Connect with us

News

Terrorism: Military Set To Prosecute 886 B’Haram Fighters … Rescue 180 Chibok Girls As Over 82, 237 Surrender In 15 Months

Published

on

The Nigerian military said it has concluded arrangement to prosecute over 886, radical fighters of the Boko Haram terrorists group as the counter insurgency war has continued to yield very positive result in its renewed operations to wipe out terrorism in the country.
This is just as another 323, terrorists ex-combatants who willingly give up their arms to embrace peace are currently undergoing the Federal government program on De-Radicalisation, Demobilisation and Rehabilitation (DDR), in Gombe State.
Theatre Commander, North East Joint Operation, HADIN KAI, Major General Christopher Musa, who made this known, said over 82, 237 terrorist’s and their families have so far surrendered to troops in various locations in the north east since July, 2021.
Musa, who described the 886 detained Boko Haram terrorists as “hardened”, said arrangements have been concluded to transfer them to Giwa Project at Kainji, in Niger State, for prosecution.
He also said total 180 out of the 276, kidnapped Chibok school girls in 2014, have been rescued while 96 of the girls are still unaccounted for, adding that soldiers have so far rescued 2,018 abducted persons, comprising 339 adult males, 660 adult females and 1,019 children in last one the year.
Theatre commander spoke through the Acting Theatre Intelligence Coordinator, Colonel Obinna Azuike, while briefing journalists on the successes so far recorded in the ongoing counter insurgency operations.
He said a total of 1,893, terrorists are currently being detained at the Giwa Centre.
According to him, “Out of the surrendered persons, 16,577 were active male fighters, 24,499 are women, while 41,161 are children.
He said so far over 2,018 abducted persons, comprising 339 adult males, 660 adult females and 1,019 children have been rescued by troops in last one the year.
He said, “Information obtained from detailed debriefings of the surrendered terrorists are being continually factored into the operations of the theatre. Such debriefings are routinely undertaken as more fighters continue to surrender in their numbers.
“Also, the commencement of a comprehensive Disarmament, De-radicalisation, Rehabilitation and Reintegration programme by the Borno State Government, in conjunction with International Organisations and Op Safe Corridor, will positively encourage the surrender of more persons and will be a catalyst to the ongoing peace process.”
Giving an update of the number of the kidnapped school girls from Government Secondary School,Chibok, so far rescued by soldiers, the theatre commander said: “Troops of OPHK have within this year alone, rescued 11 of the abducted 2014 GGSS,Chibok girls. The first of the girls, Hauwa Joseph, was intercepted along with her child at Ngazua in Bama on June 12, 20 22 by troops of OPHK.
“Secondly, Miss Mary Dauda was rescued along with her child at Gava in Gwoza LGA of Borno State on June 14, 2022, by own troops.
“Similarly, on June 27, 20 22, the third Chibok girl, named Ruth Bitrus, and her child escaped from Ukuba BHT camp in Sambisa and was rescued by own troops in Bama.
Continuing, Musa, said “On July 25, 2022, troops also rescued two Chibok girls, named Kauna Luka, and Hanatu Musa with their children at Aulari in Bama general area.
“Also, the sixth Chibok girl, named Aisha Grema (pregnant) with her four year-old child, was rescued by troops in Bama on August 12, 20 22. Aisha Grema hails from Mbalala village in Chibok LGA.
“The seventh Chibok girl to be rescued this year was FalmataLawal and her child who was rescued by own troops in Bama general area on August 30, 2022. Miss FalmataLawal hails from Chigi village in Chibok LGA.
He said, “On September 1, 2022, troops also rescued Miss Asabe Ali and her child who escaped from a BHT camp in Gazuwa, Bama LGSA.
“Also, the ninth Chibok girl rescued was Miss Jinkai Yama along with three of her children in Bama on September 2, 2022.
“Additionally, Miss Yana Pogu was the tenth girl rescued along with her four children, while Miss Rejoice Senki was rescued with her two children”.
He said “The rescued girls were handed over to the Borno State Government after comprehensive medical examination and initial provision of psycho-social support from the theatre.
“The statistics of the 276 abducted Chibokschool girls indicates that 57 girls escaped in 2014, 107 girls released in 2018; three recovered in 2019; two recovered in 2021 and 11 girls rescued so far in 2022.”
He said “This brings to a total 180 Chibok girls out of captivity, remaining 96 girls still unaccounted for. At present, over 2,018 persons, comprising 339 adult males, 660 adult females and 1,019 children have been rescued from terrorists’ captivity within the year.
“The Theatre Command OPHK will continue in its quest to rescue other persons held in captivity.
“Additionally, the centre is currently partnering with the Lake Chad Basin Support Programme to establish a database for the preservation of battlefield evidence, forensic investigations, and capacity building for personnel.
“This would address the inherent challenges associated with the prosecution of suspected terrorists. Also, the centre has introduced basic education and skill acquisition programmes for minors and adult detainees in a bid to keep them engaged, useful and valued.
“Physical training exercises and the ability to re-establish and restore family links with their loved ones is also being conducted in the centre, in conjunction with the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC).
“These developments have yielded very positive results among the suspects and equally attracted commendations from other partnering organisations.”
Speaking on the humanitarian conditions at the holding centres, he said, “The current humanitarian situation across the holding centres has remained relatively calm since the cholera outbreak of September this year.
“The epidemic resulted in the death of 62 men, 44 women and 96 children, bringing to a total of 202 deaths.
“Nevertheless, the situation has since been brought under control, with efforts from the state Ministry of Health and several NGOs in the state”.

Continue Reading

News

Rivers DPOs Receive Awards For Outstanding Performance In Crime Prevention …As Students, Media Group Honour CSP Worgu, CSP Yusuf

Published

on

Two Divisional Police Officers (DPOs) in Rivers State have been honoured by separate groups for their contributions to security, crime prevention and improved community-police relations in their respective areas of responsibility.

The beneficiaries are the DPO of Afam Police Division, CSP  Endurance Worgu and his counterpart at Oyigbo Police Division, CSP Bello Yusuf.

CSP Worgu was honoured by a group of students under the aegis of Rivers State Graduate Students Associations for what they described as his commitment and outstanding performance in the discharge of his duties.

The students, led by  Chidi John Enyie, Esq. said CSP Worgu was selected based on his track record and status as one of the longest-serving young DPOs of Rivers State origin.

According to the group, CSP Worgu has made significant contributions to the protection of lives and property in the area since assuming office following the #EndSARS period.

The students said they were particularly impressed by the improvement in community-police relations under his leadership, noting that professionalism had remained a key feature of his service.

Enyie represented by Comrade Briggs Soku, said the students community was pleased to identify with a Rivers indigene who had distinguished himself in the police force.

He said the students considered it necessary to encourage and celebrate CSP Worgu because of his achievements as a young Rivers man excelling in a profession that many people from the state were often reluctant to join.

Receiving the award at his office in Afam, CSP Worgu expressed gratitude to God and the students for finding him worthy of the honour.

The DPO said the recognition had boosted his morale and encouraged him to sustain his efforts towards maintaining peace and security in the area.

He said he least expected the honour, particularly because it came from the students, adding that the recognition would further motivate him to serve the people better.

CSP Worgu assured residents of Afam that the police would sustain the existing peace in the area.

He appealed to members of the public to support the police by providing credible and timely information, stressing that useful information from residents would make the job of security personnel easier.

Meanwhile, the Ikwerre/Etche Media Association has also honoured the DPO of Oyigbo Police Division, CSP Bello Yusuf, for his efforts in tackling criminal activities in the area.

The media group presented the award following the swift tracking and arrest of five suspected kidnappers who had allegedly terrorised residents of the Kom-Kom axis and other parts of Oyigbo.

The group commended CSP Bello for what it described as his determined efforts to restore confidence and security in the affected communities, particularly Kom-Kom and Obeama.

According to the group, the arrest of the suspects demonstrated the DPO’s commitment to tackling criminality and safeguarding residents.

The media association said residents had received the development with relief, noting that the police action had sent a strong message to criminal elements operating in the area.

Responding, CSP Yusuf appreciated the group for the recognition and reaffirmed that there would be no room for criminality in Oyigbo.

He also commended the media for its role in disseminating credible information to the public, saying the media had remained supportive of the police in the fight against crime.

CSP Yusuf warned criminal elements operating in Oyigbo to leave the area or be prepared to face the full weight of the law.

He assured residents that the police would continue to pursue criminals and work to dismantle their hideouts, regardless of where they might be operating.

Continue Reading

News

College Of Bishops Endorses Tinubu, APC Candidates  For 2027 Polls

Published

on

The 5000 Achievers Christian Forum and Colleges of Bishops, Archbishops and Apostles, a Christian interdenominational organisation, has endorsed President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and all candidates of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Rivers State for the 2027 general elections.

International President of the forum, Archbishop Lucky Aroh, disclosed this during the ordination and consecration of three new Bishops, as well as an award ceremony held in Port Harcourt.

Aroh said the performance of the APC-led Federal Government had endeared the party to the organisation, prompting the forum to declare its support for President Tinubu and other APC candidates in Rivers State.

He said the forum would support all APC candidates in the state during the 2027 elections and urged Nigerians to vote for the party.

Aroh, who is also the General Overseer of Caring Peoples Church, Port Harcourt, charged the newly consecrated Bishops to see their new positions as a great responsibility and dedicate themselves to the advancement of the kingdom of God.

He cautioned them against conduct capable of bringing their offices into disrepute, stressing that their activities would be closely watched by members of the public.

“As Bishops, the eyes of the public are on your activities. You must therefore conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of your calling,” he said.

Also speaking, the International Coordinator of the forum, Bishop Saint Robinson, urged the newly consecrated Bishops to work diligently towards winning souls for the kingdom of God.

Robinson, who was the guest speaker at the event, stressed that the activities of Bishops must at all times be guided by godly principles.

He also called on members of the church to support and cooperate with the newly consecrated Bishops in the discharge of their responsibilities.

The Secretary of the College, Apostle Elizabeth Ayadi Abaye, said the organisation was established to advance the kingdom of God and promote spiritual development.

According to her, the forum has organised several crusades, conferences, prayer meetings, ordinations, consecrations, enthronements, empowerment programmes and other spiritual development activities across the country as part of efforts to win souls for Christ.

Abaye said the organisation has members across the world and disclosed that more programmes had been scheduled to promote the spiritual development and wellbeing of humanity.

The three Bishops consecrated at the ceremony were Prince Alban Chike, Testimony Omenihu Shedrach and Prince Ifemena.

Among those honoured at the event were the Chairman of the Community Development Committee (CDC), Abali Community, Port Harcourt City Local Government Area, Manuchimso Prince Lemmy Wopara, and Clifford Oko Jaja, Coordinator of the 5,000 House-to-House for President Tinubu.

By: John Bibor

Continue Reading

News

Police Arrest Fake Soldier, Others For Armed Robbery, Kidnapping

Published

on

The Rivers State Police Command has arrested a 49-year-old suspected fake soldier, Andrew Atausi, and several other suspects in connection with various criminal activities, including kidnapping, armed robbery, cultism, one-chance robbery and the alleged murder of police officers.

The State Commissioner of Police, CP Olugbenga Adepoju, disclosed this in Port Harcourt, recently during a press briefing at the Command Headquarters, where he said the arrests formed part of the operational achievements recorded by the Command between June and August 2026.

Adepoju said Atausi was arrested on August 10 by police operatives along Ada George, Port Harcourt, while dressed in military uniform and driving a Toyota Hilux painted in Army colours.

The Commissioner said investigation revealed that Atausi was not a member of the Armed Forces, adding that he was suspected to be a serial car snatcher, with three suspected stolen vehicles recovered from him.

He said the recovered vehicles included three Toyota Hilux vehicles without registration numbers and a Toyota Corona Premio with registration number BNY 380 ES, noting that the chassis and engine numbers of the vehicles had allegedly been tampered with.

Adepoju added that an axe and military accoutrements were also recovered from Atausi, as investigation continued into the circumstances surrounding the vehicles and other items recovered from him.

On the June 29 attack on police officers at Aluu Division, the Commissioner said three members of the gang allegedly responsible for the incident had been arrested by operatives of the Violent Crime Response Unit, VCRU-AKU.

The suspects, identified as Maduabuchi Emeka, 34, alleged gang leader; Doctor Chinedu Owhor, 42, and Kamachi Joe, 28, alleged armourer, reportedly led operatives to their hideout at Omagwa where two AK-47 rifles stolen during the attack were recovered.

Adepoju recalled that two police officers were killed during the Aluu attack, while others were wounded and one officer had his leg amputated, stressing that efforts were ongoing to apprehend the fourth suspect.

On kidnapping, the Commissioner said five members of a suspected kidnapping syndicate were arrested in Oyigbo Local Government Area, adding that they allegedly confessed to operations in Kom-Kom, Railway, Obeama and Afam communities.

He said two other suspects from the same network, Anele Ogbogu, 35, alleged to be the gang’s armourer, and Kenneth Eke, 38, were arrested on July 27, with one AK-47 rifle and one SMG rifle recovered.

The Commissioner further disclosed the arrest of suspects in connection with alleged firearm offences, armed robbery, cultism and one-chance robbery, with firearms, ammunition and other exhibits recovered during the operations.

Adepoju assured residents that the Command would sustain intelligence-led, proactive and community-oriented policing in collaboration with other security agencies, while urging members of the public to continue providing credible information that would assist the police in combating crime across Rivers State.

By; King Onunwor

Continue Reading

Trending