Connect with us

News

Bye-Election: 12 Candidates Jostle For Gbajabiamila’s Seat In Surulere

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Lagos State, says 12 candidates of different political parties will be contesting the February 3 Surulere Federal Constituency I bye-election.
The Lagos State INEC Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) Prof. Ayobami Salami, disclosed this yesterday at a Stakeholders’ meeting with the leadership of political parties, religion, and security among other stakeholders.
The Tide’s source recalls that the Surulere Federal Constituency I seat became vacant due to the resignation of the former occupant, Rep. Femi Gbajabiamila, who after winning, was appointed by President Bola Tinubu as his Chief of Staff.
The REC said the purpose of the meeting was to brief party leaders on the commission’s level of preparedness for the forthcoming bye-election, scheduled for February 3.
“The commission is required by law to conduct a bye-election in Surulere federal constituency 1 to fill the vacancy arising from resignation of Gbajabiamila.
“It is worthy of note to inform us that this category of election belongs to the class of bye-elections, which are also fresh elections.
“To this end, it goes without saying that political parties must conduct fresh primaries within the time frame provided by the enabling instruments to elect their candidates.
“In tandem with the provisions of the enabling instruments, the following electoral activities have been undertaken so far, to ensure not only the smooth conduct of the process but also demonstrate its fairness and transparency.
“Notice of election was given on January 4, while party primaries to elect candidates held from Jan. 5 to Jan. 9.
“List of 14 political parties were forwarded from the national headquarters to partake in the process but only 12 political parties eventually participated and have been submitted to the national headquarters for publication,” Salami said.
He listed the candidates to include: Akinyemi Da-Sliva (Accord) Kayode Jelili (Action Alliance) Collins Aigbokhaode (African Democratic Congress) Fuad Laguda (All Progressives Congress) Jonathan Ololade (All Progressives Grand Alliance) and Samuel Ekwuruke (Allied People’s Movement).
Others are: Yinusa Adisa (Action People’s Party) Adeola Adebanjo (Labour Party) Jerry Afemighie (Peoples Democratic Party) Muyiwa Adedeji (Social Democratic Party); Oluwole Austine Brito (Young Progressive Party) Emereole Anthony (Zenith Labour Party).
According to him, recruitment and training of ad hoc officials to take part in the bye-election are on-going through root training.
“These ad hoc staff consist of serving corps members and INEC officials.
“The non-sensitive materials meant for the election have been arranged, while we await the delivery of sensitive materials,” the INEC boss said.
He said the essence of the meeting was also to keep all stakeholders on equal page in tandem with the mission statement of the commission which was to serve as an independent and effective Election Management Body (EMB).
Salami said that INEC was committed to the conduct of free, fair and credible elections for sustainable democracy.
“I want to assure all stakeholders that on our part, we are going to adhere strictly to our guiding principles and bring to bear, our core values with a view to ensuring that we midwife a process, devoid of any rancour or acrimony.
“Being a double edged game, the commission will also profoundly appreciate that the stakeholders play the game according to the established rules. The idea of ballot snatching, vote buying and thuggery should be jettisoned.
“Let us strive together to allow our democracy grow and stand the test of time, “ the INEC boss said.
Also speaking, the INEC Administrative Secretary, Mrs Feyijimi Saseyi, who recognised past efforts of the critical stakeholders, called for more cooperation and collaboration saying: “INEC work with rules and regulations.”
Saseyi advised party stakeholders to always approach INEC for any clarification when in doubt or confused.
Addressing the stakeholders on level of preparedness, Mr Gabriel Abidakun, INEC Head of Department (HOD) Election Party Monitoring said that primary elections, if properly carried out by political parties, was to deepen internal democracy within the party.
Abidakun, who noted that the next phase of the exercise was campaign, said that public campaigns by political parties would commence on Jan. 18 and end on Feb. 1.
“Take violence out of the campaign. Eschew violence. The space is wide enough for all political parties to campaign. Do your campaign without violence.
“Take permission from constituted authority before open air rallies and processions. Adhere to the spending limits and date for the submission of the party agents.
“Avoid foul language, sell your candidate and leave them alone to make their choice,” Abidakun said.
Also speaking, Mrs Oluyemi Adeyemi -Showunmi, the HOD, Electoral Operations, said that Surulere Federal Constituency I consisted of six Registration Areas (Wards) and 258 Polling Units.
According to her, the total number of registered voters in the six wards remained the same at 140,377, while only 121, 111 Permanent Voter Cards (PVCs) were collected.
Adeyemi-Showunmi said the commission had begun batching non sensitive materials which would soon be distributed.
Also, Mr Muyiwa Yusuf, the INEC HOD ICT explained that no fewer than 258 Bimodal Accreditation Voter Machine (BVAS) aside back up BVAS, would be deployed, adding that the configuration of the machine would soon start.
The Tide source reports that other INEC HODs also took turns to explain to the stakeholders, their level of preparations for the election.

Continue Reading

News

198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class

Published

on

A total of 198 students of the University of Benin (UNIBEN ) Edo State, bagged a First Class degree out of 14,083 students to be awarded first degree at the institution’s 51st Convocation and Founder’s Day ceremony.
Vice Chancellor of UNIBEN, Prof. Edoba Omoregie, disclosed this on Monday in Benin at a pre-convocation press briefing.
He said 4,217 students bagged a Second Class Upper,  7, 928 got a Second Class Lower, while 578 bagged a Third Class degree.
He said 15 new approved programmes by the National Universities Commission (NUC) would commence in the 2025/2026 academic session.
According to him, “The wheel of progress is on course and moving steadily in the University of Benin.  This administration is poised to deliver on its mandate of effective, practical teaching, sound learning, result-oriented research and impactful community service.
“We must applaud the President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, for establishing NELFUND, and by so doing significantly reducing the financial stress of students in the process of acquiring tertiary education.   We enjoin students and their parents to take full advantage of the federal government’s benevolence in instituting the fund.”
Prof. Omoregie disclosed that Nigeria’s Minister of Regional Development, Engr. Abubakar Momoh, would deliver the Founders’ Day lecture with the topic,  “Reforms for a Shared Prosperity”.
The UNIBEN VC said Director General of the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs and Former Vice Chancellor of Igbinedion University, Okada, Edo State, Professor Eghosa Osaghae, would deliver the Convocation Lecture on the theme, “Making Our Universities Great”.
Continue Reading

News

Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council  trains tra 1,000 teachers

Published

on

The last batch of 400 public school teachers in Bayelsa State on Monday commenced training under the sponsorship of Bayelsa Education Development Trust Fund (EDTF) and the British Council.
This batch will bring to 1000 the number of public school teachers in the state who have benefited in the partnership arrangement.School supplies
The EDTF, British Council and Teachers Training, Registration and Certification Board collaborated in the capacity development programme.
Speaking at the opening ceremony of the five day capacity building program, Commissioner for Education Dr Gentle Emelah reiterated the commitment of the Bayelsa government to training and capacity of teachers in the state.
He noted that the improved teaching methodology in the state was responsible for the state producing the best student in the 2025 West African School Certificate Examinations.
Prof Ebimiowei, Executive Secretary at EDTF, noted that the collaboration is aimed at improving learning outcomes for pupils and students of public primary and secondary schools in Bayelsa.
“You will agree with me that until the cutlass is sharpened, it will have no impact on the hands of the farmer and so it is with our teachers., you need to be sharpened very well to give good delivery in your various classes and schools.
“Let me at this juncture appreciate the British Council for accepting to train 1,000 teachers, 50 education managers and 60 trainers for Bayelsa,” he said.
On his part, Chairman of the EDTF board, High Chief Fidelis Agbiki expressed appreciation to the Commissioner for Education Dr Gentle Emelah for his supportive role to the fund.
Agbiki urged the beneficiaries to justify the enormous resources invested by the government of Bayelsa by being dedicated within the five days the exercise would last.
He said; “This board will not operate on business as usual but on business unusual as we will push the frontiers outside the box to ensure that we get value for money,” Agbiki said.
 Chairman of Development Partners Committee of the EDTF applauded the commitment of the partners for the successful completion of the programme, urging them to sustain the tempo
Speaking on the programme, Mr Fwanshishak Daniel, Head, English and Schools, British Council noted that the Bayelsa government had shown exemplary commitment to educational development.
He explained that the commitment has enabled the British Council and Bayelsa government to achieve within one year greater milestones that took other states three years to achieve.
He explained that the resources of the British Council have been made available to Bayelsa with the training of 60 resource persons from the state who will in turn train other teachers to improve education.
According to Daniel, the training will lay emphasis on new teaching methods, use of digital tools for self development and access to school amongst others.
Dr Peremoboere Ogola, Acting Chairman of TTRC, which facilitated training, thanked the EDTF for supporting training of teachers in Bayelsa with world class resources of the British Council.
She noted that another batch of newly recruited teachers are currently undergoing training at State government owned University of Africa, Toru Orua, Sagbama LGA in Bayelsa
Continue Reading

News

RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE

Published

on

The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.

The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.

Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee

highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.

“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.

Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.

The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.

Continue Reading

Trending