Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

Adamawa
The Chief of Air Staff (CAS), Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, has said that the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) is expecting the supply of more aircraft purchased by the Federal Government to boost the fight against insurgents in the North-East.
Speaking in an interview with newsmen last Tuesday in Yola, Abubakar said that NAF had already received some, including helicopters and had repaired 12 aircraft.
“We have inducted additional aircraft in the combat, including M35 helicopters.
“We are expecting more aircraft which government had already paid for to add value and improve our performance  in the North-East.”
Abubakar was in Yola to interact with officers and men of the air component of ‘Operation Lafiya Dole,’ inline with the directives of the Acting President to security chiefs.

Borno
The Nigerian Army says it has recovered 21 additional bodies in an operation to rescue oil exploration crew abducted by the Boko Haram insurgents in Borno State.
A statement signed by Director, Army Public Relations, Brig. Gen. Sani Kukasheka, released in Maiduguri, said that the army recovered vehicles and various calibres of weapons in the operation.
“So far the search and rescue team has recovered additional bodies of five soldiers, 11 members of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) and five members of the exploration team.
“Contrary to reports in some media, six out of the 12 members of the exploration team that went out are still missing, while one of the NNPC staff returned to base alive,” Kukasheka said

FCT
The Nigerian Air Force (NAF), says it would continue to protect the territorial integrity of the nation.
The Chief of Air Staff (CAS), Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, said this while briefing newsmen at the end of NAF’s annual 10km walk/jogging exercise recently in Abuja.
Abubakar said physical fitness was pivotal to humans, especially members of the armed forces, adding that it was in view of this that NAF continued to conduct the exercise on quarterly basis.
He quoted a Greek philosopher, Thucydides, as having once said, “the bravest are surely those who have the cleverest vision of what is before them, glory/danger yet go out to meet it.
“It is, therefore, my desire to congratulate you all for putting up a brilliant performance in today’s exercise, “ he said.

Kaduna
Acting President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, last Tuesday in Kaduna, unveiled five Super Mushshak trainer aircraft acquired by the Federal Government to boost the capacity of Nigerian Air Force personnel in the country.
The five aircraft are among the 10 acquired by the government from Pakistan.
Osinbajo, who was represented by Minister of Defence, Mansur Dan-Ali, said Nigeria would welcome more support from friendly nations in its efforts to mow down Boko Haram insurgency.
“I will not fail to mention that the decision to acquire the Super Mushshak aircraft from Pakistan has greatly promoted the existing bilateral relationship between the two sister countries.

Kogi
A Consultant Psychiatrist, Dr Adeyemi Egbeola, recently in Lokoja, decried the increasing rate of recession-associated clinical depression in Nigeria.
Egbeola, who works at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Lokoja, made the assertion at the 2017 Annual General Meeting (AGM), Scientific Conference Week of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA), Kogi State chapter.
The theme of the conference was: “Economic Recession and the Rise of Depression”.
According to him, a significant association has been demonstrated between macro-economic indicators in recession and clinical depression as a mental illness.

Kwara
Kwara State Muslim Pilgrims’ Welfare Board, has disqualified three pregnant women from performing the 2017 pilgrimage.
It is reported that 1,465 intending pilgrims from the state have been medically certified for the pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia.
The Executive Secretary of the board, Alhaji Mohammed Tunde-Jimoh told newsmen that the disqualified women had been notified.
“The exclusion of the three pregnant women detected after the medical screening of the intending pilgrims is not punitive, but to safeguard their health and that of the babies”, he said.

Lagos
A Saudi-bound flight operated by Medview Airline, was last Saturday night aborted at the Ilorin Airport, due to birdstrike.
The airline confirmed the development in a statement by its media consultant, Mr Obuke Oyibhota, in Lagos.
Oyibhota  said the B767 aircraft carrying 222 pilgrims was taxing for takeoff when it was struck by a brood of birds, forcing the pilot to abort the flight.
“The 222  pilgrims were de-boarded without incident, and arrangements are being made to provide another aircraft to airlift them today (Sunday),” he said.
He, however,  assured all pilgrims that the schedule for their transportation to the holy land would not be affected by the incident.

Nasarawa
The Interim Management Committee Chairman, Keffi Local Government Council, Nasarawa State, Alhaji Isma’ila Nuhu, has appealed to the state government to rehabilitate the roads in Keffi GRA.
Nuhu also urged the government to build more drains in the area to improve the standard of living of the people.
The local government chief, made the call recently at the official installation and presentation of first class staff of office to Dr. Shehu Chindo Yamusa III as the new Emir of Keffi.
He applauded Almakura for providing the dividends of democracy to the people of Keffi especially in the area of infrastructure development.

Niger
The police in Minna recently arraigned two men, Ola Martins and Jibril Mohammed, who allegedly broke into a hotel and stole a television set.
The accused appeared before a Minna  Magistrates’ Court on a three-count charge of conspiracy, break in and theft.
The prosecutor, Insp. Gunduma Ibrahim, said that  Martins connived with Mohammed on June 21, at 10.00 p.m.  to break into a room at Aloevera Hotel, where Martins worked as a security guard.
Ibrahim submitted that the television set was valued at N130, 000.

Osun
Unknown gunmen last Saturday shot dead a yet-to-be identified middle-aged woman in Osogbo, according to reports.
The incident occurred at about 9.00 am at  Old Garage area of  Osogbo.
An eyewitness  said the deceased was a labourer who was on her way to Old Garage, where labourers usually assemble  for daily engagements,  before she met her untimely death.
The source said that the deceased was hit by stray bullets from a gun fired into the air by some men on a motorcycle  before they sped off from the scene.
The police spokesperson in the state, Mrs Folashade Odoro, confirmed the incident to journalists, saying four suspects had been arrested.

Plateau
An 18-year-old man, Agugu Adau, has allegedly killed his mother for refusing to give him a “disappearing” charm he claimed was his inheritance from his late herbalist father.
A family source told newsmen that Agugu committed the crime at his Kisaghyip village farm in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State.
The source said that Agugu, after killing his mother, removed the sum of N20,000 from her blood-soaked clothes and used it to buy a mobile phone, a shirt and a pair of slippers.
Spokesman of the Plateau Police Command, Mr Tyopev Terna, confirmed that the suspect was being held, but declined further comments.

Zamfara
About 60,000 Permanent Voters Cards (PVCs), have remained unclaimed by their owners in Zamfara State, Speaker of the state Assembly, Alhaji Sanusi Rikiji has said.
Rikiji who leads a state mobilisation committee on voters registration, made the disclosure when the committee visited Kaura-Namoda and Talata-Mafara last Wednesday.
He described the situation as worrisome and appealed to those who had not collected their PVCs to do so immediately.
Rikiji said the committee’s mandate was to sensitise eligible voters to partake in the ongoing continuous voter registration and encourage those yet to collect their cards to do so.
“It is very disheartening to hear that from April to July, 2017, only 25 PVCs were collected across the state.
“We are mandated by the state government to arrange ways of mobilising, educating and sensitising the public on the importance of voter registration and collection of PVCs.
“Apart from this committee headed by me, we had set up other committees across the three senatorial districts, 14 local government areas and 147 wards across the state to ensure effective mobilisation”, Rikili said.

Continue Reading

Nation

Youths Vow To Continue Protest Over Dilapidated Highway

Published

on

Youths from five local government areas in Northern Cross River State have concluded a one-week warning protest and blockade of the dilapidated Ikom-Wula-Obudu federal highway over the weekend.
They have vowed to resume the road blocks if by this week the authorities do not intervene to fix the road.
More than five thousand locals, mostly youths from Obanliku, Etung, Obudu, Ikom and Boki LGAs trooped out everyday for one week, used palm trees to block the highway to draw state and federal government’s attention to their plights, requesting the repair of a road has has been unmotorable for about 40 years.
They warned that if they do not see any actions from the state or federal governments, they will resume their Plan B protest, stop revenue collections and make governance unpalatable.
The youths also warned that without interventions on the road which has claimed several lives, including that of last week when a pregnant woman died with her baby in the full glare of the protesters because of the terrible road, no election can hold in the area next year.
One of the leaders of the No Road , No Election protest, who is also the Abo Youths in Boki LGA, Dr Martins Assam said both the federal and state governments have neglected the region, which generates more than 70 percent state revenue from agriculture.
He said if machinery is not deployed by next week, they will not have any option than to embark on unpalatable and disastrous protest, and stop revenue collections in the area.
“Last week we had only a warning strike for one good week. We’ll embark on a more elaborate, disastrous one-month blockade of this highway until they intervene. We call on our Governor and representatives in the National Assembly to act now by impressing on the federal government to immediately fix this road else. We’re not asking for two much but to be treated as human beings.”
Another protester, Clinton Obi from the Etung axis said, “We’ve been neglected for 40 years. This Ikom-Obudu federal highway had been impassable. The government has removed its concentration from our plights. By this one week protest, we want action on this road otherwise the next phase of protest will be costly.”
Reverend Father Francis Amaozo, priest in charge of St. Nicholas parish in Nashua, Boki LGA said, “I have also been a victim of this very deplorable road. Enough is now enough. We’ve been betrayed by our representatives and other leaders, so that we in this axis have become endangered species on this road. I have lost some many members on this road.”
Member, representing the Boki-Ikom federal constituency of the state in the House of Representatives, Bisong Victor Abang had pleaded with the locals to be a bit more patient with the government as action will commence shortly.

Continue Reading

Nation

UNIPORT VC Receives Inaugural Lecture Brochure As Professor Highlights Urgent Need For Drug Repurposing In Malaria Fight

Published

on

The Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Prof Owunari Georgewill, last Thursday received the inaugural lecture brochure from the Inaugural Lecturer, Professor Udeme Georgewill, during a ceremony at the university’s Centre of Excellence attended by academics, researchers, students, and distinguished guests.
Delivering her lecture, Professor Udeme Georgewill described the occasion as the culmination of years of dedicated research, teaching, and service to humanity. He explained that his work as a pharmacologist has consistently focused on finding practical, affordable, and scientifically sound solutions to health challenges that disproportionately affect developing countries, particularly malaria, which remains one of Nigeria’s most pressing public health concerns.
She noted that Nigeria continues to bear one of the heaviest malaria burdens globally, accounting for a significant percentage of worldwide cases and deaths. The disease, largely caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite and transmitted through Anopheles mosquitoes, remains especially dangerous for children under five years and pregnant women, threatening not only present populations but unborn generations. Despite years of intervention efforts, malaria continues to strain families, health systems, and the national economy.
Prof Georgewill empha-sised that while Artemisinin-based Combination Therapies such as Artemether-Lumefantrine remain the gold standard for malaria treatment, emerging resistance patterns pose a serious challenge. He explained that drug resistance is a survival mechanism of the parasite, enabling it to adapt and reduce the effectiveness of medications designed to eliminate it. According to her, instances where patients do not feel better after initial treatment sometimes lead to repeated dosing or the search for injectable alternatives, practices that can worsen resistance and complicate treatment outcomes.
Against this backdrop, she advocated strongly for drug repurposing as a strategic and urgent response. Drug repurposing, he explained, involves identifying new therapeutic uses for already approved and widely available medications. He likened the concept to “old wine in new wineskins,” stressing that medicines already proven safe for certain conditions can be carefully re-evaluated and optimised for new roles in malaria management. This approach, she argued, offers advantages such as reduced research timelines, lower development costs, and faster clinical application compared to developing entirely new drugs from scratch.
She disclosed that her research had progressed from laboratory investigations to clinical evaluations, where his team is studying combinations involving Artemether-Lumefantrine and Ivermectin to determine their effectiveness in improving treatment outcomes and possibly reducing transmission. Clinical trials are ongoing, and findings will be communicated upon completion of regulatory processes. However, he cautioned strongly against self-medication, warning that misuse of drugs without proper diagnosis and prescription can lead to organ damage, treatment failure, and increased resistance.
Referencing global health commitments, Prof Georgewill highlighted Sustainable Development Goal 3.3, which seeks to end epidemics of malaria and other major infectious diseases by 2030. She questioned whether the goal remains attainable under current realities, especially with growing resistance and funding gaps. He also referred to strategies of the World Health Organisation aimed at drastically reducing malaria incidence and mortality while pushing toward elimination in several countries.
Looking ahead, she revealed that her team is building comprehensive research databases to support artificial intelligence-driven drug repurposing. He stressed that the integration of artificial intelligence, molecular docking, and advanced screening technologies is transforming global drug discovery, and Nigerian researchers must be equipped to participate competitively in this evolving scientific landscape.
In her recommendations, she called for the establishment of a National Centre for Drug Repurposing to coordinate research efforts and leverage artificial intelligence in identifying new indications for existing medicines. He urged policymakers to simplify and accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries into clinical application, ensuring that scientific breakthroughs benefit the public more efficiently. She also appealed to the university and relevant authorities to increase funding and modernise laboratory infrastructure, including high-throughput screening facilities, to strengthen Nigeria’s position in global biomedical research.
The lecture concluded with expressions of gratitude to God, the university leadership, colleagues, students, and guests, as the event underscored the University of Port Harcourt’s commitment to research excellence and its role in addressing critical public health challenges facing Nigeria and the wider world.

Continue Reading

Nation

Niger CAN Rejects Proposed Hisbah Bill, Urges Gov Bago Not To Assent

Published

on

The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Niger State Chapter, has rejected the proposed Niger State Hisbah Directorates Bill, describing it as controversial and capable of deepening religious division in the state.
In a statement signed by the State Chairman, Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, and made available to The Tide’s source yesterday, the association urged Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago not to assent to the bill if it is passed by the State House of Assembly.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing Chanchaga Constituency, Hon. Mohammed Abubakar, seeks to establish a Hisbah Directorate in Niger State.
CAN warned that the legislation could be perceived as discriminatory against Christians and may heighten tension in the religiously diverse state.
“Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, we, the entire Christendom in the state, wish to draw your attention to what could easily create division among the people you govern,” the statement read in part.
The association questioned the necessity and benefits of the proposed law, asking what economic or social value it would add to the state.
It further argued that existing security agencies, including the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, already have constitutional mandates to maintain law and order.
The Christian body also faulted the legislative process, disputing claims that it was consulted during a public hearing on the bill.
It insisted that it was neither invited nor notified of any such engagement, despite being a critical stakeholder in the state.

Continue Reading

Trending