Connect with us

Niger Delta

Diri Tasks Muslims On Peace-building … Hails Eid-el-Fitr Celebration 

Published

on

The Bayelsa State Governor, Senator Douye Diri, has implored leaders and adherents of the Islamic faith to use the occasion of the celebration of Eid-el-fitr to promote love, unity, tolerance and peaceful co-existence.
The event, referred to as Holy Month of Ramadan, began February 18, 2026, and is practiced annually by the Muslim faithful for spiritual growth.
He stated this on Thursday when he hosted the Muslim community in the state to a state dinner to mark the celebrations symbolising the end of the fast in Government House, Yenagoa.
Represented by his Deputy, Dr. Peter Akpe, he urged Muslims to demonstrate love to both God and man, forgiveness, exhibit peaceful conduct and compassion, which he noted were the cardinal teachings of Islam.
He said as the Muslim faithfuls gather for prayers and other activities, they should reflect and appraise their conduct, particularly in peace-building, because in the absence of peace there would be no meaningful development.
Diri congratulated the Muslims on their successful completion of this year’s Ramadan fasting and urged them to uphold the virtues of love, peace and sacrifice for the common good as espoused by Prophet Mohammed.
“On behalf of the Governor, His Excellency Governor Douye Diri, l want to thank you for all you have been doing in terms of promoting peaceful coexistence in the state. But we want you to have the conviction and acknowledge that it is time to demonstrate actionable peace.
“Bayelsa State has been adjudged the most peaceful state in the country and so we want our Muslim community in the state to do more in exuding love and peaceful conduct in order for Bayelsa to consolidate that position through your contributions.
“We want you to reflect on the importance of peace because without peace, there can be no development; people will live in fear and your purpose cannot be achieved.
“Endeavour to make peace within and outside your religion in all you do. This government does not segregate”, he said.
Responding to their requests, including a state secretariat and an 18-seater bus to the Muslim family in the state, Senator Diri assured that government would address them within limits of available resources.
Also speaking, the Special Adviser to the Governor on Religious Matters,  Rev. Godspower Asingba, explained that the Ramadan fast was one of the significant events in the calendar of the Muslim faith for spiritual revival.
He said the state government had been supportive of the Muslim community in the state, noting that at the commencement of the Ramadan fast, the Prosperity Government provided food items and financial support.
In his address, Acting Vice President-General, Bayelsa State Council for Islamic Affairs,  Alhaji Yahaya Okee, expressed appreciation to God for giving the Muslim community in the state the privilege to witness and participate in this year’s Ramadan fast.
Alhaji Okee noted that the celebration of the Eid-El-Fitri marked the end of Ramadan fast which symbolised spiritual growth, a time for reconciliation, show of gratitude to God as well as the Governor Douye Diri-led administration for its support and leadership.
He also praised the Prosperity Government, stating that the Muslim family in the state were appreciative of the massive support given them, particularly the provision of food items and cash gifts during their festive periods.
The Muslim cleric appealed to the state government to rehabilitate their secretariat in the state.
By Ariwera Ibibo-Howells, Yenagoa
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

850-bed UCTH overstretched, services 5m patients – CMD

Published

on

The Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital (UCTH), Prof. Ikpeme Ikpeme, has said the 850-bed hospital is overstretched, as it currently serves over five million patients.
He disclosed this on Friday during a media tour of the facility to showcase ongoing renovations and facelift in the hospital.
The CMD noted that, aside being the only tertiary healthcare facility servicing the state, UCTH also serviced neighbouring states of Akwa Ibom and Ebonyi.
He said the hospital also received referrals from neighbouring countries, including Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and Central African Republic.
According to him, the 850-bed hospital faced persistent space constraints because of increasing patients inflow and expanding healthcare demands.
“This hospital currently operates 62 clinical and non-clinical departments as well as  between 30 and 38 wards covering medical, surgical, paediatric, orthopaedic and specialised services.
“Most wards have undergone facelift, remodelling, or complete renovation to improve patient care and working conditions for healthcare professionals”, he said.
He disclosed that the hospital was constructing a new 106-bed emergency medicine facility to address the rising demand for healthcare services.
According to him, the facility will include trauma bays, intensive care units, neonatal wards, and three fully equipped trauma theatres.
Speaking on the remodeled wards, Ikpeme explained that they followed modern nursing principles, allowing one nurse to attend to a maximum of 10 patients.
He said relatives would be restricted to designated waiting areas to reduce interference with medical procedures and improve emergency response efficiency.
The CMD noted that the hospital had strengthened specialist services in orthopaedics, neurosurgery, obstetrics, radiology, and minimally invasive surgery.
“UCTH now performs hip and knee replacements, arthroscopy, sports medicine, and complex brain tumour surgeries.
“Our surgeons also conduct keyhole procedures for appendectomy, hysterectomy and other conditions with faster patient recovery periods,” he said
In power, the CMD said the hospital relied on solar power from a seven-megawatt plant, constructed by the Federal Government at the University of Calabar, as well as public power supply, and generators to sustain its operations.
He appealed to governments, organisations, and philanthropists to support infrastructure expansion, equipment procurement, and specialised healthcare projects.
The CMD said the hospital required additional incubators, ward expansions, and a stand-alone amenity facility for private healthcare services.
He used the opportunity to dismiss allegations of ethnic discrimination, insisting that the hospital does not reject workers or patients based on tribe or origin.
According to him, the institution recently honoured an Igbo pioneer physician by naming a ward after him in recognition of decades of service.
The CMD said the hospital maintained strict disciplinary procedures to address negligence, poor attitude, and unethical conduct among staff.
The Tide’s source reports that some of the units visited include, intensive care unit, Department of Radiology, Urology Clinic, and Opthalmology Clinic.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Police Burst Child Trafficking Syndicate In A’Ibom … Nab 3 Suspects

Published

on

The Police Command in Akwa Ibom State says it has busted a child trafficking syndicate and arrested three suspects for conspiracy and unlawful sale of a newborn baby in the State.
The State’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Timfom John, who disclosed this in a statement in Uyo on Friday, said the three female suspects were arrested on Wednesday at about 1900hrs.
She said a complainant reported that his wife gave birth to a baby boy on May 7 and shockingly, shortly after delivery sold the newborn child to one of the suspects for N145, 000.
“Upon receipt of the report, operatives immediately swung into action, leading to the arrest of the suspects and the successful recovery of the baby boy.
“The suspects reportedly confessed to the crime during interrogation, while investigation has been expanded to identify and apprehend all individuals connected to the trafficking syndicate”, John said.
She said the State’s Commissioner of Police, Baba Azare, reiterated the Command’s commitment to sustaining aggressive intelligence-led policing in the state.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

A’Ibom Launches Operation Crack Down Scrap Dealers 

Published

on

The Akwa-Ibom State Government has launched a statewide crackdown on unregistered scrap dealers and scavengers, shutting down illegal operations and arresting operators accused of violating environmental and public safety regulations.
The enforcement operation, led by the Akwa Ibom State Environmental Protection and Waste Management Agency (AKSEPWMA), followed the implementation of the state’s Waste Metal Scrap Law 2026, officials said.
AKSEPWMA Chairman, Obong Prince Ikim, said the exercise was aimed at regulating the scrap sector, protect the environment, and prevent criminal groups from operating under the guise of waste collection and metal trading.
“If you want to do scrap business, you must register,” Mr. Ikim said during the operation in Uyo, the state capital.
“Many people now hide under scrap trading to perpetrate nefarious activities”, he said.
According to him, dump site operators and scrap dealers who failed to register with the government risked closure and prosecution.
Authorities accused some operators of involvement in vandalism of public infrastructure and indiscriminate waste disposal, adding that investigations had uncovered criminal activities linked to several dump sites across the state.
“Some people vandalise government facilities in the name of scrap business and encourage indiscriminate dumping of refuse,” Mr. Ikim said.
He added that the state government and security agencies would continue efforts to enforce compliance and maintain public order.
“The Commissioner of Police has zero tolerance for criminality, and the Governor wants Akwa Ibom people to sleep with their eyes closed. We will fish out every defaulter”, he said.
Police officials involved in the operation said investigations showed that some criminal suspects used scrap yards and refuse dump sites as cover for illegal activities.
CSP Okwuzulike Vincent of the Itam Police Station said some suspects pretended to be mentally unstable while hiding ammunition and other suspicious items in makeshift shelters around dump locations.
The police officer praised the environmental agency for what he described as proactive efforts to sanitise the sector and pledged continued cooperation between law enforcement and the agency.
Officials said some first-time offenders arrested during the operation were released after profiling and signing undertakings, while repeat offenders would face prosecution.
Continue Reading

Trending