News
Why Nigeria Lost 9m Barrels In One Month – Military
The Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), Air Marshall Oluseyi Petinrin, has given reasons why Nigeria lost over nine million barrels of crude oil to illegal bunkering in one month alone.
Petinrin said that lack of effective regulation was one of the factors responsible for illegal crude oil bunkering in the country, and specifically cost “oil companies over nine million barrels of crude oil in January 2011”.
Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), Air Marshal Oluseyi Petinrin, said yesterday that lack of effective regulation was one of the factors responsible for illegal crude oil bunkering in the country.
The Chief of Defence Staff said this at the House of Representatives Joint Committee on Petroleum Resources (Upstream) and Navy public hearing on illegal crude oil bunkering in Abuja.
He said that measures had been put in place by security agencies to effectively check activities of oil thieves in the country.
The defence chief said that there were no pirates in the county’s waters but some level of criminality.
He said the Navy needed more ships to effectively monitor the creeks and the high sea.
Petinrin said that all boats and badges operating in the Niger Delta region were being registered by the Armed Forces.
“The registration will help us to determine what the boats and badges are carrying,” he said.
He blamed government agencies saddled with the responsibilities of registering boats and badges of not performing their duties.
In his presentation, Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Ola Ibrahim said that lack of information sharing among security agencies was hampering fight against crude oil theft.
He noted that activities of insiders who were former staff of oil companies was helping oil thieves who had already-made market for their products.
News
198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class
News
Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council trains tra 1,000 teachers
News
RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE
The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.
The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.
Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee
highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.
“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.
Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.
The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.
