Connect with us

Niger Delta

Bayelsa Poll: Group Cautions Stakeholders On INEC Rules, Regulations

Published

on

The Ijaw Youths Council (IYC) has called on stakeholders in the November 11 governorship election in Bayelsa to play the game according to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) rules and regulations.
The group said it will resist any form of bloodshed before, during and after the poll, therefore, everyone should play the game accordingly.
Rising from its Executive Council meeting, the IYC also appealed to the Federal and State Governments to prioritise lasting solutions to flood disasters in the Niger Delta region.
The Council, in a communique issued on Monday in Yenagoa after the meeting, said political actors and gladiators must shun any act that could escalate tension in Bayelsa during the forthcoming poll.
The IYC in the communique signed by its President, Dr. Alayi Theophilus, asked politicians to shun hate speeches and focus on selling their manifestoes to the people.
The IYC said: “It is our firm belief that the lives and safety of Ijaw citizens should always supersede political considerations and electoral processes.
“We shall hold politicians responsible if any Ijaw life is lost during and after the election.
“We in the IYC shall not fold our arms to see that the existing peace we enjoy in the state is damaged.
“We advise all politicians to shun hate speeches and focus on telling us their manifestos. Our lives are worth more than any political ambition”, Theophilus stated.
The group commended Federal Government and other organisations for their support for flood victims in the region and called for a permanent solution.
The group appealed for construction of dam, critical drainage systems and dredging of flood-prone communities of the region.
“Recognising the recurring nature of these disasters, we urgently call upon both Federal and State governments to prioritise and implement enduring solutions.
“This includes the construction of various drainage systems that will offload the water to the sea and initiating comprehensive coastline dredging.
“The Bola Tinubu-led government must make our abandoned dam in Adamawa functional and create additional three dams within the flood channels.
“These dams, when completed and made functional, will not just serve as water reservoir, but also as a source of hydropower that will add to the national grid.
“Ijaw people are yet to recover from the trauma caused by the last year’s flooding. Goods worth billions of naira were destroyed and strange diseases are being experienced till date.
“The palliative can never be compared to the disaster we are experiencing”,the group stated.
The IYC accused Delta State Governor of marginalising Ijaw communities in the state in his recent award of N78bn contracts.
The council said: “While we acknowledge and commend Delta Governor, Mr Oborevwori Sheriff, for his efforts in awarding a significant N78bn contract.
“We find it disheartening to observe the marginalisation of the Ijaw territories. Projects like Ayakoromo bridge, which is barely N6bn to completion is begging for attention.
“The Ojobo Road is abandoned. It is therefore unjust to exclude Ijaw territories in the N78bn contract awarded by the Delta Government.
“The IYC calls on the Delta Government to review the move to include Ijaw communities. We assert that the interests of all communities must be earnestly considered in development initiatives”, the group stated.
The council further condemned all forms of police brutality within the Niger Delta region, particularly recent incidents in Delta and Rivers and demanded justice for victims.
The IYC warned against external interference in the surveillance activities of the Federal Government and NNPC, insisting that Tompolo had demonstrated effectiveness in handling contracts awarded to his company.
The communique said: “We emphasise the criticality of maintaining stability in the region and the scope of work is big enough to engage additional Ijaw sons and daughters.
“It is our humble position that the likes of Gen. Amagbein should be considered for the Bayelsa section of the surveillance project to promote the actualisation of the objectives of the programme.
“We urgently call on the Federal Government to reevaluate and expedite the establishment of modular refineries across the Niger Delta region.
“We are calling on NNPC and the Federal Government to release additional 15 modular refineries to sons and daughters of the Niger Delta region that have the capacity to finance such project.
“Furthermore, we implore swift action in ensuring the Port Harcourt refinery commences operation by December as promised by the Federal Government.
“Additionally, we stress the immediate mobilisation of contractors for the East-West road”.

Continue Reading

Niger Delta

850-bed UCTH overstretched, services 5m patients – CMD

Published

on

The Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital (UCTH), Prof. Ikpeme Ikpeme, has said the 850-bed hospital is overstretched, as it currently serves over five million patients.
He disclosed this on Friday during a media tour of the facility to showcase ongoing renovations and facelift in the hospital.
The CMD noted that, aside being the only tertiary healthcare facility servicing the state, UCTH also serviced neighbouring states of Akwa Ibom and Ebonyi.
He said the hospital also received referrals from neighbouring countries, including Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and Central African Republic.
According to him, the 850-bed hospital faced persistent space constraints because of increasing patients inflow and expanding healthcare demands.
“This hospital currently operates 62 clinical and non-clinical departments as well as  between 30 and 38 wards covering medical, surgical, paediatric, orthopaedic and specialised services.
“Most wards have undergone facelift, remodelling, or complete renovation to improve patient care and working conditions for healthcare professionals”, he said.
He disclosed that the hospital was constructing a new 106-bed emergency medicine facility to address the rising demand for healthcare services.
According to him, the facility will include trauma bays, intensive care units, neonatal wards, and three fully equipped trauma theatres.
Speaking on the remodeled wards, Ikpeme explained that they followed modern nursing principles, allowing one nurse to attend to a maximum of 10 patients.
He said relatives would be restricted to designated waiting areas to reduce interference with medical procedures and improve emergency response efficiency.
The CMD noted that the hospital had strengthened specialist services in orthopaedics, neurosurgery, obstetrics, radiology, and minimally invasive surgery.
“UCTH now performs hip and knee replacements, arthroscopy, sports medicine, and complex brain tumour surgeries.
“Our surgeons also conduct keyhole procedures for appendectomy, hysterectomy and other conditions with faster patient recovery periods,” he said
In power, the CMD said the hospital relied on solar power from a seven-megawatt plant, constructed by the Federal Government at the University of Calabar, as well as public power supply, and generators to sustain its operations.
He appealed to governments, organisations, and philanthropists to support infrastructure expansion, equipment procurement, and specialised healthcare projects.
The CMD said the hospital required additional incubators, ward expansions, and a stand-alone amenity facility for private healthcare services.
He used the opportunity to dismiss allegations of ethnic discrimination, insisting that the hospital does not reject workers or patients based on tribe or origin.
According to him, the institution recently honoured an Igbo pioneer physician by naming a ward after him in recognition of decades of service.
The CMD said the hospital maintained strict disciplinary procedures to address negligence, poor attitude, and unethical conduct among staff.
The Tide’s source reports that some of the units visited include, intensive care unit, Department of Radiology, Urology Clinic, and Opthalmology Clinic.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Police Burst Child Trafficking Syndicate In A’Ibom … Nab 3 Suspects

Published

on

The Police Command in Akwa Ibom State says it has busted a child trafficking syndicate and arrested three suspects for conspiracy and unlawful sale of a newborn baby in the State.
The State’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Timfom John, who disclosed this in a statement in Uyo on Friday, said the three female suspects were arrested on Wednesday at about 1900hrs.
She said a complainant reported that his wife gave birth to a baby boy on May 7 and shockingly, shortly after delivery sold the newborn child to one of the suspects for N145, 000.
“Upon receipt of the report, operatives immediately swung into action, leading to the arrest of the suspects and the successful recovery of the baby boy.
“The suspects reportedly confessed to the crime during interrogation, while investigation has been expanded to identify and apprehend all individuals connected to the trafficking syndicate”, John said.
She said the State’s Commissioner of Police, Baba Azare, reiterated the Command’s commitment to sustaining aggressive intelligence-led policing in the state.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

A’Ibom Launches Operation Crack Down Scrap Dealers 

Published

on

The Akwa-Ibom State Government has launched a statewide crackdown on unregistered scrap dealers and scavengers, shutting down illegal operations and arresting operators accused of violating environmental and public safety regulations.
The enforcement operation, led by the Akwa Ibom State Environmental Protection and Waste Management Agency (AKSEPWMA), followed the implementation of the state’s Waste Metal Scrap Law 2026, officials said.
AKSEPWMA Chairman, Obong Prince Ikim, said the exercise was aimed at regulating the scrap sector, protect the environment, and prevent criminal groups from operating under the guise of waste collection and metal trading.
“If you want to do scrap business, you must register,” Mr. Ikim said during the operation in Uyo, the state capital.
“Many people now hide under scrap trading to perpetrate nefarious activities”, he said.
According to him, dump site operators and scrap dealers who failed to register with the government risked closure and prosecution.
Authorities accused some operators of involvement in vandalism of public infrastructure and indiscriminate waste disposal, adding that investigations had uncovered criminal activities linked to several dump sites across the state.
“Some people vandalise government facilities in the name of scrap business and encourage indiscriminate dumping of refuse,” Mr. Ikim said.
He added that the state government and security agencies would continue efforts to enforce compliance and maintain public order.
“The Commissioner of Police has zero tolerance for criminality, and the Governor wants Akwa Ibom people to sleep with their eyes closed. We will fish out every defaulter”, he said.
Police officials involved in the operation said investigations showed that some criminal suspects used scrap yards and refuse dump sites as cover for illegal activities.
CSP Okwuzulike Vincent of the Itam Police Station said some suspects pretended to be mentally unstable while hiding ammunition and other suspicious items in makeshift shelters around dump locations.
The police officer praised the environmental agency for what he described as proactive efforts to sanitise the sector and pledged continued cooperation between law enforcement and the agency.
Officials said some first-time offenders arrested during the operation were released after profiling and signing undertakings, while repeat offenders would face prosecution.
Continue Reading

Trending