Connect with us

News

ASUU: FG Withdraws Sack Threat

Published

on

The Federal Government, yesterday, said  it was withdrawing the ultimatum given to striking university lecturers to resume or be sacked following appeals from well-meaning Nigerians and substantial compliance with the directive by some members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).

According to the Federal Government, the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN had confirmed that a sum of two hundred billion Naira agreed with ASUU at a meeting with President Goodluck Jonathan on the 5th of November, 2013 had been fully paid into a Revitalization of Universities Infrastructure Account.

Addressing journalists, the Senior Special Assistant (SSA) to the President on Public Affairs, Dr. Doyin Okupe who showed to newsmen the CBN letter which was signed by the Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Mr Tunde Lemo and addressed to the Accountant General of the Federation, confirmed that the total sum of two hundred billion Naira was the balance in the account as required.

Okupe who noted that what the federal government was interested in how to resolve the six month old crisis in a peaceful manner for the overall interest of all concerned, said, “right now, the issue of ultimatum is not a matter for discussion anymore. There has been substantial compliance nationwide. If I say you must return to work on the 9th and 70% of the people that I am talking to have returned to work, that is substantial compliance.”

Meanwhile, (ASUU) yesterday, declared a three day fasting and prayer to seek divine intervention in the protracted dispute between the Federal Government and the union.

The decision to embark on spiritual intervention came during the union’s congress held at the Faculty of Arts, University of Ibadan.

The congress which was presided over by the Chairman of UI chapter of ASUU, Dr. Olusegun Ajiboye, stressed the need for God to help Nigerian leaders to do the needful and document the resolutions of their meeting with the President.

The congress which expressed optimism that the strike would end soon listed three prayer points to include: “the need for God to touch the heart of the Federal Government to be committed towards funding public education and develop the nation.

They also asked God to protect the leadership of ASUU as they travel and that the purpose of the strike is actualized by placing universities in the league of world class institutions.”

Speaking after the congress, Dr. Ajiboye said the union did not need newspaper confirmation from the President that N200billion has been deposited with the Central Bank of Nigeria.

He said it was impossible for anybody who had not opened an account with a bank to request the bank for a balance.

Meanwhile, the Federal Government has summoned all pro-chancellors and vice chancellors of federal and state universities to a meeting in Abuja tomorrow following the adamant posture of some of the university lecturers to the ultimatum handed down by the Federal Government.

Although, authorities of some universities had responded to the Federal Government’s directive and ordered their staff and students to resume for normal academic activities, majority of the universities and lecturers were yet to comply with the directive.

The meeting at the instance of the Supervising Minister of Education, Mr Nyesom Wike, is slated for today, Wednesday, December 11, 2013 and would be held at the National Universities Commission (NUC) auditorium, a statement signed by the Executive Secretary of NUC said.

According to the statement, “the vice chancellors are to come to the meeting with a list of their prioritised projects based on the Needs Assessment Report for funding. In addition, vice chancellors of state universities must come along with their account details.”

The members of the IMC are the Minister of Education; Executive Secretary of NUC, Executive Secretary of Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund); representatives of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Committee of Vice Chancellors, Committee of Pro-Chancellors, ASUU, Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU), the National Association of Academic Technologists (NAAT) and Academic Staff Union of Non-Universities (NASU) with the Director, Tertiary in the Federal Ministry of Education as Secretary.

Federal Government had, last week, issued a directive to governing councils and vice chancellors in all the public universities to re-open the institutions on December 9, with a sack threat to any defaulting lecturer.

The development had infuriated the striking lecturers who insisted that they were ready to be sacked en masse and that they would not return to classrooms unless their fresh conditions were met. These include settling of their four months salary arrears and disbursement of the N200 billion intervention fund and harmonising as well as signing the Memorandum of Understanding on agreement reached with President Goodluck Jonathan.

The proposed meeting with the pro-chancellors and vice chancellors was to ensure that all the federal universities enforce the directive of the government.

It was not clear whether the meeting was called to disburse the N200 billion the government said it had deposited in an account with the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), which ASUU was insisting must be communicated to it formally.

President of ASUU, Dr Nasir Fagge Isa, said the lecturers were not moved by the N200 billion that the Federal Government announced that it had deposited with the CBN.

Protest by Ogoni youths who marked the World Human Rights Day by blocking East-West Road, to draw attention of the Federal Government to the non-implementaton of the UNEP report, yesterday.

Protest by Ogoni youths who marked the World Human Rights Day by blocking East-West Road, to draw attention of the Federal Government to the non-implementaton of the UNEP report, yesterday.

Continue Reading

News

198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class

Published

on

A total of 198 students of the University of Benin (UNIBEN ) Edo State, bagged a First Class degree out of 14,083 students to be awarded first degree at the institution’s 51st Convocation and Founder’s Day ceremony.
Vice Chancellor of UNIBEN, Prof. Edoba Omoregie, disclosed this on Monday in Benin at a pre-convocation press briefing.
He said 4,217 students bagged a Second Class Upper,  7, 928 got a Second Class Lower, while 578 bagged a Third Class degree.
He said 15 new approved programmes by the National Universities Commission (NUC) would commence in the 2025/2026 academic session.
According to him, “The wheel of progress is on course and moving steadily in the University of Benin.  This administration is poised to deliver on its mandate of effective, practical teaching, sound learning, result-oriented research and impactful community service.
“We must applaud the President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, for establishing NELFUND, and by so doing significantly reducing the financial stress of students in the process of acquiring tertiary education.   We enjoin students and their parents to take full advantage of the federal government’s benevolence in instituting the fund.”
Prof. Omoregie disclosed that Nigeria’s Minister of Regional Development, Engr. Abubakar Momoh, would deliver the Founders’ Day lecture with the topic,  “Reforms for a Shared Prosperity”.
The UNIBEN VC said Director General of the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs and Former Vice Chancellor of Igbinedion University, Okada, Edo State, Professor Eghosa Osaghae, would deliver the Convocation Lecture on the theme, “Making Our Universities Great”.
Continue Reading

News

Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council  trains tra 1,000 teachers

Published

on

The last batch of 400 public school teachers in Bayelsa State on Monday commenced training under the sponsorship of Bayelsa Education Development Trust Fund (EDTF) and the British Council.
This batch will bring to 1000 the number of public school teachers in the state who have benefited in the partnership arrangement.School supplies
The EDTF, British Council and Teachers Training, Registration and Certification Board collaborated in the capacity development programme.
Speaking at the opening ceremony of the five day capacity building program, Commissioner for Education Dr Gentle Emelah reiterated the commitment of the Bayelsa government to training and capacity of teachers in the state.
He noted that the improved teaching methodology in the state was responsible for the state producing the best student in the 2025 West African School Certificate Examinations.
Prof Ebimiowei, Executive Secretary at EDTF, noted that the collaboration is aimed at improving learning outcomes for pupils and students of public primary and secondary schools in Bayelsa.
“You will agree with me that until the cutlass is sharpened, it will have no impact on the hands of the farmer and so it is with our teachers., you need to be sharpened very well to give good delivery in your various classes and schools.
“Let me at this juncture appreciate the British Council for accepting to train 1,000 teachers, 50 education managers and 60 trainers for Bayelsa,” he said.
On his part, Chairman of the EDTF board, High Chief Fidelis Agbiki expressed appreciation to the Commissioner for Education Dr Gentle Emelah for his supportive role to the fund.
Agbiki urged the beneficiaries to justify the enormous resources invested by the government of Bayelsa by being dedicated within the five days the exercise would last.
He said; “This board will not operate on business as usual but on business unusual as we will push the frontiers outside the box to ensure that we get value for money,” Agbiki said.
 Chairman of Development Partners Committee of the EDTF applauded the commitment of the partners for the successful completion of the programme, urging them to sustain the tempo
Speaking on the programme, Mr Fwanshishak Daniel, Head, English and Schools, British Council noted that the Bayelsa government had shown exemplary commitment to educational development.
He explained that the commitment has enabled the British Council and Bayelsa government to achieve within one year greater milestones that took other states three years to achieve.
He explained that the resources of the British Council have been made available to Bayelsa with the training of 60 resource persons from the state who will in turn train other teachers to improve education.
According to Daniel, the training will lay emphasis on new teaching methods, use of digital tools for self development and access to school amongst others.
Dr Peremoboere Ogola, Acting Chairman of TTRC, which facilitated training, thanked the EDTF for supporting training of teachers in Bayelsa with world class resources of the British Council.
She noted that another batch of newly recruited teachers are currently undergoing training at State government owned University of Africa, Toru Orua, Sagbama LGA in Bayelsa
Continue Reading

News

RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE

Published

on

The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.

The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.

Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee

highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.

“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.

Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.

The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.

Continue Reading

Trending