Connect with us

News

Ebola: Lagos, FG Bicker On Victims’ Figures

Published

on

Lagos State government and the Federal government have disagreed of the actual figure of victims of Ebola Virus.
At a press conference in Lagos, Wednesday, the State’s Health Commissioner,  Jide Idris, told journalists that five new suspected Ebola virus cases were brought to the isolation ward of the Yaba Mainland Hospital in Lagos on Tuesday.
Idris added that two of those five cases were from secondary contacts linked to the Liberian-American, Patrick Sawyer, who brought the virus to Nigeria.
“Till date, we have recorded eight suspected cases, five of which came in yesterday (Tuesday), 12 confirmed,” said Idris.
“On the whole, five have died (including the index case). We are currently following up 213 contacts, and 62 have completed the two-day follow-up.”
But barely two hours after the press conference had ended, the Minister of Helath, Onyebuchi Chukwu, issued a terse statement telling the public to “disregard” Idris’ figures.
“The Honourable Minister of Health, Onyebuchi Chukwu, wishes to reiterate that at present, Nigeria has only two confirmed cases of Ebola Virus Disease,” Chukwu said in a statement by his Special Assistant on Media and Communication Dan Nwomeh
“This clarification follows media reports of five new cases in Lagos State. This report should be disregarded. The minister reiterates that any doubtful information on the outbreak of Ebola Virus Disease in Nigeria should be verified from the Office of the Honourable Minister of Health who has the sole authority to announce confirmed cases as far as disease epidemics in Nigeria are concerned.
“The minister further reassures the public that any new confirmed case of Ebola Virus Disease will be announced by his office promptly. However, as of 7pm today (Wednesday), there is no other confirmed Ebola Virus Disease case in Nigeria outside the two that are currently under treatment at the isolation ward in Lagos.”
Since the first case of the Ebola Virus Disease was recorded in Lagos in July, the Lagos State Government and the Federal Government have continually issued discordant statements and contradictory figures on government’s efforts, casualties and suspected cases.
At a press conference, last Friday, Idris denied receiving a “penny” from the Federal Government one week after President Goodluck Jonathan had announced the “immediate” release of a N1.9 billion Special Intervention Fund to strengthen the on-going steps to contain the spread of the Ebola virus.
“This effort is a collaborative effort between the Lagos State Government and the federal officials and their partners. As far as I know, the Federal Government has been very good in providing technical support, technical support, especially through the consultant partners,” Mr. Idris said at a press conference.
“But again we are grateful for all they have been doing to provide technical support, so many of their staff are working with us in contact tracing, case management, and they are part of the emergency response centre.”
The Lagos State health commissioner also denied the arrival to the state of the first batch of the Nano Silver experimental drug, even after the minister had earlier announced the delivery of the drug.
But it was the commissioner’s comment on the non-receipt of any part of the N1.9 billion that dominated news headlines throughout last weekend, apparently embarrassing the Federal Government.
At Wednesday’s press briefing,  Idris was very careful with his choice of words.
When a journalist pressed him on why the Federal Government allowed passage to a sick Sawyer despite the minister’s pronouncement weeks ago that Nigeria was prepared for the virus,  Idris cleverly evaded the question.
“Well, I’m answering your question… I’m not going into a debate on that. I think… let’s move forward…,” he said.
But  the Commissioner for Special Duties, Wale Ahmed took the microphone from him, and appealed to journalists to refrain from asking questions that could breed disagreement.
“Excuse me, if you permit me to say this, I believe those of us representing Lagos State Government on this issue and you gentlemen of the press, I believe we are partners in trying to educate the public on this matter,” Ahmed said.
“I would rather suggest we focus more on issues that will bring information to the public regarding their safety and what we are doing. Issues that may border on things that will look like inquisition and questions that will be asked if a commission of enquiry were to be set up, I think we should avoid those questions now.”
This latest disagreement is not the first time signs of a animosity between both levels of government have been apparent, especially during emergency situations.
In July, 2013, an official of the National Emergency Management Agency, (NEMA), a Federal Government agency, accused a Lagos State commissioner of chasing him out of a collapsed building site in Surulere, Lagos.
“NEMA (was) chased out of rescue site by Lagos Commissioner for Special Duties after we have rescued 3 alive and 4 dead. He said he will ask his people to deal with us if we are not careful,” Farinloye said.
Farinloye said he was granting an interview to a Nigeria Television Authority reporter when Mr. Ahmed, who arrived alongside the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), threatened to send the Rapid Response Squad after him.
“I contacted headquarters and they said I should leave for peace to reign,” Mr. Farinloye had said.
However, when contacted, Ahmed had said that it was not true.
“I only told him it was quite premature to start granting interview when we were yet to know what was still under the rubble,” he said.

Continue Reading

News

198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class

Published

on

A total of 198 students of the University of Benin (UNIBEN ) Edo State, bagged a First Class degree out of 14,083 students to be awarded first degree at the institution’s 51st Convocation and Founder’s Day ceremony.
Vice Chancellor of UNIBEN, Prof. Edoba Omoregie, disclosed this on Monday in Benin at a pre-convocation press briefing.
He said 4,217 students bagged a Second Class Upper,  7, 928 got a Second Class Lower, while 578 bagged a Third Class degree.
He said 15 new approved programmes by the National Universities Commission (NUC) would commence in the 2025/2026 academic session.
According to him, “The wheel of progress is on course and moving steadily in the University of Benin.  This administration is poised to deliver on its mandate of effective, practical teaching, sound learning, result-oriented research and impactful community service.
“We must applaud the President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, for establishing NELFUND, and by so doing significantly reducing the financial stress of students in the process of acquiring tertiary education.   We enjoin students and their parents to take full advantage of the federal government’s benevolence in instituting the fund.”
Prof. Omoregie disclosed that Nigeria’s Minister of Regional Development, Engr. Abubakar Momoh, would deliver the Founders’ Day lecture with the topic,  “Reforms for a Shared Prosperity”.
The UNIBEN VC said Director General of the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs and Former Vice Chancellor of Igbinedion University, Okada, Edo State, Professor Eghosa Osaghae, would deliver the Convocation Lecture on the theme, “Making Our Universities Great”.
Continue Reading

News

Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council  trains tra 1,000 teachers

Published

on

The last batch of 400 public school teachers in Bayelsa State on Monday commenced training under the sponsorship of Bayelsa Education Development Trust Fund (EDTF) and the British Council.
This batch will bring to 1000 the number of public school teachers in the state who have benefited in the partnership arrangement.School supplies
The EDTF, British Council and Teachers Training, Registration and Certification Board collaborated in the capacity development programme.
Speaking at the opening ceremony of the five day capacity building program, Commissioner for Education Dr Gentle Emelah reiterated the commitment of the Bayelsa government to training and capacity of teachers in the state.
He noted that the improved teaching methodology in the state was responsible for the state producing the best student in the 2025 West African School Certificate Examinations.
Prof Ebimiowei, Executive Secretary at EDTF, noted that the collaboration is aimed at improving learning outcomes for pupils and students of public primary and secondary schools in Bayelsa.
“You will agree with me that until the cutlass is sharpened, it will have no impact on the hands of the farmer and so it is with our teachers., you need to be sharpened very well to give good delivery in your various classes and schools.
“Let me at this juncture appreciate the British Council for accepting to train 1,000 teachers, 50 education managers and 60 trainers for Bayelsa,” he said.
On his part, Chairman of the EDTF board, High Chief Fidelis Agbiki expressed appreciation to the Commissioner for Education Dr Gentle Emelah for his supportive role to the fund.
Agbiki urged the beneficiaries to justify the enormous resources invested by the government of Bayelsa by being dedicated within the five days the exercise would last.
He said; “This board will not operate on business as usual but on business unusual as we will push the frontiers outside the box to ensure that we get value for money,” Agbiki said.
 Chairman of Development Partners Committee of the EDTF applauded the commitment of the partners for the successful completion of the programme, urging them to sustain the tempo
Speaking on the programme, Mr Fwanshishak Daniel, Head, English and Schools, British Council noted that the Bayelsa government had shown exemplary commitment to educational development.
He explained that the commitment has enabled the British Council and Bayelsa government to achieve within one year greater milestones that took other states three years to achieve.
He explained that the resources of the British Council have been made available to Bayelsa with the training of 60 resource persons from the state who will in turn train other teachers to improve education.
According to Daniel, the training will lay emphasis on new teaching methods, use of digital tools for self development and access to school amongst others.
Dr Peremoboere Ogola, Acting Chairman of TTRC, which facilitated training, thanked the EDTF for supporting training of teachers in Bayelsa with world class resources of the British Council.
She noted that another batch of newly recruited teachers are currently undergoing training at State government owned University of Africa, Toru Orua, Sagbama LGA in Bayelsa
Continue Reading

News

RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE

Published

on

The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.

The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.

Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee

highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.

“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.

Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.

The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.

Continue Reading

Trending