News
Rivers Legislators Seek Extension Of Pipeline Surveillance Contract
Some members of the Rivers State House of Assembly have called on the Federal Government to extend the surveillance contract of Pipeline Infrastructure Nigeria Ltd (PINL) beyond the current three months.
The lawmakers include Rt. Hon. Dumle Maol; Hon. John Dominic Iderema; and Hon. Sokari Goodboy Sokari; representing Gokana, Abua/Odual and Ahoada West constituencies, respectively,
This is as the lawmakers have rated the company high on its performance on the pipeline surveillance contract across affected Niger Delta states.
PINL is one of the contractors engaged by the Federal Government to implement its security surveillance policy of oil industry assets, especially pipelines, in the Niger Delta.
The contract, which has just lasted nearly a year, has PINL covering hundreds of communities in four states of Abia, Bayelsa, Imo and Rivers, hosting pipelines and other crude oil assets.
But following the ravaging effects of oil theft, pipeline vandalism and illegal refining, the Federal Government resorted to the policy of pipeline surveillance with PINL being one of the contractors.
Records show that gross terminal recovery factors have moved from 3% in 2022 to over 97% as at May 30, 2023, attributable to PINL strategic deployment and operations in the Eastern corridor.
Recently, the contract was renewed by the Federal Government by another three months with expiration date set for sometime in October, 2023.
Speaking to journalists on the performance of the contractors, the three lawmakers, whose constituencies are oil facility hosts, expressed joy with PINL for its high quality performance, stating that the company has reduced oil theft through pipeline vandalism and illegal refining of petroleum products by over 90 percent in its short period of engagement.
They attributed the success of the company to its far-reaching community engagement strategy through which they touched base with all host community stakeholders of pipeline and other facilities, saying it gave everyone a sense of belonging and made them active participants in the fight against the menace of illegal oil bunkering.
The lawmakers, therefore, urged the Federal Government to extend the surveillance contract, saying that the three months extension recently granted the company was not long enough.
They warned that if the contract was not further renewed, the oil thieves might return at the end of the extended three months.
In his statement, the lawmaker representing Gokana State Constituency and Deputy Speaker, Rivers State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Dumle Maol, acknowledged that the presence of PINL in his area has saved the people from the multi-dimensional challenges of oil thieves and illegal bunkering.
Maol, who represents a part of Ogoniland with several kilometers of pipeline, said; “I hear that they were told to be on site for another three months, meaning that in days to come, their contract will elapse.
“Question is, if you don’t ask them to continue, what will happen to the place? It will be vulnerable for these crude oil thieves to come back and do what they used to do before, and we don’t intend to go back to the dark days.
“I believe that asking them to come back will mean that they need to double their efforts and bring new innovations that will make them improve and do better than what they are doing now.
“Before now, it had been an eye sore. In my community, B-Dere, it used to be horrible, when you see individuals just wake up one morning and go to destroy pipelines all in the guise of getting crude oil for illegal refining.
“So, I urge the Federal Government to quickly do the needful by extending the contract in a sustainable term, not three months, not one month but a long term award that will make them relax and think of what to do to sustain what they are already doing”, the lawmaker added.
Also speaking, Hon. Iderema said, “If tremendous progress has not been made, I don’t think Mr President would have extended it by three months. For him to have extended the contract by three months, it means he’s satisfied with PINL activities in the Niger Delta.
“Now, for me, the three months period is too short because once they know that PINL is leaving in three months’ time, they too will be prepared. That very day that the company pulls out, they will move in and start their illegal activities again.
“I’m proposing for the Federal Government to give them, at least, one year period of probation again. Whoever the Federal Government wants to monitor PINL, they should bring the person to monitor them for a period of one year, at least. Three months is too short.
“For me, going by what we had before they came in, I don’t think anybody would want to change a football team that’s winning, they would want to sustain such football team. So, I believe that the Federal Government will want to strengthen this PINL so they can achieve greater heights”, Iderema stated.
“Before 2022, pipeline vandalism was a real menace to the two local government areas” of Abua/Odual and Ahoada East.
“It was terrible, it was a big problem for the state and the society. People died, it was becoming unbearable. The soot alone, you can’t fetch water and leave it open for 5 minutes. You know, in these localities, we have open bathroom.
“So, by the time you fetch water from the tap or from the mono pump, by the time you finish bathing, you will notice oil with particles, which we learnt contains benzine and it can cause cancer.
“You can’t have natural air to breathe, you can’t open your windows because by the time you open your windows and touch your plates or cutlery, you see black soot. Then, it became a permanent stain on the soles of our feet. That was hazardous, it was a big problem, but with the contract in place, things have changed for the better”, Iderema noted.
On his part, Hon. Sokari said; “Honestly speaking, vandalism or oil bunkering has affected us so much as a people. The activities of these illegal bunkerers and refiners have affected our land. It has disrupted the ecosystem and negatively impacted on agriculture which is the main occupation of my people.
“Before now, we don’t know if there was any arrangement between the government and the private sector on how to safeguard these facilities, but lately, we have seen some changes; and that move has drastically reduced illegal refining activities that we see around our area”.
Sokari said; “Initially, when they came, we felt it was going to be a kind of recurring decimal. We didn’t know that it will work. PINL moved straight to wherever they were and life became unbearable for them and they had to leave.
“If I’m to score them between 1 and 100, I will give them 90 percent and above. For PINL to have made the youths of these communities engaged, they are happy. They are gainfully employed; they get salary every month. So, that also is a plus for PINL”.
News
US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day
The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.
The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.
“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.
According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.
The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.
In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.
Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.
News
Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role
United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.
Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.
The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.
“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.
The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.
Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.
The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.
In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.
“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.
Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.
He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.
Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.
News
Four To Face Death Penalty Over DPO Angbashim’s Murder
A Rivers State High Court sitting in Port Harcourt has convicted and sentenced four persons to death by hanging over the gruesome killing of the former Divisional Police Officer of Ahoada East Police Division, SP Bako Angbashim.
The presiding Judge, Justice Sika Aprioku, in a landmark judgment, last Thursday, found the quartet guilty of conspiracy, murder, membership of a secret cult group and robbery, saying the prosecution proved its case beyond reasonable doubt.
Those sentenced to death by hanging are Robinson Sonabari, identified as a native doctor; Bright Okparawo; Precious Amaeze, popularly known as Selina; and Loveday Jack, also known as Ragged Excess. The court ordered that they be hanged by the neck until they are confirmed dead.
Justice Aprioku also convicted the sixth defendant, Samuel Nwadinma, and sentenced him to three years imprisonment for conspiracy.
The third accused person was, however, discharged and acquitted of the four-count charge.
In the same vein, the court discharged Famous Okechukwu, Samuel Uchendu, Oyekachi Ikonwa, Godbless Nnamdi and Marshall Daniel, who were earlier found guilty of membership of a secret cult group, on the grounds that they had already served the maximum terms prescribed by law in the correctional facility.
The court held that among those convicted was the native doctor who allegedly prepared the charm used in the killing of the late DPO.
Speaking with newsmen shortly after the judgment, the lead prosecution counsel from the Rivers State Ministry of Justice, Chigozie Amadi, alongside a representative of the police legal team, Celestine Dickson, commended the judiciary for ensuring that justice was served.
Dickson, who represented the Nigeria Police Force in the joint prosecution, expressed concern that officers saddled with the responsibility of protecting lives and property had increasingly become targets of criminal elements.
He, however, expressed optimism that the judgment would serve as a strong deterrent to would-be offenders.
Also reacting, the elder brother of the late DPO, Akasco Angbashim, who travelled from Nasarawa State to witness the judgment, said the verdict had healed a long-standing wound inflicted on the family since the brutal murder of their brother.
He commended the judiciary, the Rivers State Government and the police for their commitment to justice, stressing that the judgment sends a clear message that no individual has the right to unlawfully take another person’s life.
The four convicts were among 72 persons initially arraigned before the State High Court by a joint prosecution team comprising the Department of Public Prosecutions and the Rivers State Police Command over the murder.
During the trial, 61 accused persons, including the Eze Ekpeye Logbo, Eze Kelvin Anugwo, and a former Ahoada East Council Chairman, Cassidy Ikegbidi, were discharged and acquitted for lack of evidence, leaving 13 defendants to face judgment.
SP Angbashim was gruesomely murdered on September 8, 2023, during a police operation in Odemude community, Ahoada East Local Government Area.
His killing sparked tension in the area, prompting a joint security operation that led to the death of the suspected cult leader, David Okparanwo, popularly known as 2Baba.
By: King Onunwor
-
Politics3 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Business3 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Sports3 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Sports3 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
News3 days ago
Police Bust Kidnapping Syndicate In PH
-
Featured3 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports3 days ago
‘NTF Will Build On Davis Cup Success For Brighter Future’
-
Sports3 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
