Connect with us

News

N’Delta Elders Trade Blames Over Abandoned Projects

Published

on

Four Niger Delta elders have accused themselves over the underdevelopment of the South – South region owing to abandoned projects and Niger Delta Development Commission, (NDDC), unexecuted jobs, particularly connected to companies, which they have interests.
They are former Federal Commissioner for Information and convener of the Pan Niger Delta Forum (PANDEF), Chief Edwin Clark; former Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Elder Godsday Orubebe; Dr. Cairo Ojougboh, Acting Executive Director (Projects), of NDDC; and Senator representing Delta South, James Manager.
Orubebe, who later denied some statements, had alleged that Clark collected money for a contract and later abandoned the project, an allegation the latter described as frivolous and has no iota of truth and urged the public to disregard it
The buildup to the 2015 gubernatorial election may have marked a sharp division between Orubebe and Clark as the former met brick wall in his unsuccessful quest to woo the latter to boost his political advantage in pursuit of his ambition.
In a statement signed by the National Secretary of PANDEF, Dr. Alfred Mulade, Clark said the allegation was aimed at denting the hard-earned reputation of the former senator and elder statesman.
“A couple of days ago, a news report credited to Elder Godsday Orubebe, erstwhile Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, contains a spurious and mischievous allegation of collection of money and abandonment of certain contracts against the person and integrity of Clark.
“As Niger Delta Minister, I gave Edwin Clark contract, he took the money but didn’t do the job. Yet he said he has the interest of N/Delta at heart. This is an allegation that is completely frivolous, baseless and orchestrated to dent and malign the hard-earned reputation of our revered leader, Chief Edwin Clark.
“For purpose of emphasis and records, the contract for Land Reclamation/Shoreline Protection at Amadi-Ama, in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, was awarded to Panama Construction Ltd., a firm in which Chief Clark has interest, in 2011. The company immediately mobilised to resume active work on site, and achieved appreciable milestones.
“By the time Elder Orubebe exited the Ministry as a Minister, in search of his gubernatorial ambition, two earned valuation payment requests, which have been due since 2013, were left unpaid, by Orubebe, while he held sway as Minister and has remained unpaid, till date.
“Mr. Orubebe allegedly reported the issue to the EFCC, and upon investigation, nothing was found against Chief Clark and Panama Construction Ltd. The general public is hereby advised to discountenance this fake news, tended to smearing the personality and influence of our leader, for reasons best known to its author.”
While the dust raised by that is yet to die, NDDC Interim Committee, said it has already forwarded the name of a Senator, who allegedly got 300 NDDC jobs to the anti-corruption agencies.
Cairo Ojougboh, acting Executive Director (Projects), of NDDC disclosed to SUNDAY INDEPENDENT that the particular senator would soon be known.
Ojougboh had dropped a bombshell, when he alleged during an interview recently, that a Senator, who is also a member of the Senate Committee on NDDC, got 300 jobs for which payment had already been made without any sign that such jobs were ever done.
This also followed a report credited to Senator Manager challenging Ojoughoh to be bold and name the Senator.
“I am currently out of the country on an official trip. I have been inundated with several communications about what Ojougboh said about NDDC and a Delta Senator on award of contracts. I have always known Cairo to be a bold, fearless, courageous and tall man.
“On this matter, he appears to be a disastrous disappointment on his failure to name the particular Senator from Delta that is involved. Dr Cairo, it will do you well to do the needful. Just mention the name in public and submit same to law enforcement agencies.”
But in a swift reaction, Ojougboh fired back saying the particular senator would soon be invited by the anti-corruption agencies for questioning.
“The Commission has forwarded the matter to the anti-corruption agencies and the particular senator will soon be invited and the public will know the person soon,” he stated.
He noted that the Interim Management Committee will continue to carry out inspections and verification of abandoned and ongoing NDDC projects in the region and also ensure an enabling environment for the forensic audit to take place.

Continue Reading

News

198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class

Published

on

A total of 198 students of the University of Benin (UNIBEN ) Edo State, bagged a First Class degree out of 14,083 students to be awarded first degree at the institution’s 51st Convocation and Founder’s Day ceremony.
Vice Chancellor of UNIBEN, Prof. Edoba Omoregie, disclosed this on Monday in Benin at a pre-convocation press briefing.
He said 4,217 students bagged a Second Class Upper,  7, 928 got a Second Class Lower, while 578 bagged a Third Class degree.
He said 15 new approved programmes by the National Universities Commission (NUC) would commence in the 2025/2026 academic session.
According to him, “The wheel of progress is on course and moving steadily in the University of Benin.  This administration is poised to deliver on its mandate of effective, practical teaching, sound learning, result-oriented research and impactful community service.
“We must applaud the President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, for establishing NELFUND, and by so doing significantly reducing the financial stress of students in the process of acquiring tertiary education.   We enjoin students and their parents to take full advantage of the federal government’s benevolence in instituting the fund.”
Prof. Omoregie disclosed that Nigeria’s Minister of Regional Development, Engr. Abubakar Momoh, would deliver the Founders’ Day lecture with the topic,  “Reforms for a Shared Prosperity”.
The UNIBEN VC said Director General of the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs and Former Vice Chancellor of Igbinedion University, Okada, Edo State, Professor Eghosa Osaghae, would deliver the Convocation Lecture on the theme, “Making Our Universities Great”.
Continue Reading

News

Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council  trains tra 1,000 teachers

Published

on

The last batch of 400 public school teachers in Bayelsa State on Monday commenced training under the sponsorship of Bayelsa Education Development Trust Fund (EDTF) and the British Council.
This batch will bring to 1000 the number of public school teachers in the state who have benefited in the partnership arrangement.School supplies
The EDTF, British Council and Teachers Training, Registration and Certification Board collaborated in the capacity development programme.
Speaking at the opening ceremony of the five day capacity building program, Commissioner for Education Dr Gentle Emelah reiterated the commitment of the Bayelsa government to training and capacity of teachers in the state.
He noted that the improved teaching methodology in the state was responsible for the state producing the best student in the 2025 West African School Certificate Examinations.
Prof Ebimiowei, Executive Secretary at EDTF, noted that the collaboration is aimed at improving learning outcomes for pupils and students of public primary and secondary schools in Bayelsa.
“You will agree with me that until the cutlass is sharpened, it will have no impact on the hands of the farmer and so it is with our teachers., you need to be sharpened very well to give good delivery in your various classes and schools.
“Let me at this juncture appreciate the British Council for accepting to train 1,000 teachers, 50 education managers and 60 trainers for Bayelsa,” he said.
On his part, Chairman of the EDTF board, High Chief Fidelis Agbiki expressed appreciation to the Commissioner for Education Dr Gentle Emelah for his supportive role to the fund.
Agbiki urged the beneficiaries to justify the enormous resources invested by the government of Bayelsa by being dedicated within the five days the exercise would last.
He said; “This board will not operate on business as usual but on business unusual as we will push the frontiers outside the box to ensure that we get value for money,” Agbiki said.
 Chairman of Development Partners Committee of the EDTF applauded the commitment of the partners for the successful completion of the programme, urging them to sustain the tempo
Speaking on the programme, Mr Fwanshishak Daniel, Head, English and Schools, British Council noted that the Bayelsa government had shown exemplary commitment to educational development.
He explained that the commitment has enabled the British Council and Bayelsa government to achieve within one year greater milestones that took other states three years to achieve.
He explained that the resources of the British Council have been made available to Bayelsa with the training of 60 resource persons from the state who will in turn train other teachers to improve education.
According to Daniel, the training will lay emphasis on new teaching methods, use of digital tools for self development and access to school amongst others.
Dr Peremoboere Ogola, Acting Chairman of TTRC, which facilitated training, thanked the EDTF for supporting training of teachers in Bayelsa with world class resources of the British Council.
She noted that another batch of newly recruited teachers are currently undergoing training at State government owned University of Africa, Toru Orua, Sagbama LGA in Bayelsa
Continue Reading

News

RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE

Published

on

The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.

The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.

Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee

highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.

“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.

Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.

The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.

Continue Reading

Trending