News
Minister Reassures On 370,000 Jobs
The Minister of Health, Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu, said in Abuja on Tuesday that savings from fuel subsidy withdrawal would immediately provide at least 370, 000 jobs for youths and women in environmental sanitation projects across the country.
Chukwu, who disclosed this in Abuja when he featured at a News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) forum, said the projects were part of the Federal Government’s efforts to empower youths through job creation.
He said any job involving direct labour in the projects would be handled by youths and women in the areas where such projects were cited.
The minister said the ministry targeted 10,000 youths in each of the 36 states of the federation and Abuja, adding that the government was concerned about job creation for Nigerians.
He said the president had given a directive that youths and women should be employed for environmental sanitation work.
Chukwu said the refurbishing and renovation of schools, hospitals and clinics be done by direct labour through youth employment.
“We are talking about an average of 10,000 per state and if you include the FCT you are talking about 370,000 in the first instance but of course, it could be more as the programme continues.
“Now even for erosion control, even for deforestation, you will get women to do the planting and you will pay them, this will offer employment. “Then you look at the issue of training for vocational jobs; look at issues of having tailors, hair dressers, printing, these days even to build a house you are looking for people from outside the country when our youths are not doing anything; so we are expecting part of the money to train them.
Chukwu told newsmen that President Goodluck Jonathan inaugurated a community-based health development programme in Isanlu, Kogi, last year as part of providing facilities for people at the grassroots, saying that the government had also identified 50 other communities to benefit from the programme.
He said government was making efforts at eradicating polio, adding that many workers would be recruited to sensitise the public on the need to immunise children.
News
198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class
News
Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council trains tra 1,000 teachers
News
RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE
The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.
The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.
Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee
highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.
“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.
Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.
The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.
