Connect with us

Featured

Monguno Declares War On Abba Kyari, Writes Buhari …NSA’s Revelation Validates Our Position On Buhari’s Governance Style -PDP

Published

on

The National Security Adviser, Babagana Monguno, has accused President Muhammadu Buhari’s Chief of Staff, Abba Kyari, of undue and dangerous interference on national security matters.
Consequently, Monguno has fired a warning memo to all service chiefs to desist from taking further directives from Kyari, according to documents made available to newsmen, yesterday.
Monguno said Kyari’s directives to service chiefs were sometimes issued without the knowledge much less approval of the president, a practice he said has added to government’s failure to contain insecurity.
“Chief of staff to the president is not a presiding head of security, neither is he sworn to an oath of defending the country,” Monguno, a retired major-general, said in the December 9, 2019, letter.
“As such, unprofessional practices such as presiding over meetings with service chiefs and heads of security organisations as well as ambassadors and high commissioners to the exclusion of the NSA and/or supervising ministers are a violation of the Constitution and directly undermine the authority of Mr President.
“Such acts and continues meddlesomeness by chief of staff have not only ruptured our security and defence efforts but have slowed down any meaningful gain that Mr President has sought to achieve.”
Monguno’s letter comes as insecurity returns to centre stage as a major cause for worry among Nigerians.
Violent attacks linked to bandits, kidnappers, armed robbers and vandals have continued to claim multiple lives and properties across the country.
The president has repeatedly promised to curb the crises, many of which he met in office, but has largely failed like his predecessors.
Security experts, opposition and federal lawmakers have responded by advising the president to fire his service chiefs.
The service chiefs have been unable to rein in Boko Haram insurgents since 2015 when Buhari named them to take charge of various arms of the nation’s security architecture.
While previously held swathes of land have been taken back from terrorists, deadly attacks on civilians and military targets have worsened since 2018.
The Chief of Army Staff, Lt-Gen Tukur Buratai, said in recent media interviews that the military has degraded insurgents’ capacity to attack Abuja and other cities outside the war-ravaged northeast.
National security sources said, yesterday, that the fresh memo showed how Kyari has helped in keeping the service chiefs in office despite overwhelming call for their ouster.
It also underscored the frustration faced by Monguno and others who found Kyari’s influence over the president too domineering for national benefit, sources said.
Kyari and two presidential spokespersons, Femi Adesina and Garba Shehu did not return requests for comments about the memo, yesterday afternoon.
But reacting, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) said the revelation by the National Security Adviser (NSA), Maj-Gen Babagana Monguno (rtd), that strange persons have been presiding over critical affairs of governance has validated its position that President Muhammadu Buhari has abdicated the responsibilities of his office.
A statement issued by party’s spokesman, Kola Ologbondiyan, yesterday, read: “Following this revelation by no other person than the NSA, the PDP reiterates its earlier position that President Buhari should waste no further time in relinquishing his position as President since it is now obvious that he has become overwhelmed by official duties.
“The PDP holds that security is the most important element of governance, followed by the welfare of citizens and since President Buhari has relinquished these statutory responsibilities, he has no other reason to remain in office.
“The party says the NSA’s letter, which is already in the public domain, further exposes the fact that our nation has been on autopilot under President Buhari, whose abdication of serious matters of state is directly responsible for the untold suffering, anguish, pain and escalated insecurity in the country.
“The PDP describes Gen Monguno’s revelation as a national tragedy which showcases the fact that Mr President Buhari has become so irredeemably overwhelmed to the extent that the responsibilities of his office, including presiding over very sensitive security matters, have now been taken over by his Chief of Staff, Mallam Abba Kyari, who functions as a de facto President.
“Nigerians are invited to note the verdict by the NSA, who, in support of the position of the PDP, affirmed that such situation is responsible for the failure of the government to defend Nigerians and find a solution to the worsened insecurity under President Buhari’s watch.
“Our party recalls that even the First Lady, Aisha Buhari, had severally alerted that strange elements had usurped the functions of the president and urged Nigerians to speak out for their country.
“It is now clear that the demand by Nigerians calling on President Buhari to resign was borne out of patriotism and love for our country.”

Featured

WASSCE: RSG Distributes Science Materials To Secondary Schools

Published

on

The Rivers State Government has distributed science equipment and materials to all senior secondary schools across the state to support students during the ongoing West African Examinations Council exams and to strengthen practical learning.

Flagging off the distribution at the Rivers State Senior Secondary Schools Board premises in Port Harcourt, on Monday, the State Commissioner for Education, Dr. Peters Nwagor, said the move demonstrates Governor Siminalayi Fubara’s commitment to improving education standards in the State.

 Nwagor said the materials were approved and provided by the state government specifically to boost the teaching and learning of science subjects, describing science education as the foundation for technological advancement, innovation, and national development.

“No society can compete globally without deliberate investment in science and technology,” the Commissioner stated.

He commended the governor for consistently prioritising the education sector by providing tools needed for effective teaching and hands-on learning.

The Commissioner directed principals to ensure that the equipment are used strictly for practical lessons in their schools, warning that any principal or administrator found diverting, hoarding, or selling the materials wil face disciplinary action under public service regulations.

 Nwagor also warned against examination malpractice,  saying any principal found aiding or encouraging malpractices will be decisively sanctioned.

“We must collectively restore the dignity and credibility of our educational system,” he said.

Also speaking, Chairman, Rivers State Senior Secondary Schools Board, Tony Egwurugwu, urged school heads to make judicious use of the materials for students’ benefit.

He thanked the State Government for providing the resources, and assured that monitoring mechanisms would be put in place to ensure the materials serve their intended purpose.

In his own remarks,  a Board Member for Technical Education, Nwisabari Bani Samuel, expressed appreciation to the governor for prioritising education and acknowledged the Commissioner’s role in advancing education development in the State.

He  said the distribution covers all senior secondary schools in the State and is intended to improve students’ performance in both internal and external science examinations.

Akujobi Amadi

Continue Reading

Featured

Fubara Hails Workers’ Resilience, Dedication In Rivers …Hails Tinubu’s Economic Reform 

Published

on

Rivers State Governor, Sir Siminalayi Fubara,  has commended workers in the State for their resilience, dedication, and invaluable contributions to development in the State.

 

Fubara gave the commendation during the 2026 Workers’ Day celebration at Isaac Boro Park in Port Harcourt, last Friday.

 

Represented by his deputy, Prof. Ngozi Nma Odu, the governor noted that Workers’ Day, which originated from the struggle for an eight-hour workday in the United States, has evolved into a global event recognising the contributions of workers to national growth and development.

 

He described workers as the backbone of sustainable development, saying no society can thrive without their efforts.

 

Fubara commended Rivers workers for their loyalty and commitment to service, noting that workers play vital roles across key sectors, including education, healthcare, infrastructure and industry.

 

He noted that their contributions have enhanced access to quality education and healthcare, supported job creation, and stimulated economic activities across the State.

 

While acknowledging the economic challenges faced by many workers, including the rising cost of living, Fubara assured that the the State Government remains committed to implementing policies that will enhance workers’ welfare and overall well-being.

 

The governor also hailed the bold and daring economic reforms of President Bola Tinubu which, he said, have stabilized the economy, enhanced foreign exchange liquidity, lowered inflation, and achieved significant growth in the nation’s gross domestic product.

 

He noted that, in addition to raising the minimum wage, the President recently approved new welfare incentives for federal civil servants.

 

“Our economy is on an unstoppable positive path under our President, and it can only improve further for the nation and everyone. Let us continue supporting the policies and programmes of Mr President,” he said.

 

Fubara highlighted the importance of workers in revenue generation and governance, noting that taxes paid by workers enable government to provide security and essential social services.

 

He reaffirmed the State Government’s recognition of labour as a critical partner in achieving its development blueprint, appreciating workers’ daily contributions to building a peaceful, secure, and prosperous Rivers State.

 

The governor urged the organised labour to use the occasion to reaffirm its commitment to the progress of the State, while continuing to advocate for democracy, social justice, and improved welfare for workers.

 

He also expressed gratitude to workers for their service to the State and the nation, encouraging them to remain steadfast in their contributions to development.

 

In his address, the State Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Comrade Alex Agwanwor, commended Fubara for his steadfastness, genuine commitment, and passion for workers in the State.

 

He highlighted key achievements of the administration, including the implementation of the National Minimum Wage Act, the renovation of the State Secretariat, the reopening of the Rivers State Transport Company (RTC), and the consistent payment of end-of-year bonuses to public workers.

 

Comrade Agwanwor noted that workers, as drivers of productivity, understand the challenges involved in building a prosperous Rivers State, stressing that they are well-equipped to contribute meaningfully to the growth and development of the State.

 

“We have resolved not to continue complaining and lamenting while challenges persist. Instead, we must take the initiative, step out of relative obscurity, and rediscover the mission and destiny of our dear state,” he said.

 

 

Continue Reading

Featured

Fubara Pledges Support For Corporate Organisations In Rivers …Says PPP Business Model Responsible For NLNG’s Success

Published

on

Rivers State Governor, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, has pledged the  continued  support of his administration for the Nigeria Liquified Natural Gas (NLNG) Limited.

Fubara gave the assurance while receiving the new Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the NLNG, Mr Adeleye Falade, who paid him a courtesy visit at Government House, Port Harcourt.

He assured that his administration would continue to contribute its own quota in support of the NLNG.

According to him, the success of the organisation is equally the success of the government of Rivers State and the success of the Federal Government.

“Our duty is to make sure that we support whoever is operating in our state. We are the ones here. If we don’t support you and you don’t succeed, we also will not succeed and Mr President will also not succeed.

“So, the success of your establishment is the success of our state, and overall success of Nigeria. So you can count on our support. Wherever you think  we need to come in to support you, please do not hesitate to call upon us.

“You just mentioned here that your predecessor left a handover note showcasing the level of support that he got from the state. It is not going to be different in your own case. I can  assure you that.  I will also ensure that other units of the government will  liaise with you when necessary. So even if you can’t get to me, you can always get to them and if there is anything we can do to help your establishment succeed, we will do it for you,” he said.

The governor attributed the success of the NLNG to the Public Private Partnership ( PPP) business model adopted by the Federal Government and the multinational oil companies.

The NLNG is jointly owned by Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) with 49%, Shell Gas B.V. with 25.6%, Total LNG Nigeria Ltd with 15%, and Eni International with 10.4%.

The partnership model allows for shared risks, costs, and expertise in the LNG sector.

The governor noted that the NLNG has not only survived the difficult business environment but has made sustained progress in the nearly three decades of its existence.

According to him, the decision of the Federal Government to allow the multinational oil companies who have the  needed expertise to run the establishment while government plays a supervisory role over it has largely been responsible for its  success.

“I’m very proud to say that if there is one establishment that has shown resilience, that has survived in the face of all the political issues prevalent in this country, it is the NLNG. And what is the reason? The reason is very simple. Government has no business in business. That is the truth. Leave the business for those people who can operate it. Let the government play its supervisory role to ensure that there is compliance with  the laws;  ensure that standards are maintained and also ensure that the right people with the needed  expertise are at the helm of affairs. That’s all. I think that is the reason why we still record a lot of successes in NLNG,” he said.

In his opening remark, the new NLNG boss, Mr Adeleye Falade, who led other top officials of the company on the visit, expressed appreciation to the governor for granting them audience, and appealed to the State Government to continue to support the organisation.

“We appreciate the opportunity to meet with you and deepen this important relationship.We deeply value the support the Rivers State Government continues to extend in fostering an enabling operating environment for businesses. NLNG remains deliberate in its contribution to Nigeria’s development, and Rivers State, our primary host, continues to be central to that commitment,” he said.

Falade said the company has continued to work with its host communities to strengthen their  capacity to identify, prioritise, and deliver sustainable development initiatives that create lasting impact.

According to him, communities including Amadi-ama, Abua, Ekpeye, Okrika, Kalabari, and Emohua have continued to benefit from this model.

He said that beyond community infrastructure, the NLNG  has sustained investments in economic empowerment through initiatives such as Vocational Innovation and Business Empowerment Scheme (VIBES) and  Micro Small and Medium Enterprise (MSME) schemes.

These, he said, were designed  to support small businesses, build capacity, and stimulate local enterprise across the state.

Among officials of the company who accompanied the Managing Director were General Manager, External Relations and Sustainable Development, Dr Sophia Horsfall; Manager, Government Relations, Mr Abdul Umar; Manager, Community Relations, Dr. Yemi Adeyemi; Head of Government Relations, Mr Mike Igoni; Head of Community Liaison and Engagement, Chief Ifeanyi Umeh.

Others are Technical Assistant to Executive Leadership, Mr Hassan Saleh; Senior Media and Publicity Advisor, Mr Emma Nwatu; Government Relations Advisor, Miss Homa Nmegbu; Senior Government Relations Advisor, Mrs Kate Allison, and Audio -Visual Advisor, Mr Dawood Ahmed.

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending