Connect with us

News

State Security: Jonathan Woos Lake Chad Commission

Published

on

President Goodluck Jonathan has called on member States of Lake Chad Basin Commission (LCBC) to develop new security plans to address the spate of violence in their territories.

Jonathan made the call at the opening session of the 14th Summit of the LCBC holding in  N’diamena, the Chadian capital.

Jonathan who arrived N’djamena last Monday morning to join five other Heads of State and Government for the Summit, expressed concern at the new spate of insecurity and the threat to peace around the borders of the lake.

He said the perpetrators, particularly in Nigeria, were taking advantage of the free movement around the border areas and urged member states to regard the security threat as capable of affecting the sub region.

Jonathan stated that the terror attacks would have wider implication on peace in the West African sub region.

The President suggested the expansion of the mandate of the existing multi-national joint task force around the lake, as part of measures to contain the security threats.

The President also underscored the urgent need to give a new lease of life to the activities of the commission to move it forward.

He said that after 48 years of existence, there was the need to provide the LCBC Secretariat with the necessary tools to function as a modern and forward looking organisation.

Jonathan challenged the member states to show more commitment to saving the lake.

He noted the effect of climate change and its socio-economic impact on human habitation, the ecology and bio-diversity of the basin.

The President re-affirmed the commitment of Nigeria to meet its financial obligations to the commission and called on other member states to also meet their obligations.

On equitable sharing of the resources of the basin, Jonathan said the commission should adopt the “Water Charter’’ initiative of the organisation.

He said the charter, if adopted, would also set the basis for the participation of international development partners in saving the basin from extinction.

Jonathan expressed delight on the feasibility study on inter-basin water transfer from Oubangi River in Central Africa Republic to Lake Chad.

Earlier in his remark, the Executive Secretary of the commission, Alhaji Sanusi Abdullahi, had stressed the need to reverse the drastic shrinking of the lake, in order to harness the resources of the basin in a more sustainable manner.

He said that the lake, which served as a common heritage and source of livelihood to over 30 million inhabitants, would go into extinction if urgent measures were not taken.

Abdullahi said that the lake had shrunk from its approximated 25,000 sq km coverage in 1962 to the present 1,300 sq km radius.

The Executive Secretary said the estimated cost of the water transfer project was N14.5 billion US Dollars.

He said with the exclusion of Nigeria and Chad which updated its contribution, a sum of 4.34 million CFA remained outstanding against other member states.

Abdullahi expressed gratitude to Nigeria and Chad for payment of regular contribution and commitment to the activities of the commission.

President Issufou Maahamadou of Niger, Francois Bozize of Central Africa Republic, and Idris Debby, of the host country attended the summit.

Cameroon, Libya as well as Sudan which had been granted observer status were represented at the summit.

Meanwhile, the directive by the Federal Government to close the country’s border in some troubled parts of Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau States with some neighbouring countries is taking a negative turn on the economies of the latter.

Nigeria’s Ambassador in Chad, Alhaji Abdullahi Omaki, disclosed this in an interview with newsmen yesterday in N’djamena.

Omaki said that Chad and Cameroon were the most affected by the directive.

“The volume of trade, largely unrecorded, is about 80 per cent in favour of Nigeria.

“Most of the goods and services coming into Chad, 80 per cent come from Nigeria with less than 20 per cent coming from Cameroon.

“If the borders were not closed and you go through the Banki road, the Gambo road you will see the numbers of trailers that are plying that route on daily basis.

“Now that the border has been closed with effect from the end of last year, if you ask the Cameroonian authority, they will tell you how much they are losing in terms of revenue that they collect from these vehicles that pass through Banki and Gamboru.’’

Continue Reading

News

198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class

Published

on

A total of 198 students of the University of Benin (UNIBEN ) Edo State, bagged a First Class degree out of 14,083 students to be awarded first degree at the institution’s 51st Convocation and Founder’s Day ceremony.
Vice Chancellor of UNIBEN, Prof. Edoba Omoregie, disclosed this on Monday in Benin at a pre-convocation press briefing.
He said 4,217 students bagged a Second Class Upper,  7, 928 got a Second Class Lower, while 578 bagged a Third Class degree.
He said 15 new approved programmes by the National Universities Commission (NUC) would commence in the 2025/2026 academic session.
According to him, “The wheel of progress is on course and moving steadily in the University of Benin.  This administration is poised to deliver on its mandate of effective, practical teaching, sound learning, result-oriented research and impactful community service.
“We must applaud the President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, for establishing NELFUND, and by so doing significantly reducing the financial stress of students in the process of acquiring tertiary education.   We enjoin students and their parents to take full advantage of the federal government’s benevolence in instituting the fund.”
Prof. Omoregie disclosed that Nigeria’s Minister of Regional Development, Engr. Abubakar Momoh, would deliver the Founders’ Day lecture with the topic,  “Reforms for a Shared Prosperity”.
The UNIBEN VC said Director General of the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs and Former Vice Chancellor of Igbinedion University, Okada, Edo State, Professor Eghosa Osaghae, would deliver the Convocation Lecture on the theme, “Making Our Universities Great”.
Continue Reading

News

Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council  trains tra 1,000 teachers

Published

on

The last batch of 400 public school teachers in Bayelsa State on Monday commenced training under the sponsorship of Bayelsa Education Development Trust Fund (EDTF) and the British Council.
This batch will bring to 1000 the number of public school teachers in the state who have benefited in the partnership arrangement.School supplies
The EDTF, British Council and Teachers Training, Registration and Certification Board collaborated in the capacity development programme.
Speaking at the opening ceremony of the five day capacity building program, Commissioner for Education Dr Gentle Emelah reiterated the commitment of the Bayelsa government to training and capacity of teachers in the state.
He noted that the improved teaching methodology in the state was responsible for the state producing the best student in the 2025 West African School Certificate Examinations.
Prof Ebimiowei, Executive Secretary at EDTF, noted that the collaboration is aimed at improving learning outcomes for pupils and students of public primary and secondary schools in Bayelsa.
“You will agree with me that until the cutlass is sharpened, it will have no impact on the hands of the farmer and so it is with our teachers., you need to be sharpened very well to give good delivery in your various classes and schools.
“Let me at this juncture appreciate the British Council for accepting to train 1,000 teachers, 50 education managers and 60 trainers for Bayelsa,” he said.
On his part, Chairman of the EDTF board, High Chief Fidelis Agbiki expressed appreciation to the Commissioner for Education Dr Gentle Emelah for his supportive role to the fund.
Agbiki urged the beneficiaries to justify the enormous resources invested by the government of Bayelsa by being dedicated within the five days the exercise would last.
He said; “This board will not operate on business as usual but on business unusual as we will push the frontiers outside the box to ensure that we get value for money,” Agbiki said.
 Chairman of Development Partners Committee of the EDTF applauded the commitment of the partners for the successful completion of the programme, urging them to sustain the tempo
Speaking on the programme, Mr Fwanshishak Daniel, Head, English and Schools, British Council noted that the Bayelsa government had shown exemplary commitment to educational development.
He explained that the commitment has enabled the British Council and Bayelsa government to achieve within one year greater milestones that took other states three years to achieve.
He explained that the resources of the British Council have been made available to Bayelsa with the training of 60 resource persons from the state who will in turn train other teachers to improve education.
According to Daniel, the training will lay emphasis on new teaching methods, use of digital tools for self development and access to school amongst others.
Dr Peremoboere Ogola, Acting Chairman of TTRC, which facilitated training, thanked the EDTF for supporting training of teachers in Bayelsa with world class resources of the British Council.
She noted that another batch of newly recruited teachers are currently undergoing training at State government owned University of Africa, Toru Orua, Sagbama LGA in Bayelsa
Continue Reading

News

RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE

Published

on

The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.

The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.

Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee

highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.

“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.

Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.

The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.

Continue Reading

Trending