Politics
As Amaechi Awaits Ministerial Screening
They came in their numbers. They came representing themselves and the state Executive Council of former Governor Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi. They came united. They came to explain their actions and inactions. They came to tell their own story of their alleged recklessness and impropriety while in power as individuals and as a group.
They were the powerful men and women that called the shots under the last administration in Rivers State. Not all of them were indicted and required to refund various sums of money or be prosecuted according to the White Paper released by the state government on the Justice George Omereji–led Judicial Commission of Inquiry that investigated the sale of some state assets. But they came together because injury to one is injury to all and what affects all, affects one in the same degree sometimes.
Indeed, they made a lot of collective decisions, even though individuals were assigned to execute them. They came knowing that in the principle of collective responsibility, condemnation and commendation are also to be shared. They came knowing that how the Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi’s administration is perceived cannot be different from how each of them will be seen as well.
When they came, they did not come like people who were being hounded or harassed. They came boldly. They came with the full compliment of their security details.
The turn-out was impressive and there could not be a better representation of the former members of the Rivers State Executive Council under Amaechi. A roll call of former commissioners who were present to brief the press at the Ernest Ikoli Press Centre, Moscow Road, Port Harcourt on Saturday, October 10, 2015 buttresses the point.
Leading the group was the former Commissioner for Information and Communication, Mrs Ibim Semenitari. Others were Sir Victor Giadom (Works), Sir Augustine Nwokocha (Power), Mr George Tolofari (Transport), Dr Chamberlain Peterside (Finance), Mr Mbombo Igwe (Sports), Mr Gogo Charles Levi (Budget and Economic Planning), Mr Emmanuel Chinda (Agriculture), Mr Joe Poroma (Social Welfare and Rehabilitation), Dr Ipalibo Hary (Employment Generation), Mrs Joeba West (Women Affairs) and Mr Ezemonye Ezekiel- Amadi (Lands).
The rest were Mr Samuel Eyiba (Local Governemnt Affairs), Mr Charles Okaye (Chieftaincy and Community Affairs), Mr Nabbs Imegi (Culture and Tourism), and Mr Dickson Omunakwe (Special Duties). Among them also was Mr Goodlife Nmekini, former Special Adviser to the governor on ICT
“This press briefing has become imperative following the recent spate of attacks on the former governor and allegations of corruption against the regime”, Mrs. Semenitari said, adding that the briefing was mainly intended to set the records straight in keeping with the tradition of maintaining a “transparent and accountable stewardship”.
Reading from a prepared script off her ipad computer, she restated the position of the group with regard to the Justice George Omereji judicial commission of inquiry as earlier espoused by Bar. Wogu Boms, former Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice to the effect that they believe that the commission was not only illegal but that both the governor, Chief Nyesom Wike and the chairman were biased and had predetermined the indictment of both the former governor and some otherS invited to give evidence at the sitting of the commission.
However, the former spokeswoman of the past administration said the former commissioners considered it worthwhile to “reiterate our position previously espoused on the matters raised by the commission” even though the same explanations were all contained in the handover notes they had submitted to the Secretary to the State Government and to the Permanent Secretaries of their various ministries, departments and agencies before finally leaving office.
Beginning with the monorail project down to the state reserve fund, she made spirited and detailed explanation of not only the financial transactions but also the conceptions, approvals and expected benefits of the projects and transactions to Rivers people.
According to the former commissioner, the decision to construct the Rivers monorail project was adopted by the Rivers State Executive Council during the first tenure of the Rotimi Amaechi government when the current governor, Nyesom Wike was Chief of Staff to the governor. She also alleged that the former Deputy Governor, Tele Ikuru headed an Executive Council Committee that recommended the sole sponsorship of the project by the Rivers State Government when TSI Property nd Investment Holdings Limited pulled out of the project because of her inability to contribute her own 80% equity contribution in 2008.
She said “the first phase of the project (2.6km stretch) could be said to have been technically completed” at the time their government left office and wondered why the state government would still be requesting the sum of N33bn from the handlers of the project on the Agricultural Credit Scheme. She explained that while a total of N4bn was earmarked, about N3.1bn was disbursed to 380 mother cooperatives leaving a balance of about N900million, adding that proceeds from the sale of the power assets of the Rivers State Government amounting to N33bn was captured in the 2014 Budget as one of the sources of revenue.
“Once the funds were received into RSVG account, they were used alongside others from other revenue sources to finance various government projects and activities”, she said.
Explaining the situation with the 1000-bed (Justice Adolphus Karibi-Whyte) mega specialist hospital contract, Mrs. Semenitari said the sum of N4.6bn was released while work done by Clinotech (including material at site) amounted to N3.9bn. She debunked insinuations of unlawful enrichment and criminal conspiracy to convert public funds to private use against the former governor as far as this project is concerned.
In the same vein, she insisted that the N53bn in the Rivers State Reserved Fund did not disappear and that the account did not at any point in time harbour up to N96bn.
Aided by the former Commissioner for Finance, the chief information officer of the Amaechi administration said only the sum of N54bn was withdrawn in two tranches from that account.
“The fund had a Net Asset Value of over One Billion, Two Hundred Million (N1,200,000,000.00) only at the end of the administration in May 2015”, she said.
According to Mr. Emmanuel Chinda, former Commissioner for Agriculture, the Justice George Omereji Judicial Commission of Inquiry was nothing but a witch-hunt panel. “It is politics”, he said, adding that Governor Nyesom WIke was still engaged in political campaign to discredit political opponents in order to gain political relevance and acceptance.
But one thing is central to their defence of Amaechi’s government of which they were part of. It was to clear Amaechi’s name and prepare ground for his clearance and confirmation by the Senate as a minister, especially in view of the allegations of huge financial impropriety leveled against the former governor and some of his commissioners by the judicial commission of inquiry headed by Justice Omereji and the White Paper already released by the Rivers State Government is yet to begin.
Addressing the press penultimate Friday on the White Paper, Emma Okah, Commissioner for Housing, Rivers State, disclosed the intention of the government to prosecute former Governor Rotimi Amaechi, Brigadier General Anthony Ukpo (rtd), a former Military Administrator of the state, and several other former officials of the state for allegedly misappropriating a total sum of N97 billion of public funds.
“The commission finds as a fact that the sale of 70 per cent equity from the First Independent Power Limited in Omoku Gas Turbine, Trans-Amadi Gas Turbine, Afam Phase I Gas Turbine and Eleme Gas Turbine, has been very difficult to justify. They have therefore recommended the review of sale of the power assets and the government of Rivers State has accepted that recommendation,” Mr Okah said.
He futher disclosed that “The commission recommends that the former Governor of Rivers State, Chibuike Amaechi, along with his former Commissioners for Finance and Power, Dr Chamberlain Peterside and Augustine Nwokocha, respectively, should be held to account for their roles in the sale of the power generation assets of First Independent Power Limited and the disbursement of the proceeds there from.” He added that “Government accepts that recommendation and directs the office of the Honourable Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, to promptly set in motion the appropriate machinery for the recovery of the proceeds of the sale of the gas turbines from the former governor, Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi and every other persons implicated in the commission’s report.”
Okah further stated that the Rivers State Government intends to recover the sum of N3 billion agricultural loan which was disbursed to agric cooperatives as grants under the supervision of Mr Emma Chinda, former Commissioner for Agriculture.
To Mrs Ibim Semenitari, former Governor Chibuike Amaechi “is a shining star and we are proud of him.”
But all the members representing the people of Rivers State in the National Asembly think otherwise. A Port Harcourt-based Integrity Group has also not relented in telling everyone that cares to listen, including the EFCC, the Senate and every other anti-corruption agency, the alleged mountain of financial sins of the former state chief executive. On the heels of all of them is the indictment by the Government White Paper on the Judicial Commission of Inquiry that was released on Friday, October 11, 2015 amongst others.
As Amaechi takes his turn before the Senate tomorrow, Tuesday, October 20, 2015 for screening as a ministerial nominee, he will be appearing clearly as the most challenged, most vehemently opposed and the most controversial nominee whether he succeeds or not.
Politics
FG’s Economic Policies Not Working – APC Chieftain
A senator who represented Taraba Central, Mr Abubakar Yusuf, has declared that the economic policies of President Bola Tinubu are not yielding the expected results.
His comment is one of the strongest internal critiques yet from within the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
The comment underscores the growing dissatisfaction within sections of the ruling party over the direction and impact of the administration’s economic reforms amid rising living costs and fiscal pressures across the country.
Mr Yusuf, who served in the Senate between 2015 and 2023 under the platform of the APC, made the remarks during an appearance on national television.
Responding to a question on whether the administration’s economic direction, often referred to as Tinubunomics, was working, Mr Yusuf answered in the contrary.
“For me, it is not working. I am a member of the APC. I would be the last person to hide the facts”, he said.
He said while the government might be operating diligently within its policy structure, the framework itself is ill-suited to Nigeria’s current realities
“Within the policy framework, yes, they are doing their best, but it is not the framework that is suitable for Nigeria at the point in time that President Asiwaju came into power,” he said.
Mr Yusuf criticised the immediate removal of fuel subsidy on the day the president was sworn in, arguing that the decision lacked sufficient consultation and planning.
“I am one of those who say President Asiwaju ought to have waited. Not on the day he was sworn in to say subsidy is gone. On what basis?”, he asked.
He urged broader engagement before major fiscal decisions are taken.
“Sit down with your cabinet, sit down with your ministers, sit down with your advisers,” he said, dismissing the argument that subsidy removal was justified solely on grounds of corruption.
The former lawmaker identified “structural flaws” in the country’s budgeting system, particularly the envelope budgeting model.
“One of the basic problems is that before you budget, you should have a plan. The envelope system we have been operating has been you budget before you plan. That has been a major issue”, he said.
He argued that allocating spending ceilings without aligning them to concrete development strategies inevitably weakens implementation and delivery.
“If you give me an envelope which is contrary to my plan, whether it is plus or minus, there is no way I am going to implement my plan. It is bound to fail,” he said.
Mr Yusuf called for the scrapping of the envelope budgeting system, noting that he had consistently opposed it even during his years in the National Assembly.
“It is not good for us. It is not going to work well for us,” he said.
He further blamed poor capital releases and persistent deficit financing for undermining budget performance over the years.
“We could not meet 60 percent of our capital budget in all these years. No releases. If you make a budget and the release is very poor, there is no way the budget will be executed”, he stated.
According to him, weak fund disbursement mechanisms and reliance on deficit financing have entrenched a cycle of underperformance.
“Our budget ought to have been a surplus budget, but all our budgets have always been deficit financing budgets,” Mr Yusuf added.
Politics
Reps To Meet,’Morrow Over INEC’s 2027 Election Timetable
The Nigerian House of Representatives has resolved to reconvene for an emergency session tomorrow February 17, 2026, to deliberate on issues arising from the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) release of the timetable for the 2027 general elections.
The decision was disclosed in a statement issued by the House Spokesman, Rep. Akin Rotimi, who described the electoral body’s announcement as one of “constitutional and national significance.”
INEC had fixed February 20, 2027, for the Presidential and National Assembly elections.
According to the statement, members of the Green Chamber were notified of the emergency sitting through an internal memorandum from the Speaker’s office.
The session is expected to focus on legislative matters connected to the newly released timetable, reflecting the House’s resolve to act promptly on issues affecting the nation’s democratic process.
Rep. Rotimi noted that all related businesses would be treated with urgency and urged lawmakers to prioritise attendance in view of the importance of the deliberations.
INEC had on Friday formally unveiled the comprehensive schedule for the 2027 polls, including timelines for party primaries slated for July to September 2026, as well as the commencement of Continuous Voter Registration in April 2026.
The development comes amid ongoing consultations and proposed amendments to the Electoral Act ahead of the 2027 general elections.
Politics
Group Continues Push For Real Time Election Results Transmission
As the controversy over the transmission of election results continues across the country, the Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), a pro democracy organisation in the country, has criticised the National Assembly for not giving express approval to real time transmission of elections results.
To this end, the group is calling on all civil society organisations in the country to mobilise and push for a better Electoral Reform in the country.
This was contained in a press statement titled, “Defence For Human Rights and Democracy Demands Real Time Election Transmission of Result”, a copy of which was made available to newsmen in Port Harcourt.
The group described the refusal of compulsory real time transmission of result results by the Senate as undemocratic, adding that the situation will give room for election manipulation, rigging and voters apathy.
It said that the provision of mandatory real time transmission of election results would have significant improvement on the nation’s democracy.
According to the statement, “Since the return of democracy in 1999 to date, it is 27 years, so our Democracy has metamorphosed from being nascent and as such significant improvement should have been recorded.
“Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), is really disappointed at the National Assembly, especially the upper chamber (Senate) for not approving ‘Real Time Electronic Transmission of Election Result’.
“This undemocratic act of theirs, if not tamed, will give room for election manipulation and rigging’”.
Signed by Comrade Clifford Christopher Solomon on behalf of the organisation, the statement further said, “The Defence For Human Rights and Democracy unequivocally supports real time transmission of election result”, stressing that his group will resist any act by the National Assembly to undermine the nation’s democracy.
“DHRD,unequivocally supports ‘True Democracy’, which is Government of the people, by the people and for the people.
“Therefore, anything that will crash the hope of Nigerians to Freely, Fairly and Transparently elect candidates of their choice in any given election should and will be vehemently resisted because good governance begins with leaders elected through credible process. By so doing, leaders have entered a social contract with the citizens to equitably manage their affairs and abundant resources”, the statement added.
It urged the National Assembly to revisit the issue in order to avoid civil unrest.
According to the DHRD, “To avoid civil unrest,voters apathy, election rigging and manipulation, rather to promote citizens participation, advancing our Democracy and entrenching free, fair, credible and acceptable electoral outcome, the National Assembly should amend the electoral act in a manner that will deepen our democracy and boost citizens confidence.
“On this note, The Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), is calling on all other civil society organisations (CSOs) to mobilise, organise and push for a better electoral act amendment by the National Assembly”.
By: John Bibor
-
Sports5 days ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Politics5 days ago
ADC, PDP, LP Missing As INEC Set For By- Elections In Rivers
-
Environment4 days agoOxfam, partners celebrate 5 years of climate governance programmes in Nigeria
-
Politics4 days ago
FG’s Economic Policies Not Working – APC Chieftain
-
News4 days agoVictory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures
-
Politics4 days ago2027: Diri Unveils RHA LG Coordinators, APC Congress Panel
-
Politics4 days agoReps To Meet,’Morrow Over INEC’s 2027 Election Timetable
-
Politics4 days agoGroup Continues Push For Real Time Election Results Transmission
