Nation
THE STATES

L-R: Gov. Akinwunmi Ambode and his wife, Bolanle, join the former governor of Cross River State, Donald Duke and his wife, Onari on stage as Duke performs at “An Evening of Jazz” with Gov. Akinwunmi Ambode in Lagos on Saturday night.
Adamawa
Sen. Abdul-Azeez Nyako (APC-Adamawa Central) has
introduced a soft loan programme for petty women traders in his constituency.
Flagging-off the programme in collaboration with Ideal Woman Loans and Saving Limited on Yola, Nyako said the measure was to enable the women boost their businesses.
He advised women in his constituency to form groups and liaise with the handlers (Loans and Saving Ltd) of the programme for a bigger assistance. The lawmaker also said he had obtained fertiliser and seedlings which would soon be distributed to farmer groups in the constituency.
“I also have a special youth empowerment programme coming up in September,’’ Nyako said.
The Head of Ideal Woman Loans and Saving Limited, Hajiya Hauwa Abdullahi, said more than 500 women from 29 women groups had benefitted from the first phase of the programme.
Benue
Workers in Benue have called on the state govern
ment to lift the embargo on employment and to pay workers all their outstanding salary arrears.
The workers made their demands through the Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress(NLC) in the state, Godwin Anya.
The NLC boss spoke at the May Day rally in Makurdi.
He restated workers’ dedication to duty and hard work in the implementation of government policies and programmes.
Anya, however, urged government not to shy away from the issue of workers welfare which he said had been neglected.
Borno
The Nigerian Army said that it had commenced large
scale operations to smoke out Boko Haram terrorists from their Sambisa forest hideout in Borno.
Maj.-Gen. Lucky Irabor, the Theater Commander Operation Lafiya Dole said this while briefing newsmen in Maiduguri. “I want to inform you that troops of the Operation Lafiya Dole are conducting operations in the heart of Sambisa as we speak. “The troops are deep into the forest to smoke out Boko Haram terrorists,” Irabor said.
He said that the troops were led by the General Officer Commanding (GOC) 7 division of the Nigerian Army Maiduguri Brig.-Gen. Victor Ezugwu.
“In fact the GOC 7 division is leading the operations,” Irabor said declining to give further details.
FCT
The Federal Government has restated its commitment
to the exploration of oil and gas in the Inland Basins, especially Chad Basin and the Benue Trough.
The Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Dr Ibe kachikwu said this in a statement issued by Malam Garba Deen Muhammad, Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) Group General Manager, Group Public Affairs Division in Abuja.
It said the NNPC through its Frontier Exploration Services and Renewable Energy Division (FESRED) had progressed reasonably with seismic acquisition activities in the Chad Basin frontier area.
Gombe
No fewer than 7,000 patients, including children, have
benefited from a free medical service provided by Rep. Inusa Abubakar.
Abubakar, who represents Deba Federal Constituency, disclosed this to journalists while fielding questions on his constituency project in Gombe.
The lawmaker said the gesture was part of the dividends of democracy he promised his constituents.
Abubakar, who is the Chairman, House Committee on Federal Road Safety (FRSC), said: “We invited an NGO to provide free medical treatment to about five to seven thousand patients.
Jigawa
The Jigawa Consumer Protection Committee (CPC) said
it confiscated 49 fake standard measures (Mudus) from grains sellers in the state.
Its Chairman, Alhaji Farouk Abdallah, disclosed this via telephone interview with our correspondent in Dutse.
Abdullahi said the items were seized from the traders when members of the committee paid an unexpected visit to Guri market in Guri Local Government Area of the state.
He noted that the action was to check lack of uniformity of mesures in all the markets in the state, adding that “the action would also provide consumer protection”.
The chairman added that it was also to sanitise the business environment and ensure accuracy in all commercial transactions in the state.
Kogi
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has approved N20
billion as bailout for the Kogi Government.
The state governor, Alhaji Yahaya Bello, announced this in Lokoja while addressing a rally held by Organised Labour to mark this year’s May Day celebration.
Bello explained that the N20 billion was the first tranche of the N50 billion applied for to clear salary arrears of the state and local government workers.
He blamed the delay in the release of the fund on the last administration, saying that the application submitted by his predecessor was shoddily done and fraught with irregularities.
“We had to start from scratch. We are glad to announce that our efforts have paid off. This week, we received approval to draw down on the first tranche of our Bailout Funds from the Federal Government”.
Kano
The National Association of Resident Doctors of Ni
geria (NARD) has shifted its planned nationwide strike by two weeks. The strike that was to commence on April 25 will now begin on May 9.
The National President of the association, Dr Muhammad Askira, made the disclosure while addressing a news conference in Kano recently.
Askira said the decision to shift the date of the strike was taken after the extraordinary meeting of the National Executive Council of the association held on April 26 in Sokoto.
He said after deliberations on the progress made so far, the NEC decided to shift the strike by two weeks.
According to him, the decision to shift the strike followed the prompt intervention of President Muhammadu Buhari during a meeting with NMA National leadership as contained in a statement released by his SSA on media.
Osun
The Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, has com
miserated with the government and people of Edo over the demise of the late Oba of Benin, Omo n’Oba Erediauwa.
A condolence message signed by the Ooni’s Director of Media and Public Affairs, Moses Olafare, said that Edo, Ile-Ife ,Oduduwa race, Nigeria and the entire African continent would greatly miss the late monarch. Ogunwusi described the deceased as a respecter and manager of African culture as well as an embodiment of values, respect, peace, discipline and honesty. He also said the highly respectable monarch was blessed with an uncommon and enviable character.
Oyo
A new political group seeking registration, All
Grassroots Alliance (AGA), says it will sponsor an executive bill advocating a five-year single term for political office holders if voted into power in 2019. Mr Yekini Salimanu, the National Publicity Secretary of the group, stated this at its public presentation in Ibadan. He said the four- year term, with opportunity for a second term, often promoted bad governance.
Sokoto
A death has occurred of a veteran diplomat and former
permanent secretary Alahji Hamzat Ahmadu. According to a statement by the Senior Special Assistant, Media to Governor Aminu Tambuwal, Imam Imam, Ahmadu, who held the traditional title of Walin Sokotod, died at a private hospital in Lagos on Sunday, aged 92. An accomplished diplomat and technocrat, the deceased served as Personal Secretary to two Nigerian military leaders, Gen. Aguiyi Ironsi and Gen. Yakubu Gowon. He had also served as Nigeria’s Ambassador to U.S., Germany, France and the former Soviet Union (USSR). Responding to the news of his death Tambuwal, described the deceased as peace-loving and committed family man who gave valuable contributions to the unity and development of Nigeria.
Taraba
Catholic Bishops in Benue and Taraba have converged
on Kashimbila in Takum Local Government Area of Taraba to pray for God’s intervention over insecurity in parts of the country. The prayer pilgrimage for reconciliation, peace and unity was held at the St. Edward De Confessor Catholic Parish, Kashimbila in Takum. In attendance were the Catholic Bishop of Jalingo Diocese, Most Rev. Dr. Charles Hammawa; Bishop of Katsina-Ala Diocese, Most Rev. Peter Adoboh and Bishop of Gboko Diocese, Most Rev. Williams Avenya who is also the Secretary of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Nigeria (CBCN).
Nation
Sachet Alcohol Fuels Binge Drinking Among Nigerian Youths, Group Warns
The Standard Bearers (SB) Islamic Organisation has raised concerns over the growing rate of binge drinking among Nigerian youths, attributing the trend largely to the widespread availability of sachet alcohol.
The group’s position follows the recent move by the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) to enforce a ban on alcoholic beverages packaged in sachets and bottles below 200 millilitres.
In a statement jointly signed by its National Coordinator, Dr. Nurudeen AbdulRaheem, and National Secretary, Malam Qaasim Adegbuyi, the organisation declared its full support for NAFDAC’s decision, describing it as a timely and necessary public health intervention.
AbdulRaheem noted that sachet alcohol, often sold for as little as ?100, has made excessive drinking more accessible, particularly to young people and minors. According to him, the affordability and small packaging of such products have worsened binge drinking, youth addiction and community insecurity.
He explained that binge drinking involves consuming multiple alcoholic drinks within a short period, typically within two hours, a practice that can lead to severe physical and mental health complications as well as legal and social problems.
The SB National Coordinator cited global health data indicating that alcohol is responsible for more than three million deaths annually worldwide and remains a major contributor to road accidents, violence, liver disease and mental health disorders.
While acknowledging concerns from industry stakeholders over the economic implications of the ban, AbdulRaheem maintained that public health considerations must take precedence.
“Public health and the protection of young lives must come first,” he stated, adding that Islamic ethical values, like many societal norms, emphasise the protection of life, intellect and family stability.
The organisation urged NAFDAC and the Federal Government to remain resolute in implementing the policy while also providing transition support for businesses that may be affected by the ban.
According to the group, the enforcement of the ban represents a significant step toward promoting a safer and healthier society.
By Favour James
Nation
HYPREP Unleashes 100 Ogoni Youths Into Maritime Industry …Tasks Them On Discipline, Safety
The Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has successfully concluded its Seafarers Training Programme for 100 Ogoni youths, positioning them for opportunities in the competitive global maritime industry.
The beneficiaries, who underwent four months of intensive training at Charkin Maritime Academy, Port Harcourt, received their certificates during a close-out ceremony held on Tuesday, February 10, 2026. The event was attended by top management staff of HYPREP, the HYPREP Project Support Lead and Representative of Renaissance Africa Energy Company Limited, the Executive Director of Training and Strategic Planning of Charkin Maritime Academy, the Head of the Seafaring Department, the Principal Consultant of DCL Consulting Firm, and other dignitaries.
Addressing the graduates, HYPREP Project Coordinator, Prof. Nenibarini Zabbey, described the ceremony as a celebration of hard work, dedication, and the beginning of a new chapter in the lives of the young beneficiaries.
He said the graduation symbolises vision, resilience, and hope — hope translated into skills, certificates, and tangible opportunities for a better future for Ogoni youths.
According to him, the passing-out ceremony marks an important milestone in HYPREP’s mandate to restore livelihoods and promote sustainable development in Ogoniland. He urged the beneficiaries to make productive use of the skills and certifications acquired.
“These skills and achievements should not end here but serve as a springboard for self-reliance, dignity of labour, and long-term economic empowerment for the good of Ogoniland and Nigeria,” he stated.
Prof. Zabbey noted that the seafaring programme is significant not only to the beneficiaries but also to HYPREP’s broader livelihood restoration strategy and the Federal Government’s blue economy agenda.
He explained that by equipping the youths with globally relevant maritime skills, HYPREP is opening alternative income opportunities while discouraging oil theft, artisanal refining, re-pollution, and other environmentally harmful practices. He added that the initiative aligns with the directives of the 2016 HYPREP Establishment Gazette and reinforces the Project’s commitment to implementing the recommendations of the UNEP Report on Ogoniland.
Commending Charkin Maritime Academy as a dependable training partner, Zabbey described the institution as one of the foremost maritime training centres in the country.
“This partnership has delivered high-quality results today, and we intend to expand it as we intensify efforts to provide sustainable alternative livelihoods for the Ogoni people,” he said.
He expressed confidence in Ogoni youths as drivers of unity, peace, and progress, noting their resilience and commitment to peace in the area. He reaffirmed HYPREP’s commitment to supporting the aspirations of youths and women in Ogoniland.
The Project Coordinator likened knowledge and certificates to fuel in a vehicle, stressing that they are meant to propel the graduates toward greater heights.
“We hear your voices calling for restoration, and today, environmental and livelihood restoration are gradually unfolding before your eyes, bringing renewed hope. We continue to lay brick upon brick, building pillars of Ogoni development, as evidenced by the Centre of Excellence for Environmental Restoration (CEER), which is 93 per cent completed,” he added.
He emphasised that HYPREP’s approach integrates all projects and interventions toward achieving environmental sustainability and long-term development in Ogoniland.
Also speaking, the HYPREP Project Support Lead and Representative of Renaissance Africa Energy Company Limited, Engr. Ehioze Igbinomwahia, said the graduates had gained not only technical maritime skills but also discipline, resilience, and confidence to compete globally.
He described their graduation as the beginning of a new journey and noted that the UNEP Report emphasised that environmental restoration must be complemented by sustainable livelihoods, capacity building, and youth empowerment.
“Without empowering people, restoration cannot be complete. Programmes such as this maritime training represent practical steps toward creating employment pathways, dignity, and long-term community stability,” he said.
Engr. Igbinomwahia added that Renaissance Africa Energy Company Limited remains committed to supporting environmental recovery, human capacity development, and sustainable economic opportunities in Ogoniland and the wider Niger Delta.
Highlighting the importance of discipline and safety, he urged the graduates to be ambassadors of professionalism and integrity.
“The sea you are about to enter is vast and sometimes challenging, but it is also full of opportunity. Let discipline guide your actions, let safety remain your constant companion, and let your character speak for you wherever you go,” he advised.
Similarly, the Executive Director of Training and Strategic Planning at Charkin Maritime Academy, Captain Joseph Awodeha, who represented the Chairman, Dr. Charles Wami, emphasised discipline and safety as critical to career success in the maritime sector.
The Head of the Seafaring Department, Captain Jonathan Hammond, urged the graduates to remain humble and disciplined, noting that such virtues are essential for career growth.
In his remarks, the Principal Consultant of DCL Consulting Firm, Barrister Dornu Baridan, commended the beneficiaries for successfully scaling through the
rigorous selection process and completing their training as seafarers.
Nation
Nigerian Society of Engineers Inaugurates 14-Member Executives In Rivers”
The Nigerian Society of Engineers, Port Harcourt Branch, Rivers State, has elected 14 member executives to lead the organization for the 2025/2026 year. Engr. Belema Fubara Ekine, FNSE, is the 23rd chairman.
The inauguration ceremony, held at the Engr. Ishmael A. Branch Secretariat, 3 Benard Carr Street (Waterworks Yard), Port Harcourt, attracted members of the engineering profession from within and outside the state.
Other elected executives include:
Engr. Samuel H. Kwelle, MNSE – Vice Chairman
Engr. Dr. Promise Jumbo, FNSE – General Secretary
Engr. Priye P. K. Lawson, MNSE – Assistant Secretary
Engr. Patrick O. Udegbunam, MNSE – Treasurer.
Others are Engr. Hilda D. Batubo, MNSE – Financial Secretary
Engr. Bowei M. Dauseighe, MNSE – Technical Secretary
Engr. Charles O. Okwakpam, MNSE – Assistant Technical Secretary
Engr. Agnes Komolafe, MNSE – Membership Secretary
Engr. Dike N. Livingstone, MNSE – Publicity Secretary
Also elected are Engr. Ayebaye Daniel Wanatoi, MNSE – Welfare Secretary
Engr. Oribiokpomari I. Comfort, MNSE – Internal Auditor
Engr. Dr. Idaeresoari Harriet Ateke, FNSE – Immediate Past Chairman
Engr Dr Hachimenum Amadi, FNSE (Ex-Officio)
In his a goodwill message, the Secretary to the Rivers State Government, Hon. Frederick Anabraba, urged the new executive to maintain high ethical standards and move the association forward.
In his acceptance speech, the newly elected chairman, Engr. Belema Fubara Ekine, FNSE, promised an inclusive administration and teamwork, focusing on collaboration with stakeholders. He had begun building partnerships with Rivers State University and the University of Port Harcourt.
The highlight was the inauguration lecture, “Engineering Solution for Security, Energy Access and Sustainable Development,” delivered by Engr. Victor Bandele, Deputy Managing Director, Deepwater Assets, TotalEnergies EP Nigeria Limited.
-
Politics3 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Sports3 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business3 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Sports3 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
News3 days ago
Police Bust Kidnapping Syndicate In PH
-
Sports3 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
-
Featured3 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports3 days ago
‘NTF Will Build On Davis Cup Success For Brighter Future’
