount requested from humanitarian aid of any sector,’’ it added.
Cavaco Silva’s move prompted sharp criticism in a country that has descended into its worst economic slump since the 1970s under the weight of austerity imposed by the bailout.
Portuguese assets fell in response. Stocks declined 1.4 per cent and 10-year bond yields climbed six basis points to 6.95 per cent.
“The president of the republic decided to overcome the political stalemate between the parties in the ruling coalition by adding another problem to the one that already existed,’’ wrote daily Publico in an editorial. “He decided to take power.’’
Such accusations are not made lightly in a country that had Western Europe’s longest dictatorship under Antonio Salazar.
Under Portugal’s constitution, the president has the power to dissolve parliament and call elections.
Cavaco Silva said the coalition government would remain in office but he rejected a proposed cabinet reshuffle by the ruling Social Democrats and their junior coalition partner, the rightist CDS-PP party.
The crisis was sparked by the resignation of Foreign Minister Paulo Portas last week, threatening the continuation of the government as Portas leads the rightist junior coalition party, the CDS-PP.
Prime Minister Pedro Passos Coelho held emergency talks last week with Portas and announced on Saturday that he would promote Portas to become deputy prime minister and put him in charge of economic policy coordination to fix the rift.
A senior cabinet minister in the former Socialist government, Pedro Silva Pereira, said the president’s intervention had thrown the future into doubt.
The plan would have avoided the necessity of elections in the short-term, which could have interrupted reforms under the bailout and negotiations with creditors.
“After the turmoil of last week when it seemed a solution had been found, the announcement of the president comes as a surprise,’’ said analysts at Espirito Santo Research in a note.
Education
UNIPort Senate Grants Two-Year Amnesty to U2010–U2018 Students
Education
Education Commissioner Seeks media collaboration in Rivers
The River State Commissioner for Education, Dr Peters Nwagor has called on media practitioners in Rivers State to deploy their various communication platforms toward promoting government programmes and policies aimed at achieving sustainable development in the education sector. Dr. Nwagor made the appeal when members of the Etche Ethnic Practicing Journalists (EEPJ) paid him a courtesy visit in Office in Port Harcourt. The Commissioner emphasized the strategic role of the media in shaping public perception, promoting government initiatives, and supporting policies capable of improving the quality of education and human capital development in the state. According to him, constructive media engagement remains essential in creating public awareness on educational reforms, students’ welfare, infrastructural improvements, and other interventions being implemented by the state government. Speaking on the recent appro
Education
IAUE holds 44th convocation May 8–9
-
Editorial20 hours agoEnough Of Xenophobic Attacks On Nigerians
-
Nation19 hours agoRSU, Otonti Nduka Foundation Hold Centenary Conference, Unveil Book on Values in Nigeria
-
Oil & Energy19 hours agoRivers PETROAN Elects 12-Member Executive
-
Environment21 hours agoMOSOP – Tinubu Not Sincere With Ogoni People For Oil Resumption
-
News1 day agoFubara, Wife Hail Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Initiative …As Over 6,800 Families Benefit From Largesse In Rivers
-
Politics20 hours ago
APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race
-
Maritime22 hours agoProducts, Others, To Arrive Lagos Ports Today — MPA
-
Politics20 hours ago
Reps Speaker Secures APC Return Ticket For Fifth Term
