Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

Bauchi

Bauchi State Agency for the Control of AIDS, has paid the dowry of 152 couples living with HIV/AIDS who were married from 2008 to date.

Malam Usman Zico, Chairman of the state chapter of Network of People Living with HIV/AIDS in Nigeria said this in Bauchi. He spoke at the inauguration of the second phase of the HIV/AIDS Programme Development Project (HPDP-2).

Zico said that the agency paid between N20, 000 and N30, 000 as dowry for each couple who got married during the period.

He said that the effort was not in vain as the marriages had, according to him, “produced an impressive number of babies that tested negative to the HIV virus”.

The chairman urged the agency to continue the good work and called on other organisations to emulate the gesture.

 

Ekiti

Governor Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti has ordered queries to be issued to workers of Ilejemeje Local Government Council who were absent during his unscheduled visit to the council.

The Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Mr Olayinka Oyebode, said the state’s Local Government Service Commission had been directed to issue the queries.

The statement said the governor gave the directive when he discovered that only 42 of the entire staff of the council were at work when he visited the secretariat.

Also absent during the governor’s visit were the Director of Administration, the Treasurer as well as majority of the staff.

 

Kano

The Kano State Chapter of the NLC, is to declare its stand soon on the alleged plan by the state government to stop payment of ‘Ram Bonus’ to civil servants.

The Chairman of the NLC in the state, Mr Isa Danguguwa, made the disclosure in an interview in Kano on Thursday.

A law was enacted by the state’s House of Assembly during the immediate-past administration to pay workers 50 per cent of their basic salaries every year before Eid-el-Kabir celebrations. The bonus is to enable workers to buy rams for the festival.

The state government recently sent a bill to the state’s assembly, seeking an amendment of the law to make it optional for the government to pay the bonus.

He said the NLC was yet to be communicated officially on the issue and “as soon as we do, we shall take the appropriate step ’’.

 

Kebbi

The World Bank-assisted Community and Social Development Project in Kebbi has spent N573.7 million to execute 260 projects in rural communities, the General Manager, Alhaji Usman Abubakar, said.

Abubakar told the Speaker of the state House of Assembly, Alhaji Habibu Aminu, in Birnin Kebbi that the communities contributed 10 per cent of the cost of each project.

He said that the programme was introduced in 2009 to address development issues in the areas of education, electricity supply, health, water, environment and sanitation.

Abubakar explained that 103 of the projects had been completed while 90 others were in various stages of execution.

 

Kwara

Governor AbdulFatah Ahmed of Kwara says his administration will partner with the World Bank to tackle unemployment in the state.

Ahmed said this in Ilorin while declaring open a meeting with a World Bank group, Youth Empowerment and Social Support Operations (YESSO).

The governor was represented by his deputy, Mr Peter Kisira.

Ahmed said 2,730 youths had been placed in the Kwara Bridge Empowerment Scheme (KWABES) for one year and would be offered permanent employment.

He also said that his administration had designed numerous programmes to tackle unemployment in the state.

 

Kogi

The Speaker, Kogi House of Assembly, Alhaji Abdullahi Bello, has urged members of the House to shun corrupt practice and guard against being lured into taking bribes during their oversight functions.

Bello made the call in Lokoja at the plenary when the House resumed from a four-week recess to commence the second legislative session of the Fifth Assembly.

The speaker said: “I urge you to learn from the recent happenings in our political environment and guard against any conduct that could portray the House in bad light.’’

Bello enjoined them to discharge their assignments with all sense of commitment and responsibility.

 

Niger

The Niger Government has appointed a 40-man committee to plan the fund raising for the construction of a church and a mosque in the Three Arms Zone in Minna.

The Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Religious Affairs, Alhaji Hamidu Kuta, made the disclosure to newsmen after the state executive council’s meeting.

He said that designs for the two places of worship had been completed and that the appeal fund, which the government would support would ensure the prompt completion of projects.

Kuta said that government had also planned to assist Muslims to break their fast during the 2012 Ramadan.

 

Ondo

A chieftain of the Labour Party in Ondo State, Chief Yemi Adetoyinbo, has advised youths in the state to shun violence during the forthcoming governorship election in the state.

Adetoyinbo said in Akure that youths in the state must reject any call to cause trouble during the election.

“As future leaders of the state and the country, youths have a stake in the Nigeria project.

“ They must not allow any politician in whatever garb to lure them into violence,” he said.

 

Plateau

The General Manager, Jos Metropolitan Development Board (JMDB), Mr Mathias Hata, said that the 1974 Jos master-plan as been reviewed.

Hata said in Jos that the review, completed last month, would prepare the city to fit into the current wave of infrastructural developmental strides.

According to him, reviewing the plan became imperative to enable the JMDB to meet its statutory mandate.

He said that the master-plan would be reviewed regularly “to meet up with the development and growth of the city’’.

 

Sokoto

The Executive Director of the National Primary Healthcare Development Agency, Dr Ado Muhammad, has said that the agency has procured vaccines worth N6 billion to ensure effective immunisation of children nationwide.

Muhammad told newsmen in Sokoto that the vaccines would be distributed to the 36 states and the FCT for routing immunisation.

According to him, the Federal Government has made adequate provision for the immunisation of over six million children nationwide, annually.

“So the recent reports in some media that there was a vaccine stock out was untrue, unfounded and baseless,’’ he stressed.

He said that over two million vaccines were distributed across the country for the fifth round of the National Immunisation Plus-Days which commenced on Wednesday.

 

Taraba

Alhaji Mohammed Abdullahi, president of the National Institute of Public Relations (NIPR), has described the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) as the apex of the print media.

Abdullahi said this in Jalingo when the national executives of the institute paid a courtesy call on the Jalingo station of NAN.

“I wish to state without mincing words that NAN is the apex of the print media. Most media organisations in the country depend largely on news and news materials from you (NAN).

“No print media has the strength and capacity of covering events in the country and beyond like NAN. If NAN is down, majority of Nigerian media organisations will be down,’’ he said.

 

Zamfara

Governor Abdulaziz Yari of Zamfara last Wednesday warned the new local council chairmen in the state against truancy.

The governor gave the warning in Gusau at the inauguration of the 13 local government chairmen elected on June 23.

Yari advised the new chairmen to brace up for the challenges of making life better for their people, adding that the victory of the ANPP in the elections showed that the people had confidence in the political leadership of the state.

He said that the government would continue to support the autonomy of the local government councils through prompt release of their statutory allocations.

The governor, however, said that the state government would closely monitor the utilisation of the funds and would deal with any council official found guilty of financial impropriety.

Continue Reading

Nation

Youths Vow To Continue Protest Over Dilapidated Highway

Published

on

Youths from five local government areas in Northern Cross River State have concluded a one-week warning protest and blockade of the dilapidated Ikom-Wula-Obudu federal highway over the weekend.
They have vowed to resume the road blocks if by this week the authorities do not intervene to fix the road.
More than five thousand locals, mostly youths from Obanliku, Etung, Obudu, Ikom and Boki LGAs trooped out everyday for one week, used palm trees to block the highway to draw state and federal government’s attention to their plights, requesting the repair of a road has has been unmotorable for about 40 years.
They warned that if they do not see any actions from the state or federal governments, they will resume their Plan B protest, stop revenue collections and make governance unpalatable.
The youths also warned that without interventions on the road which has claimed several lives, including that of last week when a pregnant woman died with her baby in the full glare of the protesters because of the terrible road, no election can hold in the area next year.
One of the leaders of the No Road , No Election protest, who is also the Abo Youths in Boki LGA, Dr Martins Assam said both the federal and state governments have neglected the region, which generates more than 70 percent state revenue from agriculture.
He said if machinery is not deployed by next week, they will not have any option than to embark on unpalatable and disastrous protest, and stop revenue collections in the area.
“Last week we had only a warning strike for one good week. We’ll embark on a more elaborate, disastrous one-month blockade of this highway until they intervene. We call on our Governor and representatives in the National Assembly to act now by impressing on the federal government to immediately fix this road else. We’re not asking for two much but to be treated as human beings.”
Another protester, Clinton Obi from the Etung axis said, “We’ve been neglected for 40 years. This Ikom-Obudu federal highway had been impassable. The government has removed its concentration from our plights. By this one week protest, we want action on this road otherwise the next phase of protest will be costly.”
Reverend Father Francis Amaozo, priest in charge of St. Nicholas parish in Nashua, Boki LGA said, “I have also been a victim of this very deplorable road. Enough is now enough. We’ve been betrayed by our representatives and other leaders, so that we in this axis have become endangered species on this road. I have lost some many members on this road.”
Member, representing the Boki-Ikom federal constituency of the state in the House of Representatives, Bisong Victor Abang had pleaded with the locals to be a bit more patient with the government as action will commence shortly.

Continue Reading

Nation

UNIPORT VC Receives Inaugural Lecture Brochure As Professor Highlights Urgent Need For Drug Repurposing In Malaria Fight

Published

on

The Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Prof Owunari Georgewill, last Thursday received the inaugural lecture brochure from the Inaugural Lecturer, Professor Udeme Georgewill, during a ceremony at the university’s Centre of Excellence attended by academics, researchers, students, and distinguished guests.
Delivering her lecture, Professor Udeme Georgewill described the occasion as the culmination of years of dedicated research, teaching, and service to humanity. He explained that his work as a pharmacologist has consistently focused on finding practical, affordable, and scientifically sound solutions to health challenges that disproportionately affect developing countries, particularly malaria, which remains one of Nigeria’s most pressing public health concerns.
She noted that Nigeria continues to bear one of the heaviest malaria burdens globally, accounting for a significant percentage of worldwide cases and deaths. The disease, largely caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite and transmitted through Anopheles mosquitoes, remains especially dangerous for children under five years and pregnant women, threatening not only present populations but unborn generations. Despite years of intervention efforts, malaria continues to strain families, health systems, and the national economy.
Prof Georgewill empha-sised that while Artemisinin-based Combination Therapies such as Artemether-Lumefantrine remain the gold standard for malaria treatment, emerging resistance patterns pose a serious challenge. He explained that drug resistance is a survival mechanism of the parasite, enabling it to adapt and reduce the effectiveness of medications designed to eliminate it. According to her, instances where patients do not feel better after initial treatment sometimes lead to repeated dosing or the search for injectable alternatives, practices that can worsen resistance and complicate treatment outcomes.
Against this backdrop, she advocated strongly for drug repurposing as a strategic and urgent response. Drug repurposing, he explained, involves identifying new therapeutic uses for already approved and widely available medications. He likened the concept to “old wine in new wineskins,” stressing that medicines already proven safe for certain conditions can be carefully re-evaluated and optimised for new roles in malaria management. This approach, she argued, offers advantages such as reduced research timelines, lower development costs, and faster clinical application compared to developing entirely new drugs from scratch.
She disclosed that her research had progressed from laboratory investigations to clinical evaluations, where his team is studying combinations involving Artemether-Lumefantrine and Ivermectin to determine their effectiveness in improving treatment outcomes and possibly reducing transmission. Clinical trials are ongoing, and findings will be communicated upon completion of regulatory processes. However, he cautioned strongly against self-medication, warning that misuse of drugs without proper diagnosis and prescription can lead to organ damage, treatment failure, and increased resistance.
Referencing global health commitments, Prof Georgewill highlighted Sustainable Development Goal 3.3, which seeks to end epidemics of malaria and other major infectious diseases by 2030. She questioned whether the goal remains attainable under current realities, especially with growing resistance and funding gaps. He also referred to strategies of the World Health Organisation aimed at drastically reducing malaria incidence and mortality while pushing toward elimination in several countries.
Looking ahead, she revealed that her team is building comprehensive research databases to support artificial intelligence-driven drug repurposing. He stressed that the integration of artificial intelligence, molecular docking, and advanced screening technologies is transforming global drug discovery, and Nigerian researchers must be equipped to participate competitively in this evolving scientific landscape.
In her recommendations, she called for the establishment of a National Centre for Drug Repurposing to coordinate research efforts and leverage artificial intelligence in identifying new indications for existing medicines. He urged policymakers to simplify and accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries into clinical application, ensuring that scientific breakthroughs benefit the public more efficiently. She also appealed to the university and relevant authorities to increase funding and modernise laboratory infrastructure, including high-throughput screening facilities, to strengthen Nigeria’s position in global biomedical research.
The lecture concluded with expressions of gratitude to God, the university leadership, colleagues, students, and guests, as the event underscored the University of Port Harcourt’s commitment to research excellence and its role in addressing critical public health challenges facing Nigeria and the wider world.

Continue Reading

Nation

Niger CAN Rejects Proposed Hisbah Bill, Urges Gov Bago Not To Assent

Published

on

The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Niger State Chapter, has rejected the proposed Niger State Hisbah Directorates Bill, describing it as controversial and capable of deepening religious division in the state.
In a statement signed by the State Chairman, Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, and made available to The Tide’s source yesterday, the association urged Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago not to assent to the bill if it is passed by the State House of Assembly.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing Chanchaga Constituency, Hon. Mohammed Abubakar, seeks to establish a Hisbah Directorate in Niger State.
CAN warned that the legislation could be perceived as discriminatory against Christians and may heighten tension in the religiously diverse state.
“Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, we, the entire Christendom in the state, wish to draw your attention to what could easily create division among the people you govern,” the statement read in part.
The association questioned the necessity and benefits of the proposed law, asking what economic or social value it would add to the state.
It further argued that existing security agencies, including the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, already have constitutional mandates to maintain law and order.
The Christian body also faulted the legislative process, disputing claims that it was consulted during a public hearing on the bill.
It insisted that it was neither invited nor notified of any such engagement, despite being a critical stakeholder in the state.

Continue Reading

Trending