Connect with us

News

Battle Of Mainok: 48 Insurgents Feared Killed …NEMA Wants Victims’ Relief Materials Monitored

Published

on

At least 20 people were killed on Friday as members of the Boko Haram attacked Mainok Village in Borno State, witnesses and security sources have said.
Soldiers, who arrived Mainok after the insurgents had wreaked havoc on the community, then chased the attackers, killing about 48 of them.
The Mainok market was attacked on Friday at about 1:30 p.m. as traders planned to suspend trading to go observe the Friday ‘Jumat’ prayers.
More than a dozen traders were killed in the market while others who were fleeing were either injured by stray bullets, or knocked down by vehicles as they ran across the Kano-Maiduguri highway.
Alloy Ikechukwu, a traveller from Lagos to Maiduguri, told journalists on Friday that he was lucky to survive the attack. He said a luxurious bus conveying him and several other passengers was passing through Mainok when the insurgents attacked the market.
“We boarded a luxury bus from Lagos and as soon as we arrived Mainok at exactly 1.30 p.m., we heard heavy gunshot from the western part of the market and sporadic gunshots followed,” Ikechukwu said.
“Hundreds of traders and residents fled the market in confusion, running to cross the highway to the other side while vehicles passing through the town were also making attempts to flee the town. It was such confusion.”
Ikechukwu said he saw many of the fleeing residents hit by vehicles speeding off from the area.
“Vehicles were hitting one another and the Boko Haram kept shooting,” he added.
A police officer in Maiduguri who was also travelling through Mainok narrated his experience.
“From the sound of the first shot fired at the market, I knew there was problem because the attackers first fired Rapid Propelled Grenade (RPG) into the middle of the market before they started firing into the midst of the confused traders,” he said.
A senior security official in Maiduguri, who spoke on condition of anonymity, confirmed that at least 20 people were killed in the Mainok attack.
The official also said at least 48 of the terrorists were killed by soldiers who chased the terrorists while the latter returned to their base in Damboa town.
He blamed poor service by telecom networks for the late arrival of the soldiers.
“Due to the poor telecom network around Mainok town, troops (from 7 Division in Maiduguri) could not get the alert on time, until they (Boko Haram) had attacked and killed some of the traders – about 20 or so – and even stole money and food items from the poor traders”, the official told PREMIUM TIMES.
“But as soon as the message got to us, troops arrived Mainok and tracked them towards the direction and were able to intercept them as they were taking some rest or attending to a broken down vehicle.
“It was another tough battle but within hours, our gallant soldiers subdued them, as we counted 48 corpses and recovered several weapons and vehicle abandoned by some few others who fled.”
Friday’s attack was not the first by the insurgents on Mainok, a community 56km from Maiduguri along Maiduguri – Kano Expressway.
On March 4, at least 38 people were killed when Boko Haram gunmen attacked Mainok at night. The insurgents also set several property ablaze.
Since the March attack, a large number of Mainok residents have fled the village, but would come on Fridays to observe the weekly market there.
Meanwhile, the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), yesterday appealed to journalists to monitor the distribution of relief materials donated to the victims of Boko Haram insurgency in Borno State.
In an interview with newsmen in Maiduguri, the Director-General of the agency, Sani Sidi, noted that more than 50 trucks of such relief materials had been supplied by the Federal Government.
Sidi said that the monitoring would ensure fair distribution of the materials among the displaced persons, adding that, “The task is to ensure that the items go only to those affected, those in need and those that have been displaced and those in camps.
“You will recall that President Goodluck Jonathan set up a presidential committee for the procurement and distribution of relief materials to the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa.
“The committee has successfully completed its assignment, and we have just started the distribution of the materials,” Sidi said.
He said the exercise would also be supervised by the some NEMA officials to ensure justice.
“We expect all journalists to be the watchdogs to ensure that justice is done, so that the items are distributed to the affected persons.
“We must commend the president for coming up with this relief apart from other plans and strategies to tackle insurgency.
The official said that although NEMA had registered more than 58,000 IDPs, there were others persons who had not shown up for registration in the camps.
In spite of this, Sidi said that the relief materials were enough for the IDPs.
The Federal Government approved the supply of 50 trucks of assorted relief materials to the displaced victims in the state.

Rivers State Governor, Rt Hon Chibuike Amaechi (left) being welcomed  to the 2014 Native and Vogue Port Harcourt International Fashion Week by member of House of Representatives, Honourable  Asita, while the Commissioner for Information and Communications, Mrs Ibim Semenitari watches, last Friday in Port Harcourt.  Photo: Ibioye Diama

Rivers State Governor, Rt Hon Chibuike Amaechi (left) being welcomed to the 2014 Native and Vogue Port Harcourt International Fashion Week by member of House of Representatives, Honourable Asita, while the Commissioner for Information and Communications, Mrs Ibim Semenitari watches, last Friday in Port Harcourt. Photo: Ibioye Diama

Continue Reading

News

HYPREP Tightens Security At Project Sites

Published

on

Following the rupture of the ground tank of its water facility in Ebubu Community in Eleme Local Government Area of Rivers State, the Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has tightened security across all its project sites in Ogoniland.

HYPREP, which dropped this hint in a statement signed by its Head of Communications, Dr Enuolare Mba-Nwigoh, said the Project Coordinator, Prof Nenibarini Zabbey had given the directive for security to be tightened across all its project sites in Ogoniland.

Mba-Nwigoh noted that the tightening of security across the project sites has become necessary to forestall interference with the facilities.

He further disclosed that following the rupture of the ground tank of the Ebubu water facility, a team led by HYPREP’s Director of Technical Services, Prof Damian-Paul Aguiyi has visited the scene of the incident to assess the situation, stressing that the water facility has been cordoned off for public safety.

The statement indicated that following the incident, HYPREP has henceforth barred non-project personnel and non-facility staff from gaining access into any of its active project sites in Ogoniland without authorisation.

While appealing to residents of Ebubu Community and the public to remain calm, the Head of Communications assured them that the Project is taking prompt steps to restore water to the community, saying, the cause of the unfortunate incident is being investigated.

He equally noted that the Chief Security Officer of HYPREP has been directed to immediately tighten security across all its project sites in Ogoniland.

The statement said HYPREP is deeply concerned about the incident, stressing that despite the setback, the Project reiterates its commitment to delivering sustainable cleanup in Ogoniland.

Continue Reading

News

198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class

Published

on

A total of 198 students of the University of Benin (UNIBEN ) Edo State, bagged a First Class degree out of 14,083 students to be awarded first degree at the institution’s 51st Convocation and Founder’s Day ceremony.
Vice Chancellor of UNIBEN, Prof. Edoba Omoregie, disclosed this on Monday in Benin at a pre-convocation press briefing.
He said 4,217 students bagged a Second Class Upper,  7, 928 got a Second Class Lower, while 578 bagged a Third Class degree.
He said 15 new approved programmes by the National Universities Commission (NUC) would commence in the 2025/2026 academic session.
According to him, “The wheel of progress is on course and moving steadily in the University of Benin.  This administration is poised to deliver on its mandate of effective, practical teaching, sound learning, result-oriented research and impactful community service.
“We must applaud the President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, for establishing NELFUND, and by so doing significantly reducing the financial stress of students in the process of acquiring tertiary education.   We enjoin students and their parents to take full advantage of the federal government’s benevolence in instituting the fund.”
Prof. Omoregie disclosed that Nigeria’s Minister of Regional Development, Engr. Abubakar Momoh, would deliver the Founders’ Day lecture with the topic,  “Reforms for a Shared Prosperity”.
The UNIBEN VC said Director General of the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs and Former Vice Chancellor of Igbinedion University, Okada, Edo State, Professor Eghosa Osaghae, would deliver the Convocation Lecture on the theme, “Making Our Universities Great”.
Continue Reading

News

Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council  trains tra 1,000 teachers

Published

on

The last batch of 400 public school teachers in Bayelsa State on Monday commenced training under the sponsorship of Bayelsa Education Development Trust Fund (EDTF) and the British Council.
This batch will bring to 1000 the number of public school teachers in the state who have benefited in the partnership arrangement.School supplies
The EDTF, British Council and Teachers Training, Registration and Certification Board collaborated in the capacity development programme.
Speaking at the opening ceremony of the five day capacity building program, Commissioner for Education Dr Gentle Emelah reiterated the commitment of the Bayelsa government to training and capacity of teachers in the state.
He noted that the improved teaching methodology in the state was responsible for the state producing the best student in the 2025 West African School Certificate Examinations.
Prof Ebimiowei, Executive Secretary at EDTF, noted that the collaboration is aimed at improving learning outcomes for pupils and students of public primary and secondary schools in Bayelsa.
“You will agree with me that until the cutlass is sharpened, it will have no impact on the hands of the farmer and so it is with our teachers., you need to be sharpened very well to give good delivery in your various classes and schools.
“Let me at this juncture appreciate the British Council for accepting to train 1,000 teachers, 50 education managers and 60 trainers for Bayelsa,” he said.
On his part, Chairman of the EDTF board, High Chief Fidelis Agbiki expressed appreciation to the Commissioner for Education Dr Gentle Emelah for his supportive role to the fund.
Agbiki urged the beneficiaries to justify the enormous resources invested by the government of Bayelsa by being dedicated within the five days the exercise would last.
He said; “This board will not operate on business as usual but on business unusual as we will push the frontiers outside the box to ensure that we get value for money,” Agbiki said.
 Chairman of Development Partners Committee of the EDTF applauded the commitment of the partners for the successful completion of the programme, urging them to sustain the tempo
Speaking on the programme, Mr Fwanshishak Daniel, Head, English and Schools, British Council noted that the Bayelsa government had shown exemplary commitment to educational development.
He explained that the commitment has enabled the British Council and Bayelsa government to achieve within one year greater milestones that took other states three years to achieve.
He explained that the resources of the British Council have been made available to Bayelsa with the training of 60 resource persons from the state who will in turn train other teachers to improve education.
According to Daniel, the training will lay emphasis on new teaching methods, use of digital tools for self development and access to school amongst others.
Dr Peremoboere Ogola, Acting Chairman of TTRC, which facilitated training, thanked the EDTF for supporting training of teachers in Bayelsa with world class resources of the British Council.
She noted that another batch of newly recruited teachers are currently undergoing training at State government owned University of Africa, Toru Orua, Sagbama LGA in Bayelsa
Continue Reading

Trending