News
Over 40 Feared Killed In Niger Mining Site Attack
No fewer than 40 people were reportedly killed by bandits following an attack on a mining site in Ajata-Aboki in Shiroro Local Government of Niger State.
It was gathered that the victims included over 30 soldiers, seven police and six civilians, while scores sustained varying degrees of injuries and others kidnapped.
The gunmen, it was further learnt, attacked the community in the early hours of yesterday.
Confirming the attack, the co-convener, Concerned Shiroro Youths, Niger State, Sani Abubakar Yusuf Kokki, disclosed that the bandits also kidnapped some Chinese Nationals and several others.
Kokki said: “A large number of heavily armed and well equipped terrorists with assorted sophisticated and dangerous weapons stormed the village on Wednesday at about 4pm and headed to a mining site owned by expatriates and started unleashing mayhem on unsuspecting victims.
“On getting the wind of the ugly development, the Nigerian Army stationed at a nearby Erena swung into action by engaging them in fire for fire unfortunately and sadly, as of yesterday, about six officers were gunned down while many others have been wounded through multiple gunshots.
“As I am talking to you this morning, the death toll has risen astronomically. Over 30 soldiers have been discovered in the bush and confirmed dead.
“No fewer than seven mobile policemen attached to the mining site and six other civilians were gruesomely killed through the ambush.”
Also speaking on the attack, the Niger State Commissioner for Internal Security and Humanitarian Affairs, Emmanuel Umar, said the assailants killed security operatives and kidnapped four Chinese nationals.
Umaru, in a statement issued, yesterday, stated that the attack occurred at about 6.00pm on Wednesday.
He, however, noted that the number of people killed was yet to be ascertained.
The commissioner added that a joint security team was quickly mobilised to the scene in response to a distress call received by the state government.
Umaru said: “Consequently, the joint security team engaged the terrorists and they were yet to determine the number of casualties from both sides.
“However, a yet to be ascertained number of workers in the mining site including four Chinese nationals were reported to have been abducted.
“Security forces were reinforced for the manhunt of the remaining terrorists as some of them were neutralised and rescue of the injured victims including security personnel.”
Umaru stated that those injured had been evacuated to government hospitals for treatment.
He added: “While the Niger government commiserates with heads of security agencies in the state and families of the slain personnel, the state government assures that their sacrifices will not go in vain.
“The state government acknowledges all the efforts of the joint security operatives and that of the communities toward taming the spate of insecurity in some parts of the state.
“Security forces mobilised reinforcement for the manhunt of the remaining terrorists as some of them were neutralised and rescue of the injured victims including security personnel that sustained various degrees of injuries have been taken to a government medical facility in the state for treatment.”
Umaru assured that the state government would continue to provide them with the needed support to enable them eradicate banditry in the state, adding that the state governor, Abubakar Bello, has directed security agencies to ensure the safe return of the kidnapped victims.
News
198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class
News
Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council trains tra 1,000 teachers
News
RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE
The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.
The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.
Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee
highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.
“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.
Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.
The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.
