Connect with us

Politics

Former APC National Secretary Dumps Party

Published

on

The immediate past National Secretary of Caretaker Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee (CECPC) of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Senator James John Akpanudoedehe, has resigned from the party.
It is speculated that what might have led to Akpanudoedehe’s resignation could be a face-off between him and the APC National Chairman, Senator Abdullahi Adamu, when he was the National Secretary, resulting in the latter paying him back now.
Apart from that, Akpanudoedehe supported Chief Austin Ekanem as the state APC Chairman, while former Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Senator Goodswill Akpabio is supporting Obong Stephen Ntukekpo, a disagreement that both parties could not resolve amicably.
In a letter of resignation dated June 4, 2022, and addressed to the Chairman of All Progressives Congress, Ward 6, Uyo Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State, Akpanudoedehe said the decision to part ways with the APC was a tough one.
“Henceforth, I cease to be a member of the APC in my ward (ward 6 in Uyo LGA) or anywhere for that matter. I hereby relinquish all rights which inured to me as a member of the APC, member of the National Advisory Council and member of the National Caucus of the APC,” he wrote.
Confirming the story to The Tide source on Monday, Solomon Johnny who was the state Publicity Secretary of APC under the Ekanem-led administration said, “It is true that the Senator has resigned.”
Recall that the APC National Chairman, Abdullahi Adamu, swore in Stephen Ntukekpo as chairman of the party in Akwa Ibom State despite a court order directing parties to maintain the status quo.
The Court of Appeal in Abuja had on April 7 directed all parties “to maintain the status quo” in an appeal filed by Akpanudoedehe for a stay of execution as well as challenging the jurisdiction of the Federal High Court in Abuja which declared Mr Ntukepo as chairman of the party in Akwa Ibom.
However, on April 11, 72 hours after the court’s directive, Mr Ntukekpo was sworn in by Mr Adamu as the substantive chairman of APC in Akwa Ibom State, in defiance of the Appeal Court order.
But last week, Senator Akpanudoedehe withdrew the matter from the court.
From the beginning, APC in Akwa Ibom State had been enmeshed in a leadership crisis before and after the state congress of the party in October 2021.
The state congress of the party resulted in two different sets of executives claiming leadership of the party in the state.
Two parallel state congresses of the party were held in October 2021 which produced two parallel state executives, both claiming to be the legitimate body in charge of the party in the state.
One faction led by Austin Ekanem as state chairman, which was loyal to Mr Akpanudoedeghe was said to have emerged from the congress conducted at Sheergrace Arena in Uyo reportedly monitored by a committee deployed by the party’s national headquarters and supervised by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
The second faction led by Mr Ntukekpo as state chairman, which is loyal to the Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Godswill Akpabio, emerged from the congress conducted the same day but in another location – Kara Event Centre, also in the state capital, Uyo.
Leadership crisis amid legal tussle erupted immediately after the state congress, but Mr Akpanudoedehe’s faction, led by Mr Ekanem, had the upper hand when their principal was in office as Caretaker Committee Secretary of the party.
Mr Ekanem was, on March 7, sworn into office as the state chairman of the party along with others by the Niger State Governor, Abubakar Bello, who was then acting chairman of the party’s caretaker committee while the then chairman, Governor Mala Buni of Yobe State, was abroad for medical treatment.
However, the governorship primary that was held on May 26, 2022 broke the camel’s back.
Akpanudoedehe who was an APC governorship aspirant plotted to hold the primary at Sheergrace Event Centre, Uyo while Akpabio’s faction held its own along Ekpo Obot Street, Uyo, the Ntukekpo’s party office.
Eventually, the APC National body delivered election materials to Ntukekpo and Obong Akan Udofia emerged as the state governorship standard bearer for the 2023 general elections.

 

Continue Reading

Politics

INEC Extends Candidate Submission Deadline Till ‘Morow

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has extended the deadline for political parties to submit the list of candidates for the 2027 governorship and state Houses of Assembly elections from Saturday, August 8, to Tuesday, August 11, 2026.

The commission announced the extension in a statement issued on Saturday and signed by the National Commissioner and Chairman of its Information and Voter Education Committee, Mohammed Haruna.

According to INEC, the decision followed appeals by political parties for additional time to complete the submission process through the dedicated online portal.

“The submission window, which according to the revised Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the General Election was originally scheduled to close on Saturday, 8th August, 2026, has been extended to Tuesday, 11th August, 2026,” the commission said.

In a a related development, INEC announced the suspension of PVC collection in Osun State ahead of the August 15 governorship election.

The commission said voters who applied for replacement of lost, damaged or defaced Permanent Voter Cards would have until midnight on Sunday, August 9, to print downloadable copies of their cards.

The electoral body explained that the deadline was necessary to enable it compile data on downloaded PVCs and produce final statistics on the total number of cards collected ahead of the election.

INEC said PVC collection in Osun commenced at the Registration Area level from July 22 to 28, 2026, but was extended to July 31 following complaints about large crowds and difficulties experienced by voters at collection centres.

The exercise subsequently moved to the local government level and ran from August 1 to 7.

The commission also disclosed that replacement downloadable PVCs had been made available to voters in Odo-Otin and Ife Central Local Government Areas following the theft of cards during attacks on the two collection centres.

It stressed that the stolen cards could not be used to vote.

INEC reassured Osun residents of its preparedness for the August 15 governorship election.

“The commission reiterates that the stolen cards cannot be used to vote.

“INEC reassures the people of Osun State of its readiness to conduct a free, fair, credible and inclusive governorship election on 15th August, 2026,” the statement said.

 

 

Continue Reading

Politics

2027: INEC Extends Submission Deadline For Assembly, Guber Candidates 

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has given political parties three extra days to complete the submission of candidates for the February 2027 Governorship and State Houses of Assembly elections.

The commission said the deadline, initially set for Saturday, 8 August, has been extended to Tuesday, 11 August 2026, following appeals from political parties for more time.

INEC also announced that the window for voters who applied to replace lost, damaged or defaced PVCs to download their replacement cards will close at midnight on Sunday, 9 August.

The move is to enable the commission compile final PVC collection figures ahead of the 15 August Osun governorship election.

INEC said replacement downloadable PVCs have also been provided to affected voters in Odo-Otin and Ife Central Local Government Areas after hoodlums carted away cards from two collection centres, stressing that the stolen cards cannot be used to vote.

The commission reaffirmed its readiness to conduct a free, fair, credible and inclusive election in Osun State.

 

Continue Reading

Politics

Yilwatda’s Birthday Outreach Demonstrates Leadership – Kefas

Published

on

The Taraba State Governor, Agbu Kefas, has described the medical outreach organised by the National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda, as a powerful demonstration of leadership and compassion.

Gov. Kefas made the remarks over the weekend at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Jalingo, during the flag-off of the second phase of the Renewed Hope Medical Outreach in Taraba State, organised as part of activities marking Prof. Yilwatda’s 58th birthday.

The governor commended Prof. Yilwatda for choosing to mark his birthday by providing medical care to people in need.

“What Professor Nentawe did is a powerful demonstration of what leadership should be,” Gov. Kefas said.

He assured that his administration would continue to support initiatives that complement government efforts to improve healthcare delivery and the wellbeing of residents.

Speaking at the event, Prof. Yilwatda called on Nigerian leaders to embrace the culture of giving and use their positions to touch the lives of the less privileged.

He said his decision to celebrate his 58th birthday in Taraba State was deliberate and informed by the needs of underserved communities, particularly people who face difficulties accessing healthcare because of distance and financial constraints.

According to him, the intervention followed a needs assessment and was extended across the three senatorial districts of the state.

He said the exercise commenced on August 3 at Takum General Hospital and covered the Federal University Teaching Hospital, Wukari; First Referral Hospital, Sunkani, Ardo-Kola Local Government Area; General Hospital, Bali; General Hospital, Gembu; and FMC Jalingo.

Prof. Yilwatda said the intervention provided medical services to thousands of beneficiaries, including people who required surgical procedures.

He said sustainable national development could only be achieved when strong institutions placed Nigerians at the centre of development.

“Leadership is about service,” he said, urging political and public leaders to make giving back to society an important part of their responsibilities.

He reaffirmed his commitment to serving Nigeria and its people, saying his personal vision was to make every day of his life useful to humanity.

“Every day that I live, the vision is: let it be useful to humanity,” he said.

The Taraba State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Bordiya Buma, commended the initiative, saying it was consistent with the Renewed Hope agenda and efforts to strengthen healthcare delivery in the state.

Dr Buma said the second phase followed the successful completion of the first phase, which was conducted simultaneously in six local government areas, with two LGAs selected from each of the three senatorial districts.

According to him, more than 10,000 patients were attended to during the first phase, including people with medical and surgical conditions.

He disclosed that 327 general surgeries, 71 eye surgeries and 575 dental procedures were carried out during the exercise.

The commissioner expressed appreciation to President Bola Tinubu for the Renewed Hope Medical Outreach and thanked Prof. Yilwatda for supporting the initiative and choosing Taraba State as a beneficiary.

The Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Prof. Muhammad Ali Pate, also commended Prof. Yilwatda for choosing Taraba State to mark his 58th birthday through a medical outreach.

Prof. Pate said making healthcare the centrepiece of the birthday celebration was significant because health affects everyone.

 

Continue Reading

Trending