Business
NITEL Liquidation: BPE Awaits Further Directive
The Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) is awaiting further directive from the National Council on Privatisation (NCP) to begin the liquidation of NITEL, Mr Chukwuma Nwokoh, the spokesman of the organisation, has said.
Nwokoh made this known in a telephone interview on Tuesday in Abuja.
NCP, the body responsible for the sale of government owned companies, is headed by Vice President Namadi Sambo.
We recalled that in March, the Federal Government approved the adoption of “guided liquidation process” for the ailing NITEL and Mtel, its mobile subsidiary.
However, that process hit a brick-wall following an order by the Senate Committee on Privatisation to the NCP and the privatisation agency to halt the liquidation process.
Nwokoh said that BPE had responded to some queries raised by the committee, including providing detailed information on the current debt profile of the telecommunications firm.
He, however, did not provide information on the current value of NITEL, but said the current debt profile was about N350 billion, while some organisations, especially government parastatal agencies were, owing it N35 billion.
Prof. Sylvester Monye, a presidential aide, was quoted as saying last week that “the liabilities of NITEL had gone so bad that nobody wants to buy it”.
Monye, who is the Special Adviser to the President on Performance, Monitoring and Evaluation, spoke at a one-day forum in Abuja organized by the Nigeria Institute of Advanced Legal Studies.
“The liability and the mess in the company have gone so bad that no amount of money can pay for the mess; that is why we have gone for “controlled and managed’ liquidation,” he said.
Several attempts by the BPE to get prospective core investors to take over the ailing NITEL and Mtel since the privatization exercise began 10 years ago, have failed.
Business
Two Federal Agencies Enter Pack On Expansion, Sustainable Electricity In Niger Delta
Business
Why The AI Boom May Extend The Reign Of Natural Gas
Business
Ogun To Join Oil-Producing States ……..As NNPCL Kicks Off Commercial Oil Production At Eba
-
Politics5 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Sports2 days ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Sports5 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business5 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Featured5 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports5 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
Sports5 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
-
Sports5 days ago
‘NTF Will Build On Davis Cup Success For Brighter Future’
