Connect with us

Politics

Jubilation As Amaechi Joins APC

Published

on

As usual, activities in Government House were in top gear
last week. There was jubilation, Tuesday as the news of Governor Chibuike Amaechi’s movement to All Progressives Congress (APC) hit the air waves.
Governor Amaechi had together with four other G-7 governors met in Abuja on Tuesday morning after their reconciliation meeting with President Goodluck Jonathan was indefinitely postponed.
Following this development, the G-7 governors and other members of the new PDP met to review the current political developments in the country and fixed their meeting for Tuesday in order to meet with APC leaders.
It was at their meeting with APC leadership on Tuesday that Governor Amaechi alongside Kwara, Kano and Adamawa governors formally announced their merger with APC at the Kano State Governor’s lodge, Abuja.
Governor Amaechi returned to Rivers State on Tuesday while briefing newsmen over the development.
He said, “Yes I have moved to the APC this morning after the meeting we had with Buhari, Tinubu and interim National Chairman of APC, Chief Bisi Akande”.
On the out come of the reconciliatory meeting with the President, Governor Amaechi observed that though the meeting was postponed, it was already clear that the presidency was not ready for reconciliation, saying, the picture painted by the PDP was as if they were begging, while the real issues at stake were not looked into.
The Rivers State governor submitted that the G-7 governors and the new PDP had no option but to move out of the PDP to strengthen democracy and move the country forward. “I’ am elected to lead Rivers people.  And I have looked at the interest of Rivers people and see that it’s not being protected by the PDP”.
On Wednesday, the Rivers State governor convened an emergency meeting, with members of the state executive council and party big wigs in the old PDP.
Shortly after the meeting most of the stakeholders and party leaders spoke to Government House reporters and pledged their support for the governor’s decision to join the APC.
Chairman of Bonny Local Government council, Barrister Edward Pepple described the development as democracy at work. He insisted that people must stand for the truth and that principle must be allowed to drive politics.
Degema local council boss, Hon. Ibigoni Pokima vowed to mobilise for the APC in his local government area, “I’m telling you that APC is going to win this state”, he enthused.
On his part, chairman of Port Harcourt local government council, Chimbiko Akarolo emphasised that the prospects of the APC werebright in Rivers State,” let me assure Rivers people that there is no problem. The people that make things happen are the ones that are in APC.
Also speaking, chieftain of the APC in the state and former Commissioner for Special Duties, Chief Davies Ibiamu Ikanya said the defection had changed the political equation in the state and the country.
On Thursday the Rivers State Government announced the dissolution of Obio/Akpor Local Government council.
A statement by the Secretary to the State Government George Feyii said the action was in line with the Rivers State Local Government Law of 2012 which confers, on the governor the power to do so.
Also on Thursday, Governor Amaechi in far away Britain presented a lecture at the British House of Commons. The paper entitled Security and Human Rights Challenges in the Niger Delta, mirrored the several phases of Nigeria’s civil and human rights struggle vis-a-vis the resource control.
On Friday, Commissioner for Justice and Attorney-General, Mr. Worgu Boms and human rights lawyer, Ken Atsuete defended the dissolution of Obio/Akpor council. They stressed the need to divorce justice from politics, insisting that the governor acted in accordance with provisions of local government law No.2 of 2012.
Both Worgu Boms and Ken Atsuete urged the sacked Obio/Akpor council boss to seek redress of he so wishes. On the same Friday, Head of Local Government Administration of Obio/Akpor, Mr.  Singer Azubuike Singer said had has resumed work as directed by government.
The Chief of Staff at the weekend issued a press statement denxing claims by the Chief of Army Staff, Gen. Onyeabor Azubuike Ihejirika that the fundamentalist Islamic fact Boko Harm is spreading in some states, including Rivers .
Chief Okocha said it was untrue that Boko Harm has spread in activities, adding that there is no evidence to show.

Continue Reading

Politics

FG’s Economic Policies Not Working – APC Chieftain

Published

on

A senator who represented Taraba Central, Mr Abubakar Yusuf, has declared that the economic policies of President Bola Tinubu are not yielding the expected results.
His comment is one of the strongest internal critiques yet from within the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
The comment underscores the growing dissatisfaction within sections of the ruling party over the direction and impact of the administration’s economic reforms amid rising living costs and fiscal pressures across the country.
Mr Yusuf, who served in the Senate between 2015 and 2023 under the platform of the APC, made the remarks during an appearance on national television.
Responding to a question on whether the administration’s economic direction, often referred to as Tinubunomics, was working, Mr Yusuf answered in the contrary.
“For me, it is not working. I am a member of the APC. I would be the last person to hide the facts”, he said.
He said while the government might be operating diligently within its policy structure, the framework itself is ill-suited to Nigeria’s current realities
“Within the policy framework, yes, they are doing their best, but it is not the framework that is suitable for Nigeria at the point in time that President Asiwaju came into power,” he said.
Mr Yusuf criticised the immediate removal of fuel subsidy on the day the president was sworn in, arguing that the decision lacked sufficient consultation and planning.
“I am one of those who say President Asiwaju ought to have waited. Not on the day he was sworn in to say subsidy is gone. On what basis?”, he asked.
He urged broader engagement before major fiscal decisions are taken.
“Sit down with your cabinet, sit down with your ministers, sit down with your advisers,” he said, dismissing the argument that subsidy removal was justified solely on grounds of corruption.
The former lawmaker identified “structural flaws” in the country’s budgeting system, particularly the envelope budgeting model.
“One of the basic problems is that before you budget, you should have a plan. The envelope system we have been operating has been you budget before you plan. That has been a major issue”, he said.
He argued that allocating spending ceilings without aligning them to concrete development strategies inevitably weakens implementation and delivery.
“If you give me an envelope which is contrary to my plan, whether it is plus or minus, there is no way I am going to implement my plan. It is bound to fail,” he said.
Mr Yusuf called for the scrapping of the envelope budgeting system, noting that he had consistently opposed it even during his years in the National Assembly.
“It is not good for us. It is not going to work well for us,” he said.
He further blamed poor capital releases and persistent deficit financing for undermining budget performance over the years.
“We could not meet 60 percent of our capital budget in all these years. No releases. If you make a budget and the release is very poor, there is no way the budget will be executed”, he stated.
According to him, weak fund disbursement mechanisms and reliance on deficit financing have entrenched a cycle of underperformance.
“Our budget ought to have been a surplus budget, but all our budgets have always been deficit financing budgets,” Mr Yusuf added.

Continue Reading

Politics

Reps To Meet,’Morrow Over INEC’s 2027 Election Timetable

Published

on

The Nigerian House of Representatives has resolved to reconvene for an emergency session tomorrow February 17, 2026, to deliberate on issues arising from the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) release of the timetable for the 2027 general elections.
The decision was disclosed in a statement issued by the House Spokesman, Rep. Akin Rotimi, who described the electoral body’s announcement as one of “constitutional and national significance.”
INEC had fixed February 20, 2027, for the Presidential and National Assembly elections.
According to the statement, members of the Green Chamber were notified of the emergency sitting through an internal memorandum from the Speaker’s office.
The session is expected to focus on legislative matters connected to the newly released timetable, reflecting the House’s resolve to act promptly on issues affecting the nation’s democratic process.
Rep. Rotimi noted that all related businesses would be treated with urgency and urged lawmakers to prioritise attendance in view of the importance of the deliberations.
INEC had on Friday formally unveiled the comprehensive schedule for the 2027 polls, including timelines for party primaries slated for July to September 2026, as well as the commencement of Continuous Voter Registration in April 2026.
The development comes amid ongoing consultations and proposed amendments to the Electoral Act ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Continue Reading

Politics

Group Continues Push For Real Time Election Results Transmission

Published

on

As the controversy over the transmission of election results continues across the country, the Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), a pro democracy organisation in the country, has criticised the National Assembly for not giving express approval to real time transmission of elections results.
To this end, the group is calling on all civil society organisations in the country to mobilise and push for a better Electoral Reform in the country.
This was contained in a press statement titled, “Defence For Human Rights and Democracy Demands Real Time Election Transmission of Result”, a copy of which was made available to newsmen in Port Harcourt.
The group described the refusal of compulsory real time transmission of result results by the Senate as undemocratic, adding that the situation will give room for election manipulation, rigging and voters apathy.
It said that the provision of mandatory real time transmission of election results would have significant improvement on the nation’s democracy.
According to the statement, “Since the return of democracy in 1999 to date, it is 27 years, so our Democracy has metamorphosed from being nascent and as such significant improvement should have been recorded.
“Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), is really disappointed at the National Assembly, especially the upper chamber (Senate) for not approving ‘Real Time Electronic Transmission of Election Result’.
“This undemocratic act of theirs, if not tamed, will give room for election manipulation and rigging’”.
Signed by Comrade Clifford Christopher Solomon on behalf of the organisation, the statement further said, “The Defence For Human Rights and Democracy unequivocally supports real time transmission of election result”, stressing that his group will resist any act by the National Assembly to undermine the nation’s democracy.
“DHRD,unequivocally supports ‘True Democracy’, which is Government of the people, by the people and for the people.
“Therefore, anything that will crash the hope of Nigerians to Freely, Fairly and Transparently elect candidates of their choice in any given election should and will be vehemently resisted because good governance begins with leaders elected through credible process. By so doing, leaders have entered a social contract with the citizens to equitably manage their affairs and abundant resources”, the statement added.
It urged the National Assembly to revisit the issue in order to avoid civil unrest.
According to the DHRD, “To avoid civil unrest,voters apathy, election rigging and manipulation, rather to promote citizens participation, advancing our Democracy and entrenching free, fair, credible and acceptable electoral outcome, the National Assembly should amend the electoral act in a manner that will deepen our democracy and boost citizens confidence.
“On this note, The Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), is calling on all other civil society organisations (CSOs) to mobilise, organise and push for a better electoral act amendment by the National Assembly”.

By: John Bibor

Continue Reading

Trending