Connect with us

News

RSG Pays Abonnema Wharf Landlords Compensation, Today

Published

on

The Rivers State Government yesterday commended the process
of payment of about N2.1bn compensation to landlords and property owners at the
Abonnema Wharf waterfront in Port Harcourt in line with its urban renewal
policy.

Addressing the landlords and other stakeholders at the
auditorium of the Ministry of Justice at the state secretariat, Port Harcourt,
the Hon Commissioner for Urban Development, Hon Tammy Danagogo assured that the
process of payment of the compensation which begins today will be transparent
and inclusive of all genuine interest as no property owner will be left out.

Hon Danagogo, disclosed that modalities had already been put
in place to ensure that the complaints that trailed the payment of compensation
to Njemanze waterfront landlord is properly addressed.

Apart from the valuation, assessment and verification of
existing properties at the Abonnema waterfront, the commissioner said two
committees will be set up to supervise the process of payment and  receive complaints from property owners
respectively.

He explained that the two committees will comprise of the
consultants involved in the exercise and nominees from the ministry.

According to the commissioner, the initiative is to ensure
that the process of payment of the compensation is to a large extent,
independent of the ministry’s involvement.

Hon Danagogo further appealed to the property owners to see
the acquisition of the area as part of their contributions to the development
of the state, and restated the commitment of the Rivers State Government
towards the transformation of the area.

Also speaking, the Hon commissioner for Information and
Communications, Mrs Ibim Semenitari called for the cooperation from the people
of Rivers State to make the urban renewal effort of the government a reality.

The commissioner, said the acquisition of the land was not a
punishment for the people but was geared towards the promotion of the standard
of living of the people.

Stakeholders at the event commended the state government for
its gesture, and called on the government to deal directly with the property
owners in the payment of the compensation.

The Tide recalls that as part of its urban renewal policy,
the Rivers Government had planned demolition of all waterfronts in Port
Harcourt since 2008.

Also at the event were representatives of the World Bank
NGOs and foreign observers.

Meanwhile, the Rivers State Government has ordered the
immediate stoppage of work on all dredging activities in the state.

A statement signed by the state commissioner for
environment, entitled: “Stop Work Order” and made available to The Tide in Port
Harcourt, last Wednesday, listed the form of dredging activities affected by
the order to include surface mining of laterite in the state.

According to the ministry, the order became necessary
following the quest by the state government to protect the environment from the
negative impact of indiscriminate and unregulated dredging operations.

“This became necessary as the government, in her quest to
protect the environment from the negative impact of indiscriminate and
unregulated dredging operations, has decided to re-evaluate and re-engineer
dredging and surface mining of sand and laterite in Rivers State, particularly
around Greater Port Harcourt City axis,” it said.

While warning that any violation of the order shall be met
with the appropriate punishment, the ministry also directed all operators in
the dredging and surface mining industry in the state, to contact the dredging
and monitoring unit of the ministry for further directive.

Meanwhile, the Rivers State Ministry of Environment has
invited all environmental consultants, analytical laboratories and other
professionals to apply for registration with the ministry to undertake services
such as sand search, bathymetric survey and hydrological survey.

They have also been tasked to apply to undertake
hydro-graphic survey, environmental impact assessment (EIA), and environmental
assessment report (EAR).

Continue Reading

News

198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class

Published

on

A total of 198 students of the University of Benin (UNIBEN ) Edo State, bagged a First Class degree out of 14,083 students to be awarded first degree at the institution’s 51st Convocation and Founder’s Day ceremony.
Vice Chancellor of UNIBEN, Prof. Edoba Omoregie, disclosed this on Monday in Benin at a pre-convocation press briefing.
He said 4,217 students bagged a Second Class Upper,  7, 928 got a Second Class Lower, while 578 bagged a Third Class degree.
He said 15 new approved programmes by the National Universities Commission (NUC) would commence in the 2025/2026 academic session.
According to him, “The wheel of progress is on course and moving steadily in the University of Benin.  This administration is poised to deliver on its mandate of effective, practical teaching, sound learning, result-oriented research and impactful community service.
“We must applaud the President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, for establishing NELFUND, and by so doing significantly reducing the financial stress of students in the process of acquiring tertiary education.   We enjoin students and their parents to take full advantage of the federal government’s benevolence in instituting the fund.”
Prof. Omoregie disclosed that Nigeria’s Minister of Regional Development, Engr. Abubakar Momoh, would deliver the Founders’ Day lecture with the topic,  “Reforms for a Shared Prosperity”.
The UNIBEN VC said Director General of the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs and Former Vice Chancellor of Igbinedion University, Okada, Edo State, Professor Eghosa Osaghae, would deliver the Convocation Lecture on the theme, “Making Our Universities Great”.
Continue Reading

News

Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council  trains tra 1,000 teachers

Published

on

The last batch of 400 public school teachers in Bayelsa State on Monday commenced training under the sponsorship of Bayelsa Education Development Trust Fund (EDTF) and the British Council.
This batch will bring to 1000 the number of public school teachers in the state who have benefited in the partnership arrangement.School supplies
The EDTF, British Council and Teachers Training, Registration and Certification Board collaborated in the capacity development programme.
Speaking at the opening ceremony of the five day capacity building program, Commissioner for Education Dr Gentle Emelah reiterated the commitment of the Bayelsa government to training and capacity of teachers in the state.
He noted that the improved teaching methodology in the state was responsible for the state producing the best student in the 2025 West African School Certificate Examinations.
Prof Ebimiowei, Executive Secretary at EDTF, noted that the collaboration is aimed at improving learning outcomes for pupils and students of public primary and secondary schools in Bayelsa.
“You will agree with me that until the cutlass is sharpened, it will have no impact on the hands of the farmer and so it is with our teachers., you need to be sharpened very well to give good delivery in your various classes and schools.
“Let me at this juncture appreciate the British Council for accepting to train 1,000 teachers, 50 education managers and 60 trainers for Bayelsa,” he said.
On his part, Chairman of the EDTF board, High Chief Fidelis Agbiki expressed appreciation to the Commissioner for Education Dr Gentle Emelah for his supportive role to the fund.
Agbiki urged the beneficiaries to justify the enormous resources invested by the government of Bayelsa by being dedicated within the five days the exercise would last.
He said; “This board will not operate on business as usual but on business unusual as we will push the frontiers outside the box to ensure that we get value for money,” Agbiki said.
 Chairman of Development Partners Committee of the EDTF applauded the commitment of the partners for the successful completion of the programme, urging them to sustain the tempo
Speaking on the programme, Mr Fwanshishak Daniel, Head, English and Schools, British Council noted that the Bayelsa government had shown exemplary commitment to educational development.
He explained that the commitment has enabled the British Council and Bayelsa government to achieve within one year greater milestones that took other states three years to achieve.
He explained that the resources of the British Council have been made available to Bayelsa with the training of 60 resource persons from the state who will in turn train other teachers to improve education.
According to Daniel, the training will lay emphasis on new teaching methods, use of digital tools for self development and access to school amongst others.
Dr Peremoboere Ogola, Acting Chairman of TTRC, which facilitated training, thanked the EDTF for supporting training of teachers in Bayelsa with world class resources of the British Council.
She noted that another batch of newly recruited teachers are currently undergoing training at State government owned University of Africa, Toru Orua, Sagbama LGA in Bayelsa
Continue Reading

News

RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE

Published

on

The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.

The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.

Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee

highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.

“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.

Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.

The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.

Continue Reading

Trending