Connect with us

Politics

Between Edo Polls And Rivers Re-run

Published

on

For reasons that are still
debatable, Rivers State was named among the first of states that were said to be flash points of political violence in the run-up to the 2015 general elections in Nigeria. In what is now history, the polls were conducted in an atmosphere that was not any much different from what obtained in other states across the country. Little wonder therefore that the Prof. Atahiru Jega-led Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, collated and declared results in Rivers State as it did in others.
However, what INEC did not see as sufficient grounds for annulment, the Election Petition Tribunal adjudged enough grounds to cancel some results and ordered a re-run of the polls while upholding others.
Consequently, the national electoral body fixed March 19, 2016 to conduct a fresh exercise for the affected Senatorial, House of Representatives as well as state House of Assembly seats. In the run-up to the rescheduled polls, the predictions of an unfavourable atmosphere for peaceful electoral activities resurfaced. The polls were held under a different leadership at INEC. Prof. Mahmud Yakubu had been given the job of chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission while Elder Aniedi Ikoiwak had been redeployed to Rivers State as the State Resident Electoral Commissioner, REC.
As it turned out, between March 19 and March 20, 2016, the electoral umpire declared the conduct of the rescheduled elections in Rivers State inconclusive as it pronounced the exercise out rightly cancelled in some constituencies and suspended some others in other constituencies.
Whether the alibi of widespread electoral violence advanced by INEC was sufficient or not, it provided perfect excuse for the commission to wield the big stick. It was not until July, 2016 before INEC came up with another date (July 30, this time around) for the conclusion of the suspended and or cancelled polls.
As if it was not enough punishment that Rivers State and its people have been without representation in the Senate of the Federal Republic, having had only five representatives out of thirteen in the House of Representatives and as many as eleven constituencies yet to be represented in the State House of Assembly, Hajiya Amina Zakari, INEC Commissioner in charge of operations, announced in the twilight of July that the July 30 date had been reconsidered. The reason she said that in the thinking of the commission the security situation in Rivers State was not conducive enough for them and that they couldn’t consider any other date close to September 10, 2016 when the Edo State Governorship election had been fixed.
According to Mrs Zakari, the suspended and or canceled rescheduled re-run legislative elections in Rivers State may be held only in the closing days of October, 2016. She said that the focus and the concentration of the commission at the time was on the Edo governorship polls.
That the much focused and prioritized Edo polls did not hold on the appointed date because INEC postponed it only about 72 hours to the time is no longer news. What has however remained controversial and continued to agitate the minds of many keen observers is the circumstances surrounding that decision.
Prior to that final decision the police and the department of State Services, DSS, jointly issued a warning to INEC to shift the set election date because of terror alert involving a number of states including Edo during the Muslim festival of Eid-el-Kabir on the 12th and 13th of September, 2016.
“For Rivers State, there were claims of insecurity. In Edo, there were no claims of insecurity”, Orage St. Franklyn, lawyer and senior special Assistant to the Governor of Rivers State on Social Media, pointed out.
According to Barr St. Franklyn the reason of a possible terror attack adduced by the police and the DSS was only a product of a collaboration between the security agencies and the ruling party, the All Progressive Congress, APC, to show strength and thereby gain some political dividends.
For him, the fact that the police as well as INEC had mobilized and deployed men and materials into Edo for the elections did not support the claim of a veritable terror threat and that the security agencies were inadvertently indicting themselves of being unable to provide protecton for Nigeria and Nigerians.
“It’s a very disturbing issue and it’s a source of worry for a lot of us”, adding that it’s embarrassing and it’s a shame” .
The Senior aide to the Rivers State Governor said he considered the development as a strategy by the ruling APC to undermine the will of the people of Edo State and in Rivers as well.
“Insecurity is a strategy of the APC to undermine our democracy. For Rivers State it’s the same strategy. For Edo State, it’s the same strategy”, he alleged.
He averred that the claim of insecurity by the security agencies and INEC was exaggerated in order to deny the people their legitimate stake in the polity and urged INEC to quickly put its house in order so as not to jeopardize the future of the country.
“Even in Rivers State, what are the security issues that will be the reason why a state will be denied its stake in the federation”, he queried, adding that the Senate of the Federal Republic may be argued to be improperly constituted since there was no single member from Rivers State contrary to the provision of the constitution setting up the upper legislative chamber.
“What is happening is actually a shock and it’s taking very many of us by surprise”, Comrade Christian Lekia, President, Niger Delta Coalition Against Violence and spokesman of the Civil Society Platform in Rivers State, said.
According to Comrade Lekia, the circumstances surrounding the election postponement were unnecessary and uncalled for since the state does not rank high among states with a violent political out look in the country and the Niger Delta region in the current dispensation.
While he admonished the major political actors in that state to do everything in their power to reject any thing associated with political violence, he tasked the Independent National Electoral Commission to come out clean and discharge its duties conscientiously.
“As an organization, INEC ought to have put everything in place. They’re an agency of the Federal Government that is in control of security and I don’t really see any justification for that postponement”, he said.
“Agencies and institutions of the Federal Government who ordinarinly should have played whatever role in the conduct of whatever election should submit in terms of support to INEC”, he said but advised the commission not to “conduct itself in a manner that will make it look as if there’s a conspiracy between one political party and the commission”.
He said even though the situation in both Rivers and Edo States were not exactly the same, INEC had not discharged itself well in both cases.
“INEC must do everything to end this shame game”, he emphasized, adding that “No reason was reasonable enough for INEC not to conduct the remaining re-run (legislative elections in Rivers State)”.
He said that the people of Rives State are ready to have the re-run election in October and urged electoral commission to live up to its constitutional responsibility and to justify its continued existence and funding from tax payer’s money.
“If democracy is people centered and there’s a set of people that are deprived of making their contribution because they’re without representation in the legislative chambers, as sensitive as it is, it will not be in the interest of this democracy at all”, he noted and strongly advised the leadership of INEC to either deliver on their mandate or resign their positions.”If this INEC cannot conduct election, they should resign. If they can conduct election, they should prove to Nigerians that they’re reedy to work”, he said and threw the same challenge to the security agencies.
“This is one moment of need for those in the police, the Department of State Services and other security agencies that need to collaborate to ensure that the tide of insecurity is stemmed and things like elections are conducted”, he reiterated.

 

Opaka Dokubo

Continue Reading

Politics

INEC Extends Candidate Submission Deadline Till ‘Morow

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has extended the deadline for political parties to submit the list of candidates for the 2027 governorship and state Houses of Assembly elections from Saturday, August 8, to Tuesday, August 11, 2026.

The commission announced the extension in a statement issued on Saturday and signed by the National Commissioner and Chairman of its Information and Voter Education Committee, Mohammed Haruna.

According to INEC, the decision followed appeals by political parties for additional time to complete the submission process through the dedicated online portal.

“The submission window, which according to the revised Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the General Election was originally scheduled to close on Saturday, 8th August, 2026, has been extended to Tuesday, 11th August, 2026,” the commission said.

In a a related development, INEC announced the suspension of PVC collection in Osun State ahead of the August 15 governorship election.

The commission said voters who applied for replacement of lost, damaged or defaced Permanent Voter Cards would have until midnight on Sunday, August 9, to print downloadable copies of their cards.

The electoral body explained that the deadline was necessary to enable it compile data on downloaded PVCs and produce final statistics on the total number of cards collected ahead of the election.

INEC said PVC collection in Osun commenced at the Registration Area level from July 22 to 28, 2026, but was extended to July 31 following complaints about large crowds and difficulties experienced by voters at collection centres.

The exercise subsequently moved to the local government level and ran from August 1 to 7.

The commission also disclosed that replacement downloadable PVCs had been made available to voters in Odo-Otin and Ife Central Local Government Areas following the theft of cards during attacks on the two collection centres.

It stressed that the stolen cards could not be used to vote.

INEC reassured Osun residents of its preparedness for the August 15 governorship election.

“The commission reiterates that the stolen cards cannot be used to vote.

“INEC reassures the people of Osun State of its readiness to conduct a free, fair, credible and inclusive governorship election on 15th August, 2026,” the statement said.

 

 

Continue Reading

Politics

2027: INEC Extends Submission Deadline For Assembly, Guber Candidates 

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has given political parties three extra days to complete the submission of candidates for the February 2027 Governorship and State Houses of Assembly elections.

The commission said the deadline, initially set for Saturday, 8 August, has been extended to Tuesday, 11 August 2026, following appeals from political parties for more time.

INEC also announced that the window for voters who applied to replace lost, damaged or defaced PVCs to download their replacement cards will close at midnight on Sunday, 9 August.

The move is to enable the commission compile final PVC collection figures ahead of the 15 August Osun governorship election.

INEC said replacement downloadable PVCs have also been provided to affected voters in Odo-Otin and Ife Central Local Government Areas after hoodlums carted away cards from two collection centres, stressing that the stolen cards cannot be used to vote.

The commission reaffirmed its readiness to conduct a free, fair, credible and inclusive election in Osun State.

 

Continue Reading

Politics

Yilwatda’s Birthday Outreach Demonstrates Leadership – Kefas

Published

on

The Taraba State Governor, Agbu Kefas, has described the medical outreach organised by the National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda, as a powerful demonstration of leadership and compassion.

Gov. Kefas made the remarks over the weekend at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Jalingo, during the flag-off of the second phase of the Renewed Hope Medical Outreach in Taraba State, organised as part of activities marking Prof. Yilwatda’s 58th birthday.

The governor commended Prof. Yilwatda for choosing to mark his birthday by providing medical care to people in need.

“What Professor Nentawe did is a powerful demonstration of what leadership should be,” Gov. Kefas said.

He assured that his administration would continue to support initiatives that complement government efforts to improve healthcare delivery and the wellbeing of residents.

Speaking at the event, Prof. Yilwatda called on Nigerian leaders to embrace the culture of giving and use their positions to touch the lives of the less privileged.

He said his decision to celebrate his 58th birthday in Taraba State was deliberate and informed by the needs of underserved communities, particularly people who face difficulties accessing healthcare because of distance and financial constraints.

According to him, the intervention followed a needs assessment and was extended across the three senatorial districts of the state.

He said the exercise commenced on August 3 at Takum General Hospital and covered the Federal University Teaching Hospital, Wukari; First Referral Hospital, Sunkani, Ardo-Kola Local Government Area; General Hospital, Bali; General Hospital, Gembu; and FMC Jalingo.

Prof. Yilwatda said the intervention provided medical services to thousands of beneficiaries, including people who required surgical procedures.

He said sustainable national development could only be achieved when strong institutions placed Nigerians at the centre of development.

“Leadership is about service,” he said, urging political and public leaders to make giving back to society an important part of their responsibilities.

He reaffirmed his commitment to serving Nigeria and its people, saying his personal vision was to make every day of his life useful to humanity.

“Every day that I live, the vision is: let it be useful to humanity,” he said.

The Taraba State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Bordiya Buma, commended the initiative, saying it was consistent with the Renewed Hope agenda and efforts to strengthen healthcare delivery in the state.

Dr Buma said the second phase followed the successful completion of the first phase, which was conducted simultaneously in six local government areas, with two LGAs selected from each of the three senatorial districts.

According to him, more than 10,000 patients were attended to during the first phase, including people with medical and surgical conditions.

He disclosed that 327 general surgeries, 71 eye surgeries and 575 dental procedures were carried out during the exercise.

The commissioner expressed appreciation to President Bola Tinubu for the Renewed Hope Medical Outreach and thanked Prof. Yilwatda for supporting the initiative and choosing Taraba State as a beneficiary.

The Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Prof. Muhammad Ali Pate, also commended Prof. Yilwatda for choosing Taraba State to mark his 58th birthday through a medical outreach.

Prof. Pate said making healthcare the centrepiece of the birthday celebration was significant because health affects everyone.

 

Continue Reading

Trending