Politics
Illegal Schools: RSG Sets Up Taskforce To Enforce Closure
Rivers State Government, last week, set up a taskforce to enforce the closure of unapproved private schools across the state.
Hon Commissioner for Information and Communications, Mr Paulinus Nsirim, disclosed this Wednesday at a press briefing after the first State Executive Council meeting in Government House, Port Harcourt.
According to the Honourable Commissioner, the Council also set up two Market Committees, to handle allocation of stalls at the Ogbum-nu-Abali Fruit Garden Market and the Rumuwoji Market, all in Port Harcourt.
The committees, he said, have till the end of this month to conclude the allocation.
Another major event last week in Government House, Port Harcourt, was the swearing-in of four new Judges by the Rivers State Governor , Chief Nyesom Wike. Three were sworn in as State High Court Judges while one was sworn in as State Customary Court of Appeal judge.
The Governor charged the newly sworn-in Judges to be fearless, firm and steadfast in dispensing justice for the development of the state.
Describing the Judiciary as the most powerful arm, with powers to correct or even upturn actions of the Executive, the Governor noted that the country would be better off if the Judiciary plays it’s constitutional roles well.
He also called on Judges interested in the Judges Quarters constructed by his administration to apply through the Commissioner of Justice.
Governor Wike has restated that he would not impose anybody on Rivers State as Governor as his second tenure expires in 2023.
Wike said this during the solidarity visit by the leaders and people of Orashi Region in Rivers State , Saturday in Government House, Port Harcourt .
He said: “ I will not impose anybody on Rivers people as Governor in 2023. I will not do it. I don’t even have that power, not to talk of giving it out “, adding that only God has such powers.
He also warnd against politics of bitterness and stressed that it had denied some communities in the state access to development.
“ Don’t allow anyone to sow seeds of discord among you. Politics should not divide us. Politics of bitterness doesn’t make sense”, he maintained.
He advised the people of Orashi Region to form a united front for development and condemned the invasion of Western Ahoada County High School , the Zonal Hospital, Ahoada and the Government Secondary School, Okarki by the people of the area.
Wike thanked the people for their support to his administration particularly during the election.
Former Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt Hon Chibudom Nwuche, thanked Governor Wike for siting key projects in Ekpeye.
Describing the governor as a man with large heart, Nwuche remarked that Wike was a beacon of hope who played politics of inclusiveness.
The Eze Egi of Ogba land, Prof Anele Nwokoma, in an address on behalf of Orashi people congratulated the Governor for his victory at the polls despite political gang up against the state.
He also thanked the Governor for the numerous projects, programmes, and positions that were accorded Orashi people by his administration.
Governor Wike , last week, appealed to traders and residents to cooperate with the Rivers State Government to deliver the three ongoing flyover bridges in Port Harcourt.
On Thursday, the Governor moved from shop to shop at Rebisi Flyover Bridge and Rumuogba Flyover Bridge appealing to traders and residents to vacate the buildings marked for demolition.
The Governor urged them to make sacrifices as the projects were in the interest of residents of the state.
Chris Oluoh
Politics
FG’s Economic Policies Not Working – APC Chieftain
A senator who represented Taraba Central, Mr Abubakar Yusuf, has declared that the economic policies of President Bola Tinubu are not yielding the expected results.
His comment is one of the strongest internal critiques yet from within the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
The comment underscores the growing dissatisfaction within sections of the ruling party over the direction and impact of the administration’s economic reforms amid rising living costs and fiscal pressures across the country.
Mr Yusuf, who served in the Senate between 2015 and 2023 under the platform of the APC, made the remarks during an appearance on national television.
Responding to a question on whether the administration’s economic direction, often referred to as Tinubunomics, was working, Mr Yusuf answered in the contrary.
“For me, it is not working. I am a member of the APC. I would be the last person to hide the facts”, he said.
He said while the government might be operating diligently within its policy structure, the framework itself is ill-suited to Nigeria’s current realities
“Within the policy framework, yes, they are doing their best, but it is not the framework that is suitable for Nigeria at the point in time that President Asiwaju came into power,” he said.
Mr Yusuf criticised the immediate removal of fuel subsidy on the day the president was sworn in, arguing that the decision lacked sufficient consultation and planning.
“I am one of those who say President Asiwaju ought to have waited. Not on the day he was sworn in to say subsidy is gone. On what basis?”, he asked.
He urged broader engagement before major fiscal decisions are taken.
“Sit down with your cabinet, sit down with your ministers, sit down with your advisers,” he said, dismissing the argument that subsidy removal was justified solely on grounds of corruption.
The former lawmaker identified “structural flaws” in the country’s budgeting system, particularly the envelope budgeting model.
“One of the basic problems is that before you budget, you should have a plan. The envelope system we have been operating has been you budget before you plan. That has been a major issue”, he said.
He argued that allocating spending ceilings without aligning them to concrete development strategies inevitably weakens implementation and delivery.
“If you give me an envelope which is contrary to my plan, whether it is plus or minus, there is no way I am going to implement my plan. It is bound to fail,” he said.
Mr Yusuf called for the scrapping of the envelope budgeting system, noting that he had consistently opposed it even during his years in the National Assembly.
“It is not good for us. It is not going to work well for us,” he said.
He further blamed poor capital releases and persistent deficit financing for undermining budget performance over the years.
“We could not meet 60 percent of our capital budget in all these years. No releases. If you make a budget and the release is very poor, there is no way the budget will be executed”, he stated.
According to him, weak fund disbursement mechanisms and reliance on deficit financing have entrenched a cycle of underperformance.
“Our budget ought to have been a surplus budget, but all our budgets have always been deficit financing budgets,” Mr Yusuf added.
Politics
Reps To Meet,’Morrow Over INEC’s 2027 Election Timetable
The Nigerian House of Representatives has resolved to reconvene for an emergency session tomorrow February 17, 2026, to deliberate on issues arising from the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) release of the timetable for the 2027 general elections.
The decision was disclosed in a statement issued by the House Spokesman, Rep. Akin Rotimi, who described the electoral body’s announcement as one of “constitutional and national significance.”
INEC had fixed February 20, 2027, for the Presidential and National Assembly elections.
According to the statement, members of the Green Chamber were notified of the emergency sitting through an internal memorandum from the Speaker’s office.
The session is expected to focus on legislative matters connected to the newly released timetable, reflecting the House’s resolve to act promptly on issues affecting the nation’s democratic process.
Rep. Rotimi noted that all related businesses would be treated with urgency and urged lawmakers to prioritise attendance in view of the importance of the deliberations.
INEC had on Friday formally unveiled the comprehensive schedule for the 2027 polls, including timelines for party primaries slated for July to September 2026, as well as the commencement of Continuous Voter Registration in April 2026.
The development comes amid ongoing consultations and proposed amendments to the Electoral Act ahead of the 2027 general elections.
Politics
Group Continues Push For Real Time Election Results Transmission
As the controversy over the transmission of election results continues across the country, the Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), a pro democracy organisation in the country, has criticised the National Assembly for not giving express approval to real time transmission of elections results.
To this end, the group is calling on all civil society organisations in the country to mobilise and push for a better Electoral Reform in the country.
This was contained in a press statement titled, “Defence For Human Rights and Democracy Demands Real Time Election Transmission of Result”, a copy of which was made available to newsmen in Port Harcourt.
The group described the refusal of compulsory real time transmission of result results by the Senate as undemocratic, adding that the situation will give room for election manipulation, rigging and voters apathy.
It said that the provision of mandatory real time transmission of election results would have significant improvement on the nation’s democracy.
According to the statement, “Since the return of democracy in 1999 to date, it is 27 years, so our Democracy has metamorphosed from being nascent and as such significant improvement should have been recorded.
“Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), is really disappointed at the National Assembly, especially the upper chamber (Senate) for not approving ‘Real Time Electronic Transmission of Election Result’.
“This undemocratic act of theirs, if not tamed, will give room for election manipulation and rigging’”.
Signed by Comrade Clifford Christopher Solomon on behalf of the organisation, the statement further said, “The Defence For Human Rights and Democracy unequivocally supports real time transmission of election result”, stressing that his group will resist any act by the National Assembly to undermine the nation’s democracy.
“DHRD,unequivocally supports ‘True Democracy’, which is Government of the people, by the people and for the people.
“Therefore, anything that will crash the hope of Nigerians to Freely, Fairly and Transparently elect candidates of their choice in any given election should and will be vehemently resisted because good governance begins with leaders elected through credible process. By so doing, leaders have entered a social contract with the citizens to equitably manage their affairs and abundant resources”, the statement added.
It urged the National Assembly to revisit the issue in order to avoid civil unrest.
According to the DHRD, “To avoid civil unrest,voters apathy, election rigging and manipulation, rather to promote citizens participation, advancing our Democracy and entrenching free, fair, credible and acceptable electoral outcome, the National Assembly should amend the electoral act in a manner that will deepen our democracy and boost citizens confidence.
“On this note, The Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), is calling on all other civil society organisations (CSOs) to mobilise, organise and push for a better electoral act amendment by the National Assembly”.
By: John Bibor
