News
Special Courts Will Check Oil Theft -JTF
The Joint Task Force in the Niger Delta, known as Operation Pulo Shield, on Wednesday lauded the idea of establishing a special court to try oil thieves in the region.
The National Economic Council last month approved the establishment of a special court to try suspected oil thieves with existing legislation to expedite prosecution of suspects.
The JTF spokesman, Lt.-Col. Onyema Nwachukwu, made the commendation in an interview with newsmen in Yenagoa.
He said that the special court was a welcome development, adding that it would support the efforts of JTF to rid the region of oil thieves.
He said that the slow judicial process in the country was a clog in the wheel of progress in the JTF’s fight against the menace of oil theft.
He said that most suspects awaiting trial returned to the crime shortly after they were granted bail.
“It is, indeed, a welcome development in as much as it will expedite the trial of oil theft suspects and really give them the deserved penalties and put them away for a long while.
“If this really happens, it will amount to a very positive deviation from the past when arrested oil thieves make a mockery of our effort.
“This is because they know that they will be left off the hook soon as we hand them over for prosecution. Our efforts will no longer amount to futility,” he said.
The spokesman said that the task force recently participated in the anti-oil theft interactive forum, organised by the Bayelsa Government.
He said the forum, which the government organised in collaboration with other stakeholders, was designed to work out more modalities to tackle oil theft in the state.
Nwachukwu said the forum identified logistic challenges faced by JTF and other security agencies and highlighted possible areas of collaboration.
News
198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class
News
Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council trains tra 1,000 teachers
News
RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE
The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.
The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.
Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee
highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.
“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.
Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.
The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.
