Connect with us

News

Osinbajo Orders Rescue Of NNPC, UNIMAID Staff …Army Retracts Statement

Published

on

The Acting President, Prof Yemi Osinbajo, yesterday, ordered security operatives to immediately locate and rescue all those abducted recently by the Boko Haram sect while carrying out oil exploration research in the Lake Chad Basin Frontier Exploration.
The order was contained in a statement made available to newsmen in Abuja by the Senior Special Assistant to the Acting President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Laolu Akande.
Akande quoted the acting president as saying that those who carried out the ambush, which he described as an unacceptable and criminal conduct, must be brought to justice.
He said Osinbajo, after an emergency meeting with military chiefs, last Thursday, issued fresh directives to the Nigerian military and all security agencies to immediately scale-up their efforts and activities in Borno State in order to maintain a strong, effective control of the situation and secure lives and property.
The statement read, “while commending the military for the progress already recorded with the rescue of some of the abducted, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo has also ordered the continuation of search and rescue missions to locate and ensure the freedom of all remaining abducted persons as soon as possible, using all available and expedient means in the circumstances.
“He adds that justice would be pursued for the victims and against those who engage in this kind of unacceptable, criminal and terrorist conduct.
“Acting President Osinbajo pays tribute to the resilience, courage and bravery of officers and men of the Nigerian Armed Forces for their gallant endeavours and sacrifices for the peace, security and territorial integrity of our country.
“He eulogises the Nigerian soldiers who have paid the ultimate price in this mission and others linked to the current insurgency and gives a firm assurance that the welfare of the families of the soldiers will be prioritized.
“He also commends the diligence of the management and staff of the NNPC, and the lecturers/consultants from the University of Maiduguri in pursuing Federal Government’s resolve to grow our country’s current crude oil reserve base through potential exploration in the Lake Chad Basin, stressing that the government will by no means be dissuaded.”
Osinbajo was further quoted as saying that the nation would never forget the sacrifice of the officials who he said put their lives on the line the current and future generations of Nigerians would the resources of the land.
He noted that the objective of the patriotic exercise carried out by the victims was to open up new areas for oil exploration for the common good of all Nigerians.
He regretted that the terrorist attack resulted in a number of deaths of hardworking and innocent Nigerians, and the abduction of some.
The acting president described the victims as “extraordinarily selfless Nigerians from the NNPC and the University of Maiduguri,” saying they “put their lives on the line that we and generations to come will enjoy the resources of this land. We will never forget that sacrifice.”
Osinbajo also paid “tribute to the resilience, courage and bravery of officers and men of the Nigerian Armed Forces for their gallant endeavours and sacrifices.”
He commiserated with the families, relatives and associates of those who lost their lives in the onslaught and wished the injured speedy recovery.
Last week, Boko Haram attacked some geologists and their aides who were on an oil exploration to Lake Chad Basin when they were ambushed.
The Army has since confirmed that at least 14 soldiers, 11 civilian joint task force (CJTF), and five staff of the university were killed in the attack and subsequent rescue efforts.
The university staff were subcontracted by the NNPC for the exploration exercise.
At least, four staff of the university are still missing with three of them in the custody of the terror group.
The three were shown in a recent Boko Haram video begging the government to negotiate for their release.
“Osinbajo condemns the appalling ambush, attack and abduction of soldiers, and civilians who were carrying out their duties to the nation in the Lake Chad Basin Frontier Exploration,” the statement added.
Meanwhile, the Nigerian Army has expressed regrets over a statement it issued following the ambush and abduction of some oil workers in Borno State by Boko Haram terrorists.
This comes four days after the ambush and a day after Boko Haram released a video of three of the abducted members of the oil exploration team.
It would be recalled that a day after the incident, the Army had said the oil workers had been rescued.
However, the Director, Army Public Relations, Brig-Gen Sani Usman, said the initial statement was regrettable.
He disclosed this in a fresh statement, yesterday, which revealed that 21 more bodies of those ambushed had been recovered.
Describing the ambush as “as unfortunate and highly regrettable”, Usman said his initial statement that all the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) workers abducted in the ambush had been rescued was wrong.
“Most regrettable also is my earlier release on the said incident about the rescue of all NNPC staff. The error in the statement was not deliberate,” he said.
He assured Nigerians that the Army “in this present dispensation is reputed for timely dissemination of information on activities of our troops in all theatre of operations”.
He added, “We have strived to keep the public informed on our activities with no intention of distorting any fact.
“Our troops have doubled efforts in the pursuit of the Boko Haram terrorists while search and rescue are still ongoing to secure the safe return of the remaining civilians.”
While reassuring Nigerians of its commitment to tackling the terrorists, the Nigerian Army condoled with the families of all that lost their loved ones in the ambush.
For those still missing, it said search and rescue efforts are ongoing, adding, “We are counting on the goodwill and support of the populace in volunteering valuable information that could help in the search and rescue operation.”
On the renewed attacks by the terrorists, it said, “What the remnants of the Boko Haram are doing is pure criminal activities of kidnapping to gain funds. This has been noted and will be jointly addressed in conjunction with other Security Services.”

Continue Reading

News

198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class

Published

on

A total of 198 students of the University of Benin (UNIBEN ) Edo State, bagged a First Class degree out of 14,083 students to be awarded first degree at the institution’s 51st Convocation and Founder’s Day ceremony.
Vice Chancellor of UNIBEN, Prof. Edoba Omoregie, disclosed this on Monday in Benin at a pre-convocation press briefing.
He said 4,217 students bagged a Second Class Upper,  7, 928 got a Second Class Lower, while 578 bagged a Third Class degree.
He said 15 new approved programmes by the National Universities Commission (NUC) would commence in the 2025/2026 academic session.
According to him, “The wheel of progress is on course and moving steadily in the University of Benin.  This administration is poised to deliver on its mandate of effective, practical teaching, sound learning, result-oriented research and impactful community service.
“We must applaud the President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, for establishing NELFUND, and by so doing significantly reducing the financial stress of students in the process of acquiring tertiary education.   We enjoin students and their parents to take full advantage of the federal government’s benevolence in instituting the fund.”
Prof. Omoregie disclosed that Nigeria’s Minister of Regional Development, Engr. Abubakar Momoh, would deliver the Founders’ Day lecture with the topic,  “Reforms for a Shared Prosperity”.
The UNIBEN VC said Director General of the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs and Former Vice Chancellor of Igbinedion University, Okada, Edo State, Professor Eghosa Osaghae, would deliver the Convocation Lecture on the theme, “Making Our Universities Great”.
Continue Reading

News

Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council  trains tra 1,000 teachers

Published

on

The last batch of 400 public school teachers in Bayelsa State on Monday commenced training under the sponsorship of Bayelsa Education Development Trust Fund (EDTF) and the British Council.
This batch will bring to 1000 the number of public school teachers in the state who have benefited in the partnership arrangement.School supplies
The EDTF, British Council and Teachers Training, Registration and Certification Board collaborated in the capacity development programme.
Speaking at the opening ceremony of the five day capacity building program, Commissioner for Education Dr Gentle Emelah reiterated the commitment of the Bayelsa government to training and capacity of teachers in the state.
He noted that the improved teaching methodology in the state was responsible for the state producing the best student in the 2025 West African School Certificate Examinations.
Prof Ebimiowei, Executive Secretary at EDTF, noted that the collaboration is aimed at improving learning outcomes for pupils and students of public primary and secondary schools in Bayelsa.
“You will agree with me that until the cutlass is sharpened, it will have no impact on the hands of the farmer and so it is with our teachers., you need to be sharpened very well to give good delivery in your various classes and schools.
“Let me at this juncture appreciate the British Council for accepting to train 1,000 teachers, 50 education managers and 60 trainers for Bayelsa,” he said.
On his part, Chairman of the EDTF board, High Chief Fidelis Agbiki expressed appreciation to the Commissioner for Education Dr Gentle Emelah for his supportive role to the fund.
Agbiki urged the beneficiaries to justify the enormous resources invested by the government of Bayelsa by being dedicated within the five days the exercise would last.
He said; “This board will not operate on business as usual but on business unusual as we will push the frontiers outside the box to ensure that we get value for money,” Agbiki said.
 Chairman of Development Partners Committee of the EDTF applauded the commitment of the partners for the successful completion of the programme, urging them to sustain the tempo
Speaking on the programme, Mr Fwanshishak Daniel, Head, English and Schools, British Council noted that the Bayelsa government had shown exemplary commitment to educational development.
He explained that the commitment has enabled the British Council and Bayelsa government to achieve within one year greater milestones that took other states three years to achieve.
He explained that the resources of the British Council have been made available to Bayelsa with the training of 60 resource persons from the state who will in turn train other teachers to improve education.
According to Daniel, the training will lay emphasis on new teaching methods, use of digital tools for self development and access to school amongst others.
Dr Peremoboere Ogola, Acting Chairman of TTRC, which facilitated training, thanked the EDTF for supporting training of teachers in Bayelsa with world class resources of the British Council.
She noted that another batch of newly recruited teachers are currently undergoing training at State government owned University of Africa, Toru Orua, Sagbama LGA in Bayelsa
Continue Reading

News

RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE

Published

on

The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.

The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.

Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee

highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.

“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.

Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.

The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.

Continue Reading

Trending