Business
Stakeholders Hail Sack Of NNPC Board

L-R: National President, National Association of Government Approved Freight Forwarders (NAGAFF), Chief Eugene Nweke, representative of the Comptroller-General, Nigeria Customs Service, Mr Victor Gbemudu and Country Director, Deutsche Gesell Schaft Für Internationale Zusammenarbeit, Mr Christian Widmann, at the launch of implementation of the ECOWAS Common External Tariff in Lagos, last Tuesday.
The sacking of the board of the Nigeria National petroleum Company (NNPC, last Friday by the Federal Government has been viewed by stakeholders in the oil and gas sector as a welcome development.
The Executive Director, Nedal Oil and Gas Company Limited, Prince Emma Ogba said in an interview on Saturday with The Tide in Port Harcourt that, “what the Federal Government did was the position of well-meaning Nigerians.
NNPC under the watch of the board stinks from all the horrible stories I have been reading in the dailies. The company controls the wealth of the nation but the board never demonstrated either business ingenuity or sense of responsibility what president Muhammadu Buhari did was the right step in the right direction”.
Ogba said the sack order should be followed by probe to know how far they were involved in the many alleged fraud in NNPC.
The National Vice President, Oil and Gas of the Nigerian Association of Chambers of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture (NACCIMA), Mr. Billy Harry also lauded the sack, saying the board has run the national economy down.
He accused the board of incompetence, stressing that the board had over the years demonstrated that they were not out to serve the country.
Harry advised the Federal Government to consider tested and proven Nigerians who would show love and care to the interest of Nigerians when appointing or constituting new board members of NNPC.
“If the President dissolves the board, it is a very good thing and it should be done with the mindset to put people on board who should serve Nigeria for the benefit of Nigerians”, Harry said.
In his own reaction, a business consultant, Chief Henry Odinta also told The Tide that Buhari’s sack order has renewed in Nigerians the sense of belonging.
“it has always been stories of one fraud allegation or the other and upon this, the former President never wielded the big stick as expected of him.
Nigerians are suffering because of such presidential inactions that had been the case of the nation for past years. I commend Buhari for the action he took”, said Odinta, Managing Director, HOD Consult Nigeria Limited.
It would be recalled that President Buhari, last Friday, commenced a purge of the rot in NNPC by sacking the 10-member board which was headed by the immediate past Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs Diezani Alison-Madueke.
The sack order was signed by the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation (HOS), Mr. Danladi Kifasi.
Members of the board include, current GMD of NNPC, Dr. Joseph Dawha, Permanent Secretary of Federal Ministry of Fiancée, Mrs. Anastasta Daniel-Nwaobia, NNPC’s Group Executive Director in charge of Finance and Accounts, Mr. Bernald Otti, a former NNPC Group Executive Director in charge of Corporate Services, Dr. Peter Nnadu.
Others are a former Head of Service of the Federation, Mr. Steven Oronsaye, Current Co-ordinator, Legal Services/Secretary to NNPC, Mr. Ikechukwu Oguine, Prof. Olusegun Okunnu, Dr. Danladi Wadzani and Alhaji Abubakar Bukar.
Chris Oluoh
Business
RIVERS NUJ BACKS BONNY TOURISM, TASKS MEDIA ON DEVELOPMENT REPORTING
Business
Jonathan, Diri, Others Laud Firm’s Milestone in Bayelsa …Says Project Will Drive Industrialisation, Create Jobs
Business
AKG To Purchase More Aircraft —-Targets 10 Fleets this Year
-
News2 days agoRSG Targets Nine Million Residents in Mosquito Net Distribution Campaign
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoAiyedatiwa Signs New Electricity Bill
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoNLNG Commissions Research And Innovation Centre In RSU
-
Maritime2 days agoMarine Minister Commends President Tinubu On NPERA Bill Assent
-
News2 days agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News2 days agoRSG Begins Another Phase of Projects Commissioning Today
-
News2 days agoRMAFC Completes Revenue Sharing Review, Proposes New Pay
-
Maritime2 days agoNAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged Maritime Police Harassment
