Connect with us

News

Labour Vows To Go Ahead With Strike

Published

on

Organised Labour has stated that nothing will stop it from embarking on its planned nationwide, indefinite strike and protests come Wednesday, October 3, insisting that it is not in contempt of a court order.
The Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr Lateef Fagbemi, had on Friday, said that the proposed strike was in clear violation of the pending interim injunctive order granted on June 5, 2023, restraining both the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union Congress of Nigeria (TUC), from embarking on any industrial action or strike pending the hearing and determination of the pending motion on notice.
However, in response to his comments, NLC President, Comrade Joe Ajaero, stated in a statement that the Congress found it curious that Fagbemi, a well-bred professional, could indulge in such talk.
Ajaero expressed surprise that the AGF was still making reference to a restraining order that had been imposed on June 5 through motion exparte and that the Ministry of Justice had said had expired due to non-diligent prosecution in a formal statement.
“Which order could Fagbemi be talking about here, we demand to know. We similarly, find it necessary to remind Fagbemi that equating a restraining order to a perpetual injunction will do no small damage to our legal/judicial system” he started.
The NLC president further blamed the court for refusing to sit during the pendency of the order to accept its response, while accusing Fagbemi of being partisan.
“There are two ministerial portfolios whose offices constitutionally do not admit partisanship in the discharge of their duties. These are Minister of Labour and Employment, and Minister of Justice. In addition to their regular duties, they are expected to play the umpire role.
“But here we find a Minister of Justice whose first major outing is not only an open partisanship but has descended into the arena with his robe and wig, losing in the process the umpire status!
“To gag us, to bind us, to tie us to the pole for life without a chance to hear us out will constitute not just malicious conduct but grievous injury to our fundamental human rights as enshrined in the 1999 Constitution (as amended).
“We refuse to be gagged. We also want to remind those in power of their own history when they were out of power!
“We find it pathetic that Mr Fagbemi strives to operate from the high moral ground by advising ‘Labour Unions on the need to protect the integrity of courts and observe the sanctity of court orders.’ “Who is causing more injury to the sanctity of the courts? Those seeking to convert a restraining order obtained under the cover of the night to a perpetual injunction or the victims of this terrorism?
On its part, the TUC referred to the order as a “black market injunction”, adding that the federal government did not have the moral standing to accuse the labour centres of disobeying court orders.
General Secretary of TUC, Comrade Nuhu Toro said: “The Federal Government and the government of Nigeria are not practising what they preach. I make bold to say this because, there is a subsisting court judgement in Lagos, delivered at the National Industrial Court, sitting in Lagos which stated that Road Transport Employers Association of Nigeria (RTEAN) is on the exclusive legislative list and therefore, the Lagos State Government has no business interfering in their activities, but as I speak to you today, they did not just disrespect the court ruling, they are still perpetuating themselves in the seizure of their property.
“If the government is preaching upholding the rule of law, they should show it so that Nigerians will know that they are really practicing what they preach.
He restated the congresses decision to embark on a strike, adding that addressing their demands is the only thing that can stop them.
“The court order is a black market injunction in my opinion and we are going ahead with our mobilisation.
“We have tabled our demands and the government has refused to take action, and if at the eleventh hour, they are trying to cry foul, then they should do the needful. They know what the issues are they should attend to the issues.
Reacting to concerns that the strike may further put Nigerians into hardship instead of helping the situation, he said: “this assertion is not correct, because the poor man and the poor worker are already down. They are not afraid of falling again because they are already down. So, if this is the only thing we will do to bring them out of the suffering that the government has pushed them into as a result of the thoughtless removal of fuel subsidies, we will do it.”
NLC and TUC, at a joint emergency meeting in Abuja on Tuesday, resolved to embark on an indefinite strike with effect from October 3 following Federal Government’s failure to address the suffering and other socio-economic hardships occasioned by the removal of subsidy on Premium Motor Spirit (PMS), commonly known as petrol.

Continue Reading

News

198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class

Published

on

A total of 198 students of the University of Benin (UNIBEN ) Edo State, bagged a First Class degree out of 14,083 students to be awarded first degree at the institution’s 51st Convocation and Founder’s Day ceremony.
Vice Chancellor of UNIBEN, Prof. Edoba Omoregie, disclosed this on Monday in Benin at a pre-convocation press briefing.
He said 4,217 students bagged a Second Class Upper,  7, 928 got a Second Class Lower, while 578 bagged a Third Class degree.
He said 15 new approved programmes by the National Universities Commission (NUC) would commence in the 2025/2026 academic session.
According to him, “The wheel of progress is on course and moving steadily in the University of Benin.  This administration is poised to deliver on its mandate of effective, practical teaching, sound learning, result-oriented research and impactful community service.
“We must applaud the President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, for establishing NELFUND, and by so doing significantly reducing the financial stress of students in the process of acquiring tertiary education.   We enjoin students and their parents to take full advantage of the federal government’s benevolence in instituting the fund.”
Prof. Omoregie disclosed that Nigeria’s Minister of Regional Development, Engr. Abubakar Momoh, would deliver the Founders’ Day lecture with the topic,  “Reforms for a Shared Prosperity”.
The UNIBEN VC said Director General of the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs and Former Vice Chancellor of Igbinedion University, Okada, Edo State, Professor Eghosa Osaghae, would deliver the Convocation Lecture on the theme, “Making Our Universities Great”.
Continue Reading

News

Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council  trains tra 1,000 teachers

Published

on

The last batch of 400 public school teachers in Bayelsa State on Monday commenced training under the sponsorship of Bayelsa Education Development Trust Fund (EDTF) and the British Council.
This batch will bring to 1000 the number of public school teachers in the state who have benefited in the partnership arrangement.School supplies
The EDTF, British Council and Teachers Training, Registration and Certification Board collaborated in the capacity development programme.
Speaking at the opening ceremony of the five day capacity building program, Commissioner for Education Dr Gentle Emelah reiterated the commitment of the Bayelsa government to training and capacity of teachers in the state.
He noted that the improved teaching methodology in the state was responsible for the state producing the best student in the 2025 West African School Certificate Examinations.
Prof Ebimiowei, Executive Secretary at EDTF, noted that the collaboration is aimed at improving learning outcomes for pupils and students of public primary and secondary schools in Bayelsa.
“You will agree with me that until the cutlass is sharpened, it will have no impact on the hands of the farmer and so it is with our teachers., you need to be sharpened very well to give good delivery in your various classes and schools.
“Let me at this juncture appreciate the British Council for accepting to train 1,000 teachers, 50 education managers and 60 trainers for Bayelsa,” he said.
On his part, Chairman of the EDTF board, High Chief Fidelis Agbiki expressed appreciation to the Commissioner for Education Dr Gentle Emelah for his supportive role to the fund.
Agbiki urged the beneficiaries to justify the enormous resources invested by the government of Bayelsa by being dedicated within the five days the exercise would last.
He said; “This board will not operate on business as usual but on business unusual as we will push the frontiers outside the box to ensure that we get value for money,” Agbiki said.
 Chairman of Development Partners Committee of the EDTF applauded the commitment of the partners for the successful completion of the programme, urging them to sustain the tempo
Speaking on the programme, Mr Fwanshishak Daniel, Head, English and Schools, British Council noted that the Bayelsa government had shown exemplary commitment to educational development.
He explained that the commitment has enabled the British Council and Bayelsa government to achieve within one year greater milestones that took other states three years to achieve.
He explained that the resources of the British Council have been made available to Bayelsa with the training of 60 resource persons from the state who will in turn train other teachers to improve education.
According to Daniel, the training will lay emphasis on new teaching methods, use of digital tools for self development and access to school amongst others.
Dr Peremoboere Ogola, Acting Chairman of TTRC, which facilitated training, thanked the EDTF for supporting training of teachers in Bayelsa with world class resources of the British Council.
She noted that another batch of newly recruited teachers are currently undergoing training at State government owned University of Africa, Toru Orua, Sagbama LGA in Bayelsa
Continue Reading

News

RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE

Published

on

The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.

The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.

Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee

highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.

“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.

Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.

The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.

Continue Reading

Trending