Connect with us

News

Boko Haram Kills Two Colonels, Two Captains, 25 Soldiers …Bandits Kill 20 Persons In Sokoto

Published

on

An Army commander, and at least, 20 soldiers have been killed in an ambush by Boko Haram insurgents in Yobe State.
The troops were ambushed on their way from Borogozo in Yobe where the headquarters of the army’s 29 task force brigade to Benisheikh in Yobe, where they have a forward operating base (FOB).
A military source in Sector 2 Headquarters of Operation Lafiya Dole told newsmen that the incident happened around 6pm, last Wednesday.
“They were on their way to Benisheikh when they ran into the enemy. The commander of that brigade, a colonel, and about 20 soldiers were killed,” he said.
A reinforcement was reportedly sent to the town and it was confirmed that the brigade commander had been killed.
Among the bodies reportedly identified were that of a captain and four soldiers. Their bodies have since been moved to the 7 Division Hospital in Maiduguri, Borno State capital.
Sources said one of the soldiers who escaped the ambush has returned to the base in Benisheikh.
In June, at least, 28 soldiers were reportedly killed while the insurgents ransacked a military base in Gajiram, Nganzai Local Government Area of Borno.
However, suspected armed bandits have killed over 20 persons in Dan Tatsako village in Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State.
A source in the local government says the assailants arrived in the village at night armed with sophisticated weapons and started shooting sporadically.
He says apart from the 20 persons killed, houses and other properties were destroyed by the bandits.
He explains that survivors of the attack fled the village to seek refuge in nearby communities within Goronyo and Isa Local Government areas of Sokoto State.
The Sokoto State Police Public Relations Officer, Mohammed Sadiq, who also confirmed the attack, says the casualty figures are yet to be ascertained.
Meanwhile, an Army colonel, a captain and his four escorts, as well as driver, have been killed by rampaging Boko Haram insurgents between Mainok and Jakana along Damaturu/Maiduguri highway.
Sources revealed the Colonel and his convoy ran into some fleeing insurgents after a heavy gunfire exchange with soldiers at Jakana in an attack that lasted for hours.
A military source, who spoke with our correspondent on condition of anonymity, denied insinuations that it was an ambush.
He said: “The Colonel with his escort was just unlucky to run into the insurgents on his way from Maiduguri to Damaturu without knowledge of the ongoing attack on the highway”.
The source also confirmed that the Colonel is from 29 Task Force Brigade of Sector II of Operation Lafiya Dole.
The source also informed that the insurgents were dealt a heavy blow as one of their gun trucks was burnt and several of them killed.
Another source informed that two civilians were killed in the Jakana attack from stray bullets.
The heavily-armed fighters from the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) group were reported to have opened fire on a patrol vehicle last Wednesday near Jakana, 30 kilometres (18 miles) from Maiduguri, the state capital, killing all the soldiers on board.
“We lost all six soldiers in the ambush, including a colonel,” said the first of two military sources, who both spoke on condition of anonymity.
The soldiers were on their way to Maiduguri from Damaturu, the capital of neighbouring Yobe State, when the jihadists attacked them around 1620 GMT, said the source.
“The gun truck the soldiers were driving in was destroyed,” the second source said.
Following the ambush, the jihadists attacked a military base just outside Jakana in seven trucks fitted with machine guns, engaging troops in an hour-long battle, the sources said.
The attack was repelled by soldiers at the base, with ISWAP fighters abandoning weapons and one vehicle as they fled.
The attacks came hours after a military chief in the North-East warned terrorists in the region to disarm or be destroyed.
Major-General Abdulmalik Bulama Biu told reporters in Maiduguri that the jihadists should lay down their arms “or prepare for a fierce encounter with me”.
Meanwhile, travellers have continued to experience hardship along Maiduguri/Damaturu highway as soldiers mostly closed the use of the high way at any time they want.
Spokesman of the Nigeria Army Sector II, Lt. Njoka Irabor said: “The information available to me is still sketchy. I honestly don’t have any details now but I will get back to you as soon as possible”.
The 120-km Maiduguri-Damaturu road has seen repeated attacks, on military bases and markets in villages like Jakana, committed by ISWAP and Boko Haram fighters — the two jihadist factions operating in the region.
In December, last year, at least, 13 soldiers were killed in an ISWAP ambush near Kareto village along the highway.
The jihadists have also carried out several attacks on motorists on the highway, killing passengers and burning vehicles.
After nearly a decade, the insurgency in North-East Nigeria rages on, spilling into neighbouring Niger, Chad and Cameroon.
More than 27,000 people have been killed and some two million forced to flee their homes.
Complicating the conflict further was a split within Boko Haram in 2016, which saw the breaking away of ISWAP, a group that has sworn allegiance to IS leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
Similarly, unidentified gunmen have killed two soldiers and abducted an expatriate at the road construction site in Ukanafun Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State.
The incident was said to have occurred, last Wednesday afternoon as the expatriate engineer working with Al Madal Construction Company was inspecting the construction of Ikot Ibritam, Inen Ekeffe and Odoro Ikot to Ukanafun road project awarded by Akwa Ibom State Government.
An eyewitness, Mr Friday Idiok told newsmen that the two soldiers were killed while escorting the expatriate on routine inspection of the road project along Idim Okpok mini-bridge in Inen Ekeffe, the boundary village between Oruk Anam and Ukanafun Local Government Area of the state.
Idiok said the gunmen whisked the expatriate engineer away immediately the two soldiers were shot dead on the spot, and residents ran away for fear of arrest by security operatives.

Continue Reading

News

198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class

Published

on

A total of 198 students of the University of Benin (UNIBEN ) Edo State, bagged a First Class degree out of 14,083 students to be awarded first degree at the institution’s 51st Convocation and Founder’s Day ceremony.
Vice Chancellor of UNIBEN, Prof. Edoba Omoregie, disclosed this on Monday in Benin at a pre-convocation press briefing.
He said 4,217 students bagged a Second Class Upper,  7, 928 got a Second Class Lower, while 578 bagged a Third Class degree.
He said 15 new approved programmes by the National Universities Commission (NUC) would commence in the 2025/2026 academic session.
According to him, “The wheel of progress is on course and moving steadily in the University of Benin.  This administration is poised to deliver on its mandate of effective, practical teaching, sound learning, result-oriented research and impactful community service.
“We must applaud the President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, for establishing NELFUND, and by so doing significantly reducing the financial stress of students in the process of acquiring tertiary education.   We enjoin students and their parents to take full advantage of the federal government’s benevolence in instituting the fund.”
Prof. Omoregie disclosed that Nigeria’s Minister of Regional Development, Engr. Abubakar Momoh, would deliver the Founders’ Day lecture with the topic,  “Reforms for a Shared Prosperity”.
The UNIBEN VC said Director General of the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs and Former Vice Chancellor of Igbinedion University, Okada, Edo State, Professor Eghosa Osaghae, would deliver the Convocation Lecture on the theme, “Making Our Universities Great”.
Continue Reading

News

Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council  trains tra 1,000 teachers

Published

on

The last batch of 400 public school teachers in Bayelsa State on Monday commenced training under the sponsorship of Bayelsa Education Development Trust Fund (EDTF) and the British Council.
This batch will bring to 1000 the number of public school teachers in the state who have benefited in the partnership arrangement.School supplies
The EDTF, British Council and Teachers Training, Registration and Certification Board collaborated in the capacity development programme.
Speaking at the opening ceremony of the five day capacity building program, Commissioner for Education Dr Gentle Emelah reiterated the commitment of the Bayelsa government to training and capacity of teachers in the state.
He noted that the improved teaching methodology in the state was responsible for the state producing the best student in the 2025 West African School Certificate Examinations.
Prof Ebimiowei, Executive Secretary at EDTF, noted that the collaboration is aimed at improving learning outcomes for pupils and students of public primary and secondary schools in Bayelsa.
“You will agree with me that until the cutlass is sharpened, it will have no impact on the hands of the farmer and so it is with our teachers., you need to be sharpened very well to give good delivery in your various classes and schools.
“Let me at this juncture appreciate the British Council for accepting to train 1,000 teachers, 50 education managers and 60 trainers for Bayelsa,” he said.
On his part, Chairman of the EDTF board, High Chief Fidelis Agbiki expressed appreciation to the Commissioner for Education Dr Gentle Emelah for his supportive role to the fund.
Agbiki urged the beneficiaries to justify the enormous resources invested by the government of Bayelsa by being dedicated within the five days the exercise would last.
He said; “This board will not operate on business as usual but on business unusual as we will push the frontiers outside the box to ensure that we get value for money,” Agbiki said.
 Chairman of Development Partners Committee of the EDTF applauded the commitment of the partners for the successful completion of the programme, urging them to sustain the tempo
Speaking on the programme, Mr Fwanshishak Daniel, Head, English and Schools, British Council noted that the Bayelsa government had shown exemplary commitment to educational development.
He explained that the commitment has enabled the British Council and Bayelsa government to achieve within one year greater milestones that took other states three years to achieve.
He explained that the resources of the British Council have been made available to Bayelsa with the training of 60 resource persons from the state who will in turn train other teachers to improve education.
According to Daniel, the training will lay emphasis on new teaching methods, use of digital tools for self development and access to school amongst others.
Dr Peremoboere Ogola, Acting Chairman of TTRC, which facilitated training, thanked the EDTF for supporting training of teachers in Bayelsa with world class resources of the British Council.
She noted that another batch of newly recruited teachers are currently undergoing training at State government owned University of Africa, Toru Orua, Sagbama LGA in Bayelsa
Continue Reading

News

RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE

Published

on

The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.

The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.

Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee

highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.

“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.

Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.

The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.

Continue Reading

Trending