Connect with us

Politics

Kanu’s Prosecution Should Follow Due Process – Wike

Published

on

As reactions continue to trail the eventual arrest of the leader of the proscribed Indigenous People Of Biafra (IPOB), Rivers State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike, has advised the Federal Government to follow due process in his prosecution.
Governor Wike emphasised the need for the Federal Government to make conscientious efforts towards ensuring that that due process was being observed in the prosecution efforts to allay the fear by some people that Nnamdi Kalu was being treated differently because he hails from a certain section of the country.
The governor who made the statement, during an interview with Arise Television, said for Federal Government to address insecurity crisis facing the country, the same dragnet deployed to arrest Kanu must as a matter of urgency be extended to bandits, Boko Haram and Miyethi Allah terrorising the country.
According to him, though I do not agree with Kanu in principle, that does not mean that you will not allow the law to take its course.
He insisted that government must arrest every wanted terrorists in its watchlist and ensure they faced the full wrath of the law.
“ You cannot afford to discriminate at this point. You cannot say because Nnamdi Kanu is from a particular area, let us prosecute him. The same thing must apply to all other people, the bandits, miyetti Allah”.
Last week witnessed the harvest of more key projects and flag-off of more people-oriented projects under Governor Wike’s administration.
The projects that were inaugurated last week were; the reconstructed Rumuigbo, Chief Johnson Amadi,  Igbodo, Finima, Rumuopareli, Bauchi, Ohia and Isaac Boro streets in Old GRA,Port Harcourt, reconstructed William Jumbo, Ernest Ikoli, Eleme, Akassa, Abana, and Mbiama streets in Old GRA, Port Harcourt, Rivers State Rehabilitation Center, Iriebe in Obio/Akpor, and the Opobo axis of the Unity Road.
New projects flagged off included Mgbuitanwo community road, Emohua Local Government Area, Woji-Aleto-Alesa-Refinery road, and sandfilling and land reclamation of Okrika New Town and Okochiri Internal Roads in Okrika Local Government Area.
Governor Wike said the completion of the Opobo axis of the Unity Road was a dream come through both for the people of the area and the state government. He expressed happiness that he fulfilled the campaign promise he made to the people of Opobo that they would travel home by road.
He also expressed appreciation to the former Governor of the state, Dr Peter Odili for conceiving the project. The Governor also directed his Special Adviser on Special Projects to liaise with the king and leaders of Opobo  on where they desired a new land to be sandfilled and reclaimed for them by the State Government.
Former Minister of Agriculture and Water Resources, Adamu Maina Waziri, who performed the inauguration, expressed gratitude to Governor Wike for solving critical needs of the Opobo people.
The Amanyanabo of Opobo, King Dandeson Douglas Jaja lauded Governor Wike and said that the people of his Kingdom would remain eternally grateful to him for the humanity he had brought to governance.
Also last week, the governor threatened to depose any monarch or leaders of the Community Development Committee (CDC) that attempted to extort money from companies handling government project.
Governor Wike who made the threat at the inauguration of the Rumuepirikom Flyover in Obio,/Akpor Local Government Area last Wednesday also warned youths in the state to resist the temptation of disrupting government projects in their communities, stressing that the era when government winked at such act was over.
Also within the week under review, the Rivers State Governor foresaw mass defection of politicians across parties. Disclosing this at the  inauguration ceremony of the roads in the Old GRA, Port Harcourt, Governor Wike said defection was part of the game as politicians would align towards 2023.
Gov Wike further revealed that there are secret meetings involving some state and National Assembly members in Abuja and advised those involved in such nefarious meetings to desist or face dire consequences.

The Rivers State Government also restated it’s commitment to the well being of the less privileged in the state, noting that any Government that does not take care of the less privileged in the society is bound to fail.

The Gov who stated this last Friday during the inauguration of the Rivers State Rehabilitation Center, Iriebe in Obio/Akpor Local Government Area commended the State Commissioner for Social Welfare and Rehabilitation, Mrs Inime Chinwenwo-Aguma for the success of her ministry particularly the new edifice being inaugurated.

As defection continue to rock the nation’s political landscape, Rivers State Governor , last week, reassured that Rivers State would ever remain the hub of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP).
He said no amount of crisis in the party would make the state loose it’s position in the party because of the numerous benefits enjoyed by the people of the state from the party.

He stated this last Thursday during the flag off ceremony for the sandfilling and land reclamation of Okrika New and Okochiri Internal Roads in Okrika Local Government Area.

By: Chris Oluoh

Continue Reading

Politics

Reps Speaker Secures APC Return Ticket For Fifth Term

Published

on

The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt Hon. Tajudeen Abbas, on Saturday emerged unopposed as the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate for Zaria Federal Constituency ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Rt Hon. Abbas secured the party’s ticket through an affirmation exercise conducted across the 13 electoral wards in the constituency.

The wards involved include Kwarbai A, Kwarbai B, Limancin-Kona, Unguwar Fatika, Unguwar Juma, Dutsen Abba, Gyallesu, Kufena, Dambo, Wuchichiri, Tudun Wada, Tukur-Tukur, and Kaura.

The exercise, which began simultaneously in all wards at about 10 a.m., recorded large turnout of APC members who gathered at various party offices across the constituency.

At Kwarbai B Ward, the Speaker’s ward, the process was conducted peacefully under the supervision of the ward APC Returning Officer, Malam Iliyasu Muhammad Balarabe, in the presence of Rt Hon. Abbas.

According to the ward APC secretary, Nafiu Sabo, the ward has over 10,000 registered members, but 220 members were accredited for the exercise.

Before the affirmation, Mallam Balarabe informed members that Rt Hon Abbas was the only aspirant who purchased nomination forms, underwent screening, and was cleared by the APC national leadership to contest the Zaria Federal Constituency seat.

Following a voice vote by accredited members, the Speaker was affirmed as the party’s candidate in the ward, a process replicated across the remaining 12 wards.

At the constituency collation centre, the APC Returning Officer for the House of Representatives primary in Zaria Federal Constituency, Dr. Hamisu Ibrahim Kubau, announced that 1,376 APC members across the 13 wards endorsed Rt Hon. Abbas as the party’s flag bearer.

He explained that although thousands of party members participated in the exercise, only accredited delegates were allowed to vote.

Dr. Kubau declared: “There are 13 wards in Zaria Federal Constituency, and only one aspirant purchased a form, was screened, and cleared. He is Rt. Hon. Abbas Tajudeen. After due process, we conducted affirmations across all wards.”

He added that the process was peaceful and monitored by officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and party representatives.

Chairman of the APC House of Representatives Primary Elections in Kaduna State, Senator Yakubu Oseni, described the outcome as a reflection of the Speaker’s popularity and acceptance among constituents.

He expressed confidence that Rt Hon Abbas would secure victory in the 2027 general elections.

Speaking after his declaration, Rt Hon. Abbas expressed appreciation to APC members for reaffirming their confidence in him.

Continue Reading

Politics

C’River APC Reps Members Cry Foul, Describe Primary Election As Charade

Published

on

Some members of the National Assembly (NASS) from Cross River State seeking reelection have cried foul over the All Progressives Congress (APC) primaries conducted on Saturday, describing the processes as a “charade.”

The incumbent Reps including Emily Inyang and Godwin Offionio, in separate interviews

protested the handling of the primaries conducted by the leadership of the party in the state, saying it was skewed against them.


The aspirants further described the primaries as a charade and an embarrassment to the state.

 

According to them, the House of Representatives primaries fell short of the provisions of both the Electoral Act as amended in 2026 and the party’s constitution.

 

They accused the leadership of the party in the state, backed by Governor Bassey Otu, of violating the party’s constitution in the conduct of the House of Representatives primaries across the state on Saturday.

 

Hon. Godwin Offiono, representing Ogoja/Yala Federal Constituency, particularly expressed disappointment with the primary that allegedly disenfranchised registered members of the party in his constituency.

Hon. Offiono asserted that having failed to arrive at a consensus, the party leadership opted for a direct primary to decide the candidate for the 2027 election.

 

“But what I witnessed today was not only alarming, but quite disheartening that our electoral system have not shown any improvement, especially now that we have a man of God in the person of the governor as the leader of the party.

 

“How do you declare a result by 9:00am even when the electoral materials were yet to arrive at Yala.

 

“As an aspirant, I couldn’t even vote or see the materials for my own primary at my Okuku ward in Yala Local Government Area, where I come from. But no matter what happens I am still in the race and have not stepped down for anybody.

 

“The governor had all the time in the world to drive the process of consensus but he never did. As a representative, I cannot even see my governor. I called, no response. I sent text no reply. I am treated as an out cast,” he lamented.

 

In an emotion laden tone during a telephone interview, Hon. Offiono further said: “I could not believe that first term NASS members like me can be treated in this shoddy manner even when I don’t know my offence.

 

“I have been a loyal party man. I appeal to the governor to do the right thing, follow the Electoral Act and party constitution in electing representatives.”

Similarly, Hon. Emil Inyang of Akamkpa/Biase Federal Constituency said he still remained in the race and had not stepped down for anybody.

 

According to him, “If this shenanigan called primary is allowed to stand, it would affect the party’s fortune in the general elections.

 

“My appeal to the governor is to allow the people to decide. And if they so voted against me, I will rest and not fight over anything.

 

“There was no stakeholders meeting held to decide on anything before now, and someone can not be unilaterally imposed on us all in the name of compromised primary,” he stated.

 

Continue Reading

Politics

APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race

Published

on

A coalition of support groups within the All Progressives Congress (APC) has protested the disqualification of former presidential aspirant, Mr Tein Jack-Rich, from the Rivers West Senatorial race ahead of the party’s primaries for the 2027 general elections.

The groups, in a statement issued on Saturday morning in Abuja, described the action of the party’s screening committee as unjust and capable of worsening internal divisions within the APC in Rivers State.

The statement, signed by the coalition’s National Coordinator, Dr. Bilal Galadima, and General Secretary, Hon. James Ogenyi, accused the party leadership in Rivers State of favouring politicians loyal to the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Chief Nyesom Wike, while sidelining long-standing members of the APC.

The coalition alleged that only aspirants aligned with Chief Wike were cleared to contest for elective positions in the state.

“How can our party allow only one man who is not a member of our party to make decisions or dictate the direction of our party?”, the group queried.

The coalition specifically faulted the exclusion of Mr Jack-Rich, describing him as a loyal party member who had supported the APC for more than 13 years and previously contested the party’s presidential ticket.

It also questioned the alleged clearance of Chief Felix Obua, whom it described as a recent entrant into the party and an ally of Chief Wike.

“How can our party disqualify Jack-Rich, a former presidential aspirant who has been loyal and supported our party for the last 13 years, only for our party to choose Felix Obua, a Wike loyalist who only joined the party three months ago?”, the statement read.

The group warned that failure by the APC leadership and National Working Committee (NWC) to address the matter as it could weaken the party’s structure in Rivers State ahead of the 2027 elections.

It called on party leaders to uphold internal democracy, reward loyalty and ensure a level playing field for all aspirants.

INEC TO BEGIN MEMBERSHIP VERIFICATION AS POLITICAL PARTIES SUBMIT REGISTER

All 22 registered political parties have successfully submitted their membership registers to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in compliance with the Electoral Act 2026, the Commission has said.

In a statement issued on Friday, Chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee, Mr Mohammed Haruna, said the submission followed the extension granted by the Commission after political parties raised concerns during a meeting on Tuesday, March 24, 2026, regarding the timeline provided in the Revised Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the 2027 general elections.

He said, “The Commission is pleased to note that all registered parties submitted their registers as of 8th May 2026, two days before the extended deadline.”

He recalled that following a meeting with political parties, the Commission, in a statement issued on the 27th of March, 2026, adjusted the deadline for the submission of party registers from 21st April 2026 to 10th May 2026 to align with the provisions of Section 77(4) of the Electoral Act 2026 and the actual dates fixed by political parties for their primaries.

Mr Haruna noted that political parties were accordingly allowed to conduct their primaries within the approved period from 23rd April 2026 to 30th May 2026, while the register of party members was required to be submitted to the Commission not later than 21 days before the conduct of their respective primaries.

He added, “INEC wishes to state that all registered political parties complied with the requirement within the extended timeframe and will subject the submitted registers to the necessary verification processes in line with the law.”

The Commission restated its commitment to the conduct of free, fair, credible and inclusive elections.

Continue Reading

Trending