News
NJC Sacks Adamawa Judge, To Probe 25 Others
The National Judicial Council, NJC, yesterday constituted seven panels to investigate 25 Judges fingered in sundry financial crimes sequel to petitions from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
The legal body equally sacked Justice Michael Goji of the High Court of Adamawa State for refusing to proceed on transfer to the Mubi Judicial Division of the State High Court since July, 2017.
NJC which is headed by the Chief Justice of Nigeria, CJN, Justice Walter Onnoghen, maintained that the action of the judge amounted to gross misconduct.
Despite recommending Justice Goji for compulsory retirement to Governor Bindo Umaru Jibrilla of Adamawa State based on the advice of the State Judicial Service Commission, NJC, in a statement signed by its Director of Information, Mr. Soji Oye, directed the embattled Judge to immediately vacate his office, as well as to refund salaries he received in the last 10 months.
The Council said it took the decision at the end of its 86th Meeting which was held on May 8 and 9 May. According to the statement, “The Adamawa State Judicial Commission had conducted an investigation on the conduct of Hon. Mr. Justice Goji, following the directive of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, after receiving the complaint of his misconduct from the Adamawa State Chief Judge.
“Aside from the recommendation for compulsory retirement, Council also directed that he should refund all salaries received by him from July, 2017 till date, failing which the Adamawa State Government is to deduct the amount from any entitlement due to him and remit same to the National Judicial Council which pays salaries of all Judicial Officers in the Federation.
“In the interim, the Council in exercise of its disciplinary powers under the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999, as amended, has suspended Hon. Mr. Justice Goji from office pending his removal from office”.
Meantime, NJC said it considered reports of various Investigation Committees and dismissed petition written against Justice Paul Adamu Galinje of the Supreme Court, and against Chief Judges of Jigawa and Enugu States, Justice Aminu Sabo Ringim and Justice Peter Umeadi, respectively.
“The petition against Hon. Mr. Justice Paul Adamu Galinje of the Supreme Court was dismissed sequel to its withdrawal by Hon. Yaro Abarshi and Hon. John Yobi Yarafa and others, who alleged that he interfered in a Chieftaincy matter in Taraba State”.
“The petition against Hon. Mr. Justice Aminu Sabo Ringim was also dismissed because the Petitioner, Dr Jamil Gwamna who wrote to Babatunde Raji Fashola, SAN, Minister of Power and Works who in turn forwarded same to the National Judicial Council, withdrew the petition”.
“The allegation was that the Hon. Judge ordered the arrest, assault, and detention of staff of Kano Electricity Distribution Company (KEDCO) when they disconnected the electricity at the State High Court and the Judge’s house for non-payment of bills.
“The Committee that investigated the matter found that the Petitioner could not show or prove that Hon. Mr. Justice Ringim instructed or directed the arrest of KEDCO’s staff.
“Council did not find any reason to further investigate Hon. Mr. Justices Paul Galinje and Aminu Ringim after the withdrawals.
“Petitions written against twenty-five (25) Judicial Officers and others by EFCC were also considered by Council after which it resolved to empanel seven (7) Committees to look into the allegations.
“Petitions against various Judges were dismissed for, lack of establishment of misconduct, being subjudice or that such petitions were matters for appeal.
“The dismissed petitions were against Hon. Mr. Justices A. I. Chikere and J. T Tsoho, Emeka Nwite and Nnamdi Dimgba of the Federal High Court, Hon. Mr. Justice Adetokunbo Banjoko of FCT High Court, Hon. Mr. Justice Taminu Zailani, Chief Judge, Kaduna, Hon. Mr. Justice M. A. Adeigbe, High Court, Osun State (who had already retired from the Bench), and Hon. Mr. Justice E. N. Ogbuiji, High Court, Rivers State.
“Council at the Meeting also recommended twenty-one (21) Judges for appointment as Chief Judges, Grand Kadi, High Court Judges, Sharia Court Kadis, President, Customary Court of Appeal, and one (1) Member, Code of Conduct Tribunal.
“Council also received the Report of the Performance Evaluation Committee of Judicial Officers of Superior Courts of Record in the Federation on sixteen (16) Judges invited by the Committee to explain their low performance in the last two (2) to four (4) quarters in the year 2017”, the statement further read.
News
198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class
News
Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council trains tra 1,000 teachers
News
RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE
The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.
The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.
Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee
highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.
“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.
Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.
The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.
