Connect with us

News

Poor Funding Threatens INEC Operations …As N2bn Staff Pension Trapped In NICON – Jega

Published

on

The 2012 budgetary allocation to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) is inadequate for preparations toward the 2015 elections, the  Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof Attahiru Jega, said on Wednesday.

Jega made this known to the Senate Committee on INEC in Abuja during an official visit to INEC’s headquarters.

“Where we are having the most challenging issue is the slashing of the budget proposal by 40 per cent, as barely 60 per cent of the budget is appropriated.

“This has put INEC in a very serious constraint and pressure in terms of being able to do some essential and urgent jobs between now and 2015.”

Jega said INEC had only 600 permanent structures in 774 local government areas of the country, adding that these permanent structures were being renovated without being furnished for effective use.

According to him, INEC will be handicapped in the execution of its programme if the situation fails to improve as the provisions in the 2012 budget allows for the renovation of only 67 structures.

He stressed the need for 774 local government areas to have functional offices for conducting proper election, collation of results and adequate security.

Jega recalled that in 2011, the National Assembly gave approval for building 75 offices but noted that only the erection of 10 offices would be covered by the 2012 budgetary allocation.

He expressed regret that the budgetary allocation merely provided for the erection of three houses for Resident Electoral Commissioners houses in 2012.

He said in spite of challenges facing the commission INEC remarkable progress had been recorded under his stewardship.

Responding, the Chairman, Senate Committee on INEC, expressed concern over the complaint regarding underfunding of the commission.

He said the matter would be given attention if a supplementary budget was forwarded to the lawmakers.

Uba said there was urgent need to work toward ensuring supplementary budget for INEC as Nigerians could not afford any excuses.

Meanwhile, the Chairman of Independent Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof Attahiru Jega,  said in Abuja on Wednesday that the commission’s N2 billion pension fund was trapped in NICON Insurance.

Briefing the Senate Committee on INEC during an oversight visit to INEC headquarters, Jega said it had been difficult to retrieve the fund from the corporation.

Jega said that most of the challenges had to do with the old pension scheme, adding that issues relating to it were now in court.

He said the present INEC had not defaulted in paying pensioners their dues, adding that their complaints were redressed without delay.

Jega assured the committee that INEC would continue to intensify dialogue and consultations in ensuring that adequate welfare of its staff and retirees was addressed.

The chairman said he inherited some court judgments involving some of INEC staff, adding that an in-house process for decisive actions had begun.

He referred to the Ekiti election for which some officers were indicted.

“Those whose names were mentioned we have dealt with and those indirectly indicted we have constituted internal enquiry for fair hearing.

“Some have been asked to retire while some were dismissed, this is not for us to advertise because the challenge is for us to cleanse the system.

Jega said INEC had fewer court cases in the 2011 elections than 2007 and added that 99 per cent of the judgments were in INEC’s favour.

According to him, the commission has mapped out strategies towards satisfying the desire and aspiration of Nigerians by 2015.

Continue Reading

News

Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.

The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.

He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.

Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.

“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.

“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.

The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.

Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.

He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.

“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”

The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.

The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.

Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.

Continue Reading

News

US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day

Published

on

The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.

The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.

“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.

According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.

The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.

In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.

Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.

Continue Reading

News

Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role

Published

on

United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.

Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.

The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.

“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.

The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.

Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.

The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.

In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.

“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.

Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.

He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.

Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.

 

Continue Reading

Trending