Connect with us

News

ASUU: FG Withdraws Sack Threat

Published

on

The Federal Government, yesterday, said  it was withdrawing the ultimatum given to striking university lecturers to resume or be sacked following appeals from well-meaning Nigerians and substantial compliance with the directive by some members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).

According to the Federal Government, the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN had confirmed that a sum of two hundred billion Naira agreed with ASUU at a meeting with President Goodluck Jonathan on the 5th of November, 2013 had been fully paid into a Revitalization of Universities Infrastructure Account.

Addressing journalists, the Senior Special Assistant (SSA) to the President on Public Affairs, Dr. Doyin Okupe who showed to newsmen the CBN letter which was signed by the Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Mr Tunde Lemo and addressed to the Accountant General of the Federation, confirmed that the total sum of two hundred billion Naira was the balance in the account as required.

Okupe who noted that what the federal government was interested in how to resolve the six month old crisis in a peaceful manner for the overall interest of all concerned, said, “right now, the issue of ultimatum is not a matter for discussion anymore. There has been substantial compliance nationwide. If I say you must return to work on the 9th and 70% of the people that I am talking to have returned to work, that is substantial compliance.”

Meanwhile, (ASUU) yesterday, declared a three day fasting and prayer to seek divine intervention in the protracted dispute between the Federal Government and the union.

The decision to embark on spiritual intervention came during the union’s congress held at the Faculty of Arts, University of Ibadan.

The congress which was presided over by the Chairman of UI chapter of ASUU, Dr. Olusegun Ajiboye, stressed the need for God to help Nigerian leaders to do the needful and document the resolutions of their meeting with the President.

The congress which expressed optimism that the strike would end soon listed three prayer points to include: “the need for God to touch the heart of the Federal Government to be committed towards funding public education and develop the nation.

They also asked God to protect the leadership of ASUU as they travel and that the purpose of the strike is actualized by placing universities in the league of world class institutions.”

Speaking after the congress, Dr. Ajiboye said the union did not need newspaper confirmation from the President that N200billion has been deposited with the Central Bank of Nigeria.

He said it was impossible for anybody who had not opened an account with a bank to request the bank for a balance.

Meanwhile, the Federal Government has summoned all pro-chancellors and vice chancellors of federal and state universities to a meeting in Abuja tomorrow following the adamant posture of some of the university lecturers to the ultimatum handed down by the Federal Government.

Although, authorities of some universities had responded to the Federal Government’s directive and ordered their staff and students to resume for normal academic activities, majority of the universities and lecturers were yet to comply with the directive.

The meeting at the instance of the Supervising Minister of Education, Mr Nyesom Wike, is slated for today, Wednesday, December 11, 2013 and would be held at the National Universities Commission (NUC) auditorium, a statement signed by the Executive Secretary of NUC said.

According to the statement, “the vice chancellors are to come to the meeting with a list of their prioritised projects based on the Needs Assessment Report for funding. In addition, vice chancellors of state universities must come along with their account details.”

The members of the IMC are the Minister of Education; Executive Secretary of NUC, Executive Secretary of Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund); representatives of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Committee of Vice Chancellors, Committee of Pro-Chancellors, ASUU, Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU), the National Association of Academic Technologists (NAAT) and Academic Staff Union of Non-Universities (NASU) with the Director, Tertiary in the Federal Ministry of Education as Secretary.

Federal Government had, last week, issued a directive to governing councils and vice chancellors in all the public universities to re-open the institutions on December 9, with a sack threat to any defaulting lecturer.

The development had infuriated the striking lecturers who insisted that they were ready to be sacked en masse and that they would not return to classrooms unless their fresh conditions were met. These include settling of their four months salary arrears and disbursement of the N200 billion intervention fund and harmonising as well as signing the Memorandum of Understanding on agreement reached with President Goodluck Jonathan.

The proposed meeting with the pro-chancellors and vice chancellors was to ensure that all the federal universities enforce the directive of the government.

It was not clear whether the meeting was called to disburse the N200 billion the government said it had deposited in an account with the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), which ASUU was insisting must be communicated to it formally.

President of ASUU, Dr Nasir Fagge Isa, said the lecturers were not moved by the N200 billion that the Federal Government announced that it had deposited with the CBN.

Protest by Ogoni youths who marked the World Human Rights Day by blocking East-West Road, to draw attention of the Federal Government to the non-implementaton of the UNEP report, yesterday.

Protest by Ogoni youths who marked the World Human Rights Day by blocking East-West Road, to draw attention of the Federal Government to the non-implementaton of the UNEP report, yesterday.

Continue Reading

News

Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.

The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.

He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.

Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.

“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.

“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.

The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.

Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.

He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.

“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”

The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.

The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.

Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.

Continue Reading

News

US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day

Published

on

The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.

The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.

“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.

According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.

The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.

In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.

Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.

Continue Reading

News

Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role

Published

on

United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.

Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.

The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.

“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.

The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.

Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.

The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.

In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.

“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.

Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.

He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.

Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.

 

Continue Reading

Trending