News
Atiku’s Comments: PDP Owes Nigerians Apology -Wike …Says Ayu Didn’t Inform NWC, Govs, About N1.1bn He Received
Rivers State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike, has expressed mixed feelings over comments credited to the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, that what the North needs was a northerner, not an Igbo or Yoruba person as next president of Nigeria.
Such statement, if true, Wike said, was a threat to the unity of Nigeria at a time when efforts should be concerted in giving every Nigerian a sense of belonging.
Wike spoke, last Monday at the international wing of the Port Harcourt International Airport, Omagwa in Ikwerre Local Government Area of Rivers State, shortly on arrival from Spain.
The governor was accompanied by his counterparts: Engr Seyi Makinde (Oyo);Dr Okezie Ikpeazu (Abia); and Samuel Ortom (Benue).
He said, “I don’t believe that my candidate for the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) could make such statement. But assuming he did make that statement, and this is one of the things we have been saying, this country needs to be united and part of the way you unite it is to include everybody.”
Wike expressed his stance against anything that relegates any section of Nigeria and treats them as second fiddles.
The Rivers State governor was of the thinking that the handlers of Atiku should also share in the blame for allowing their principal make such comment in public which was capable of heightening tension and deepening the feeling of alienation among Nigerians.
“That has now confirmed to me one of the reasons why those of them in their camp, do not want Ayu to resign because they do not want inclusivity.
“I don’t know how those who are packaging the presidential candidate will allow him to make such statement. I was reading where somebody was saying that it was a direct response to a question he was asked.”
Given that the statement is now in the public domain, Wike advised the leadership of PDP to tender apology to Nigerians while explaining the circumstances in which the statement was made.
“Be that as it may, I don’t think that it was necessary at this time, as people who are going in for election, as people who want Nigerians to trust them to have allowed such a statement to be made.
“If it (statement) was made, as they said, I think, as a party, we need to apologise to Nigerians, assuming the (statement) was made.
“People are denying that it was made but if you watch the video, it appears true but people are saying with recent technology, anything can be done.
“This requires further explanation by our party, because Nigerians, as it is today, we can’t go this way if we want this country to remain as the way our finding father’s struggled, laboured, and toiled all the night to see that there is a country called Nigeria.”
Speaking further, Wike took a swipe at the PDP national chairman, Senator Iyorciha Ayu, saying going by his responses to the allegations levelled against him, he stands indicted except proven otherwise.
“Luckily for me, he (Ayu) has now mentioned that he went to the presidential candidate, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, the Waziri of Adamawa, where they discussed on the issues of borrowing.
“Now, the question is: when you talk about borrowing, who approves borrowing? You must go to the National Working Committee (NWC) to say you want to borrow money.
“I challenge him to bring the records where NWC approved that the party should go and borrow N1billion. What is the collateral?”
Wike explained that in matters of funding the party, the governors had been up to that responsibility dutifully.
According to him, it was, therefore, unthinkable that the national chairman would, in the guise of seeking funding for the party, opt to collect loan on behalf of the party without notifying the NWC and governors.
“Be sincere, how can you talk of N1billion loan without the NWC mooting the idea, without the governors knowing. Then you talk about the N100million he said he told the Board of Trustees (BOT).
“If any governor gives you N100million in order to rebuild one of the structures of the party, the Democratic Institute, let him show the minutes of the NWC where he said a governor has contributed N100million. Let him show the account to reflect this N100million.
“Let him also say that the N100million was in Naira or in Dollars. He said he gave it to the treasurer. I thought he would have told the world that NWC was aware”.
Wike stated for emphasis that his allegations against Ayu were categorical and it was expected that his responses should address each of the issues separately.
“In fact, the normal thing is that when once any governor or any party person has donated money to the party, you will go and tell NWC that so and so person has donated money. Let him (Ayu) show us the account where this money was paid into.
“Coming out to do a general denial is not denial. You (Ayu) must deny specifically to the allegations that were made.”
Wike also wants Ayu to mention names of those he has contacted to handle the rehabilitation works going on at the PDP Democratic Institute and at the National Secretariat, Wadata Plaza, Wuse Zone in Abuja.
“Ask him, the contracts that are going on in this Democratic Institute and that of Wadata, who is doing that contract, is it not one of his sons?
“As a party, we believe that Nigerians must trust us. We must show leadership and part of that leadership is integrity. You don’t just come and deceive Nigerians that you did not collect N1billion.
“So, let Ayu come out and tell us, tell the PDP people and tell the public that this matter was discussed in NWC.”
Wike also described as out of order the PDP Board of Trustees resolution that mandated Ayu to make commitment that he would resign after the 2023 elections.
The governor wondered why the BOT could not make Ayu to fulfil his initial commitment that he would resign if a northerner emerges as presidential candidate from the PDP convention.
“To say he should make another commitment that he will resign after the elections, for me, BOT resolution is ridiculous.”
News
Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures
President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.
The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.
He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.
Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.
“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.
“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.
The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.
Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.
He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.
“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”
The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.
The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.
Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.
News
US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day
The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.
The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.
“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.
According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.
The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.
In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.
Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.
News
Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role
United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.
Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.
The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.
“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.
The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.
Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.
The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.
In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.
“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.
Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.
He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.
Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.
-
Politics4 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Sports1 day ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Sports4 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business4 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Featured4 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports4 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
Sports4 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
-
Sports4 days ago
‘NTF Will Build On Davis Cup Success For Brighter Future’
