Connect with us

Politics

NLC Okays Amaechi’s Achievements

Published

on

Most of the activities of Governor Chibuike Amaechi were done outside the state, as he was represented by other state officials within the week in various state functions.

He was represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Mr George Feyii, during the inauguration of the new State Education Quality Assurance Agency.

Commissioner for Commerce, Chienye Chuma also stood in for  the governor during the setting up of a Business Roundtable Committee in the state penultimate week.

Last weekend, the Secretary to the State Government, represented Governor Chibuike Amaechi as he bade farewell to visiting students of Institute of Security Studies (ISS), Abuja, who were in the state for a three-day study tour.

Last week Tueday however, the Association of Local Government of Nigeria (ALGON), Rivers State Chapter, led by its chairman and Mayor of Port Harcourt, Chimbiko Akarolo, briefed newsmen on the brewing wranglings within the fold of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the state.

The body was responding to the controversial judgment by an Abuja High Court dissolving the Chief Godspower Ake-led PDP Executive on Monday. ALGON vowed not to recognise the court instituted exco led by Chief Felix Obuah, whom they said did not contest elections.

Mr. Akarolo declared that, “We shall not support or do business with new exco. The decision is a bad luck to democracy in Rivers State.” It, therefore, pledged support to the Chief Ake-led executive.

ALGON insisted that the country must be ruled on the platform of truth and therefore urged party faithfuls to be peaceful and law-abiding, as justice is sure to reign again with an appeal already instituted in the matter.

On Tuesday evening last week, the state governor played host to the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), which was in the state for the 5th Quadrennial Confereence and elections of the Amalgamated Union of Public Corporation, Civil Service, Technical and Recreational Services Employees (AUCPTRE).

The NLC led by its president, Abdulwaheed Omar, was welcomed with a dinner party during which the Secretary to the State Government expressed happiness for AUCPTRE holding its conference in Port Harcourt.

The Rivers State Government scribe said, “it may interest you that Port Harcourt is 100 years and you will be duely informed about the centenary festivities.”

Mr Feyii urged the labour union to enjoy their stay in Port Harcourt as the state was peaceful, while reminding them that the government was labour-friendly.

The NLC and other AUCPTRE executives finally paid courtesy visit to Governor Amaechi on Friday. Comrade Omar thanked the Rivers State governor for the hospitality and love shown to them.

Omar described Governor Amaechi as “pillar of democracy in Nigeria,” noting that labour and Nigerians are watching with interest the political developments in Rivers State.

The NLC president assured that labour will continue to associate with “good things,” while lauding Amaechi for his educational programmes.  “I have not seen anywhere children are learning under that kind of atmosphere,” he said.

On his part, Governor Amaechi thanked the group for choosing Rivers State as venue of their election and urged them to ensure they choose the right leaders, adding “I think it’s criminal not to allow workers elect those who will lead them.”

He further stressed, “the day we begin to elect our leaders ourselves then corruption will die.”

On Saturday, a massive solidarity rally besieged the gates of Government House, Port Harcourt. Youths, women, lawmakers in both the national and state assemblies spoke against the sack of Chief Godspower Ake-led PDP executive in Rivers State by an Abuja High Court on Monday.

A PDP youth leader, Bethel Oko-Jaja, described the judgment as a “collasal judgment” and vowed that the PDP will pursue the matter to a conclusion. He further said, “our support is total and we call for total endorsement and support for Chibuike Amaechi.

Senator Magnus Abe and Hon Chidi Llyod, including chairman of Etche Local Government Area, Reginald Ukwuoma all took turns to speak. Deputy Governor, Engr Tele Ikuru represented  the governor at the rally.

Engr Ikuru warned that when once Nigerians lose their right to get justice then they have loost their fate. He added, “If we do not  rise up now, we have lost our charter.”

Later, Saturday, Governor Amaechi took part in the coronation of Amanyanabo of Ogoloma in Okrika Local Government Area.

He assured the new king that his administration will work with him to bring peace and development to the area. “I tell my Okrika friends that you are peace-loving man, with you Okrika will know peace.”

Continue Reading

Politics

FG’s Economic Policies Not Working – APC Chieftain

Published

on

A senator who represented Taraba Central, Mr Abubakar Yusuf, has declared that the economic policies of President Bola Tinubu are not yielding the expected results.
His comment is one of the strongest internal critiques yet from within the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
The comment underscores the growing dissatisfaction within sections of the ruling party over the direction and impact of the administration’s economic reforms amid rising living costs and fiscal pressures across the country.
Mr Yusuf, who served in the Senate between 2015 and 2023 under the platform of the APC, made the remarks during an appearance on national television.
Responding to a question on whether the administration’s economic direction, often referred to as Tinubunomics, was working, Mr Yusuf answered in the contrary.
“For me, it is not working. I am a member of the APC. I would be the last person to hide the facts”, he said.
He said while the government might be operating diligently within its policy structure, the framework itself is ill-suited to Nigeria’s current realities
“Within the policy framework, yes, they are doing their best, but it is not the framework that is suitable for Nigeria at the point in time that President Asiwaju came into power,” he said.
Mr Yusuf criticised the immediate removal of fuel subsidy on the day the president was sworn in, arguing that the decision lacked sufficient consultation and planning.
“I am one of those who say President Asiwaju ought to have waited. Not on the day he was sworn in to say subsidy is gone. On what basis?”, he asked.
He urged broader engagement before major fiscal decisions are taken.
“Sit down with your cabinet, sit down with your ministers, sit down with your advisers,” he said, dismissing the argument that subsidy removal was justified solely on grounds of corruption.
The former lawmaker identified “structural flaws” in the country’s budgeting system, particularly the envelope budgeting model.
“One of the basic problems is that before you budget, you should have a plan. The envelope system we have been operating has been you budget before you plan. That has been a major issue”, he said.
He argued that allocating spending ceilings without aligning them to concrete development strategies inevitably weakens implementation and delivery.
“If you give me an envelope which is contrary to my plan, whether it is plus or minus, there is no way I am going to implement my plan. It is bound to fail,” he said.
Mr Yusuf called for the scrapping of the envelope budgeting system, noting that he had consistently opposed it even during his years in the National Assembly.
“It is not good for us. It is not going to work well for us,” he said.
He further blamed poor capital releases and persistent deficit financing for undermining budget performance over the years.
“We could not meet 60 percent of our capital budget in all these years. No releases. If you make a budget and the release is very poor, there is no way the budget will be executed”, he stated.
According to him, weak fund disbursement mechanisms and reliance on deficit financing have entrenched a cycle of underperformance.
“Our budget ought to have been a surplus budget, but all our budgets have always been deficit financing budgets,” Mr Yusuf added.

Continue Reading

Politics

Reps To Meet,’Morrow Over INEC’s 2027 Election Timetable

Published

on

The Nigerian House of Representatives has resolved to reconvene for an emergency session tomorrow February 17, 2026, to deliberate on issues arising from the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) release of the timetable for the 2027 general elections.
The decision was disclosed in a statement issued by the House Spokesman, Rep. Akin Rotimi, who described the electoral body’s announcement as one of “constitutional and national significance.”
INEC had fixed February 20, 2027, for the Presidential and National Assembly elections.
According to the statement, members of the Green Chamber were notified of the emergency sitting through an internal memorandum from the Speaker’s office.
The session is expected to focus on legislative matters connected to the newly released timetable, reflecting the House’s resolve to act promptly on issues affecting the nation’s democratic process.
Rep. Rotimi noted that all related businesses would be treated with urgency and urged lawmakers to prioritise attendance in view of the importance of the deliberations.
INEC had on Friday formally unveiled the comprehensive schedule for the 2027 polls, including timelines for party primaries slated for July to September 2026, as well as the commencement of Continuous Voter Registration in April 2026.
The development comes amid ongoing consultations and proposed amendments to the Electoral Act ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Continue Reading

Politics

Group Continues Push For Real Time Election Results Transmission

Published

on

As the controversy over the transmission of election results continues across the country, the Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), a pro democracy organisation in the country, has criticised the National Assembly for not giving express approval to real time transmission of elections results.
To this end, the group is calling on all civil society organisations in the country to mobilise and push for a better Electoral Reform in the country.
This was contained in a press statement titled, “Defence For Human Rights and Democracy Demands Real Time Election Transmission of Result”, a copy of which was made available to newsmen in Port Harcourt.
The group described the refusal of compulsory real time transmission of result results by the Senate as undemocratic, adding that the situation will give room for election manipulation, rigging and voters apathy.
It said that the provision of mandatory real time transmission of election results would have significant improvement on the nation’s democracy.
According to the statement, “Since the return of democracy in 1999 to date, it is 27 years, so our Democracy has metamorphosed from being nascent and as such significant improvement should have been recorded.
“Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), is really disappointed at the National Assembly, especially the upper chamber (Senate) for not approving ‘Real Time Electronic Transmission of Election Result’.
“This undemocratic act of theirs, if not tamed, will give room for election manipulation and rigging’”.
Signed by Comrade Clifford Christopher Solomon on behalf of the organisation, the statement further said, “The Defence For Human Rights and Democracy unequivocally supports real time transmission of election result”, stressing that his group will resist any act by the National Assembly to undermine the nation’s democracy.
“DHRD,unequivocally supports ‘True Democracy’, which is Government of the people, by the people and for the people.
“Therefore, anything that will crash the hope of Nigerians to Freely, Fairly and Transparently elect candidates of their choice in any given election should and will be vehemently resisted because good governance begins with leaders elected through credible process. By so doing, leaders have entered a social contract with the citizens to equitably manage their affairs and abundant resources”, the statement added.
It urged the National Assembly to revisit the issue in order to avoid civil unrest.
According to the DHRD, “To avoid civil unrest,voters apathy, election rigging and manipulation, rather to promote citizens participation, advancing our Democracy and entrenching free, fair, credible and acceptable electoral outcome, the National Assembly should amend the electoral act in a manner that will deepen our democracy and boost citizens confidence.
“On this note, The Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), is calling on all other civil society organisations (CSOs) to mobilise, organise and push for a better electoral act amendment by the National Assembly”.

By: John Bibor

Continue Reading

Trending