Connect with us

News

Labour’s Protests Ground DISCOs’ Operations

Published

on

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union Congress (TUC) in collaboration with civil society groups made good their threat of picketing offices of the electricity distribution and generating company (DISCOs) and GENCOs) across the nation, as operations in their offices were grounded following the exercise.
Also affected, were the offices of the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) as labour unions protested the 45 per cent hike in electricity tariff, announced by the Federal Government.
The new tariff regime began on Monday, 1st February, 2016
Consequently, offices of the Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company (PHED) across the four states of Rivers, Bayelsa, Akwa Ibom and Cross River were also besieged by protesters.
At the Mosco Road, the zonal office of PHED, the Rivers State Chairman of TUC, Mr Chika Onuegbu, decried the new tariff, saying the people would no longer watch the government inflict pains on them through the exploitative tariff.
He lamented that the Federal Government has failed to save the masses from the crunchy economic situation, and wondered why the masses would be made to pay through their nose for poor supply that is epileptic.
Onuegbu accused the DISCOs of also failing in their contractual bond of providing prepaid meters which were promised the consumers when the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) was being privatised.
On her part, the l Chairman of NLC in the state, Mrs Beatrice Itubo, said the protest over electricity tariff hike would continue until the Federal Government rescinds its step and removes the new tariff.
At the D/Line office of the Diobu Business Centre of PHED, Chief Amadi Ihedioha, a businessman said , ‘the protest has provided the ordinary Nigerians opportunity of openly expressing their rejection of the exploitative tendencies of the company.
“I thank the organised labour for what they have done today, I thought nobody can be there for us when PHED treat us  any how it likes, chooses when to supply light, and not even the government caring to know what we are passing through’, he said.
In his reaction, the Corporate Affair Manager of PHED, Mr Jonah Ibomah, In defence of the new tariff, said the power sector had been neglected over the past five years, and stressed the need for more investment in the sector.
He said, contrary to the claim that the recent increase in electricity tariff was up to 45 per cent, the hike was merely between 12 and 21 per cent.
In Uyo, the Akwa Ibom State capital, the organised labour also besieged the PHED offices, chanting solidarity songs with green leaves in their hands.
State chairman of the TUC, Mr Akamabo Awah, said there was no reason or rationale for the hike when there is a pending court order restraining NERC or any of the DISCOS from increasing tariff.
He said the protest was a way of defending the law and the interest of the masses from the electricity companies who have taken up Nigerians hostage.
Meanwhile, NERC Acting Chief Executive Officer, Dr Anthony Akah, blamed the organised labour for the  protest, saying, NLC should have utilised the  window of complaints provided by the commission or such matters instead of resorting to street protests.
Akah regretted that the sector, which is expected to attract foreign investment, may suffer sect back from the signal of the protest.
“We feel strongly that NLC or other organisations would have taken advantage of the window and file for the area of concern just like some other organisations have filed for their own areas of concern”, he said.
The Majority Leader of the House of Representatives, Hon Femi Gbajabiamila, in reacting to the development, said the House was reviewing the positions of stakeholders on the new tariff, and would make its position known to Nigerians next week.

 

Chris Oluoh

Continue Reading

News

Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.

The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.

He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.

Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.

“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.

“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.

The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.

Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.

He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.

“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”

The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.

The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.

Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.

Continue Reading

News

US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day

Published

on

The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.

The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.

“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.

According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.

The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.

In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.

Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.

Continue Reading

News

Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role

Published

on

United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.

Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.

The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.

“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.

The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.

Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.

The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.

In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.

“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.

Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.

He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.

Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.

 

Continue Reading

Trending