News
NCDC Allays Fears Over COVID-19 XEC Variant
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) yesterday allayed fears over the newly detected COVID-19 XEC variant reportedly in circulation in Australia.
The NCDC, in a statement, yesterday, noted that the National COVID-19 Technical Working Group continues to monitor and conduct analyses of surveillance data both internationally and across the country to guide public health response activities.
It also said in line with the emergency preparedness and response strategy, it has continuously upgraded and updated the strategies and capabilities for a quick and effective response; and a dynamic risk assessment/readiness assessment is being organised to guide in developing a plan of action.
The Federal Government, had through the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, urged health authorities to activate heightened alert systems in response to the newly detected XEC COVID-19 variant that is rapidly spreading across the globe.
XEC is the latest in a long list of past and current COVID variants being monitored as the COVID-19 virus naturally evolves.
This directive comes after the strain, first identified in Australia, has now been confirmed in 29 countries.
This was contained in a letter dated December 5, addressed to the Committee of Chief Medical Directors and Medical Directors, by the ministry’s Permanent Secretary, Head of the Teaching Hospital Division, Dr. O.N. Anuma.
The letter read, “I am directed to inform you of a newly detected XEC COVID-19 variant which has been reported in Australia and has already spread to 29 countries globally.
“You may wish to know that this variant has shown a growth advantage over other circulating strains, raising concerns about its potential impact on public health.”
Anuma emphasised the need for vigilance and immediate action.
“Alert systems should be immediately activated throughout our hospitals for high index of suspicion in patients with COVID-like symptoms,” he stated.
The directive also highlighted the importance of collaboration and timely information-sharing among health institutions and the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare to ensure an effective response.
Medical professionals are also urged to enhance monitoring protocols and share critical data on the XEC variant.
“We request your committee to collaborate with all relevant stakeholders to share critical data regarding this strain and implement enhanced monitoring protocols.
“Timely information sharing among relevant stakeholders including the Federal Ministry of Health will be vital for effective response strategies,” he warned.
However, NCDS said there is no need for unnecessary anxiety or panic over the disease variant.
The Agency, in a statement yesterday, said, “The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention considers it necessary to make this statement to allay the fears created in the public space about the Covid-19 variant reportedly in circulation in Australia. The recent detection of the SARS-CoV-2 XEC sub-variant—a descendant of the Omicron lineage—has highlighted the ongoing evolution of the COVID-19 virus.
“For the information of our people, there are many variants of SARS-COVID-2 being monitored globally. Currently, the JN.1, classified as the Variant of Interest, is now reported in 132 countries, including the United States, India, Australia, the United Kingdom, China, New Zealand, Thailand, Canada, and Singapore, and Nigeria. A VOI is not yet deemed to pose serious risk.
“The XEC is a subvariant of JN.1 and has been designated as the Variant Under Monitoring i.e. being watched for potential concerns and not considered to pose a significant risk, and not yet meet the criteria for designation as VOI.
“There has been a reported rise in COVID-19 cases linked to the XEC variant, which has been detected
so far in 43 countries across different continents, Europe, Asia, North America, and recently in Botswana, Africa. Though the JN.1 has been reported in Nigeria since January 2024, the XEC variants, which are descendants of the Omicron lineage JN.1 are yet to be detected in Nigeria.”
NCDC noted that the JN.1 sub-variants are dominant globally and are the fastest growing among currently circulating variants of SARS-CoV-2.
It added that while the XEC subvariant has exhibited higher transmissibility as compared to other variants, it has not shown evidence of increased severity.
“The National COVID-19 Technical Working Group continues to monitor and conduct analyses of surveillance data both internationally and across the country to guide public health response activities.
“In line with our emergency preparedness and response strategy, we have continuously upgraded and updating our strategies and capabilities (surveillance, detection, stockpiling, training inclusive) for a quick and effective response. Along this line, a dynamic risk assessment / readiness assessment is being organised to guide us in developing a plan of action.
“Meanwhile, we urge all health facilities, both public and private, to increase the testing for COVID-19 on suspected patients. All positive samples are encouraged to be sent to the NCDC laboratory and other public health accredited laboratories for sequencing,” it said.
It noted that “COVID-19 remains a significant risk, particularly for the elderly, individuals with underlying chronic illnesses, those undergoing cancer treatment, organ transplant recipients, and individuals with suppressed immune systems,” it added.
The agency advised the public to continue to adhere to the basic public health safety measures and simple precautions such as maintaining good personal hygiene; covering of mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing or into a bent elbow, using an alcohol-based hand sanitiser containing at least 60 per cent alcohol if soap and water are not available; wearing masks; physical distancing; staying vigilant; getting tested; and getting vaccinated.
It encouraged healthcare workers to test patients presenting with respiratory or febrile symptoms; practice hand hygiene, use personal protective equipment, and follow hospital-based infection prevention and control measures to limit disease spread.
It also urged state governments and policy makers to promote public health campaigns to educate communities about preventive measures and the importance of seeking medical attention early.
News
Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures
President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.
The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.
He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.
Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.
“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.
“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.
The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.
Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.
He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.
“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”
The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.
The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.
Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.
News
US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day
The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.
The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.
“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.
According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.
The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.
In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.
Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.
News
Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role
United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.
Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.
The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.
“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.
The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.
Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.
The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.
In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.
“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.
Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.
He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.
Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.
-
Politics5 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Sports2 days ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Sports4 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business5 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Featured4 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports4 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
Sports4 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
-
Sports4 days ago
‘NTF Will Build On Davis Cup Success For Brighter Future’
