Nation
THE STATES
Gombe
The Gombe State Government has approved N900.8 million as compensation to people affected by the expansion of four township roads in the metropolis.
The Deputy Governor, Mr Tha’anda Rubainu, disclosed this while flagging-off the payment of the money to the beneficiaries in Gombe on Sunday.
Rubainu said that the money might not be enough to compensate for the social and psychological sacrifices that would be borne by the affected persons.
He, however, enjoined them to consider it as their personal contribution to the development of the state.
Also speaking, Mr. Shehu Hadi, the state Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure, said that the decision by the government to convert the roads into dual carriageways would decongest traffic within the metropolis.
Kaduna
The Kano State Government said it generated about N1 billion revenue internally in the last 12 months.
Gov. Rabiu Kwankwaso disclosed this, while celebrating “Kano Day” at the ongoing 33rd edition of the Kaduna International Trade Fair, on Saturday in Kaduna.
Kwankwaso, who was represented by Danburam Nuhu, the Commissioner for Commerce, Industry, Cooperatives and Tourism, said the revenue was 100 per cent higher than that of 2010.
Kwankwaso said the state would surpass the present revenue next year.
He said that about N440 million was distributed to women across the 44 local government areas to reduce the rate of poverty among women.
He said that a committee had been set up to ensure that taxes were harmonised to encourage investors in the state.
“Multiple taxation were no doubt discouraging business in Kano, but the government has resolved to introduce what it called shared taxes, where local, state and federal governments will take part of the responsibility,” he said.
Kano
The Kano State Government has procured 1,000 taxi cabs and 500 buses to boost transport services in Kano metropolis.
The state Commissioner for Works, Housing and Transport, Alhaji Abba Yusuf, told said in Kano on Saturday that the gesture was part of the government’s efforts to provide employment in the state.
He said the vehicles which would soon be launched by Gov. Rabi’u Kwankwaso, would alleviate the transportation problem being faced by commuters in the state capital.
“This is part of government’s effort to provide subsidised and cheap public transport services for the public,’’ he said.
According to him, the state government has also provided 15 additional buses to the state transport company, to enhance its operations.
“With government approval, the company has initiated the first passenger Health Insurance Scheme, in partnership with Zuma Health Insurance.
“A passenger will pay only N50 per trip and receive the sum of N190, 000 medical care in the event of an accident and N200, 000 in case of death.”
Katsina
The former NYSC Director General, Brig-Gen. Maharazu Tsiga has said that Nigeria’s Vision 20:2020 could be realised through proper guidance, education and orientation of youths.
Tsiga gave the advice on Saturday in Katsina at the swearing-in ceremony of the executives of National Association of Katsina State Students.
The former NYSC chief spoke on: “The role of Nigerian Students and Youth Development in nation building.
“The symbolic thing about the Vision 20:2020 is that today’s youths are leaders of tomorrow, hence the need to orientate, inform and educate them toward realising the vision.”
“The vision cannot be realised in an environment where the youths are not properly informed, hence the need for concerted efforts to guide the youths in that direction.
“There is the need for special attention to youth development as they are the bedrock upon which the society will move to the next level,” he added.
He charged the youth to always stay focused and to remember that they had a bright future, which could only be achieved through hard work, loyalty and respect for constituted authorities.
Tsiga also advised them not to allow themselves to be used by anybody to perpetrate evil acts.
He commended the Katsina State Government for its free education from primary to secondary levels and for its support to the state’s students in tertiary institutions.
Kogi
Kogi Gov.Idris Wada has said that he constituted two major committees on assumption of office to ensure good governance and meet the yearnings of the people.
Wada stated this in a broadcast in Lokoja on Saturday as part of activities marking his 100 days in office.
He said the government constituted a ‘Think-Tank’ shortly after his inauguration “to ensure
that we institute a well guided, inclusive, sound and cohesive government’’.
The committee, he said, was charged it with the responsibility of outlining strategic development policies and programmes for implementation within four years.
“I also constituted a transition committee to document the state of affairs in the state to provide us with a bearing for smooth implementation of our development programmes,’’ he said, adding that the two committees had since submitted their reports.
“I promised in my inaugural address to run your affairs by subjecting ourselves to the highest ideals of good governance and I did say that hard work, integrity, discipline, transparency and accountability would be our watchword.
“That is exactly what we have pursued with all the vigour and resources at our disposal since the day we assumed office.”
Wada said his assumption of office three months ahead of time prepared him adequately for the task of governing.
Lagos
Acting Director, Lagos State Fire Service, Mr Razak Fadipe, says the service has acquired 30 new fire-fighting vehicles to effectively combat fire outbreaks in the state.
Fadipe said this in Lagos last Friday on the 2012 International Fire-Fighting Day Anniversary.
He expressed the resolve of the service to better its operations, commending the state governor, Mr Babatunde Fashola, for revamping the establishment.
“Gov. Fashola has been very supportive of the Fire Service since he assumed office. As we speak, 30 new fire-fighting vehicles have been purchased to boost our operations.
“The vehicles are still in the U.S, but we are going to take delivery of the first batch before the end of the year.
“They are modern fire-fighting vehicles containing foam, air and water, which would better our rescue operations,’’ Fadipe said.
He said that two additional aerial ladders to combat fire outbreaks in high-rise buildings would accompany the vehicles to Nigeria.
“These aerial ladders are very important in a mega-city like Lagos, where we have many high-rise buildings“, the Fire Service chief said.
The Acting Director said the service had introduced two “three-digit toll-free emergency numbers’’ for members of the public in case of fire outbreaks.
“A resident can just dial 767 or 112 from his or her phone, even without airtime, and his or her message will get to the Command Centre for prompt attention,’’ he said.
Osun
Pupils in Osun would be fed with cocoyam-based nutrition in the state government’s schools feeding programme tagged “O Meal’’, Gov. Rauf Aregbesola has announced.
He made the disclosure in Osogbo on Friday while distributing instructional materials to pupils, saying research had confirmed the nutritional value of cocoyam.
The governor said the cocoyam-based feeding formula would make the pupils strong and sound, as it is rich in minerals and vitamins, and is low in starch.
The Tides Source recalls that the programme was inaugurated on April 30 with the employment of 3,000 women as food vendors.
The governor said findings had revealed that cocoyam remains an indispensable but yet neglected food crop, especially for predominantly malnourished households in the country.
“It is not just to provide the usual meal, meant to fill the bellies of our school children, but the ‘O Meal’ is rich in high protein,” he said.
Aregbesola said that the menu includes a very rich diet in chicken, beef, fish, eggs, and fruits to be served with other regular staple foods.
“Interestingly, and contrary to popular but uninformed belief, we found out through research that cocoyam is one of the most nutritious tubers for human consumption.
“Our policy therefore is based on sound advice by nutritionists that such food enhances the physical growth and mental development of kids in their formative years,” he said.
Aregbesola said the programme has also opened a window of opportunity for economic empowerment as no fewer than 3,000 women have been appointed food vendors.
He said the women had been adequately equipped with modern cooking utensils and provided with two pairs of chef uniforms each to enhance their service delivery.
Plateau
Motorcyclists have continued their operations in Jos and Bukuru metropolis of Plateau in spite of the ban by the State Government on May 4.
The State Government on May 4 banned commercial motorcyclists from operating in Jos and Bukuru.
The Commissioner for Information, Mr Abraham Yiljap, who announced the ban at a news conference, cited the security situation in the state capital as reason for the action.
Yiljap said: “the order is with immediate effect and that means the law enforcement agencies will be expected to comply with this law by checking those who might want to disregard it in any way’’.
He said the government had embarked on the purchase of additional 300 cabs and 500 tricycles for distribution to citizens of the state to ease the transportation problems.
The motorcyclists had appealed to the State Government to rescind its decision in order to save them and some of their passengers, who live in remote areas of the town.
Nation
Youths Vow To Continue Protest Over Dilapidated Highway
Youths from five local government areas in Northern Cross River State have concluded a one-week warning protest and blockade of the dilapidated Ikom-Wula-Obudu federal highway over the weekend.
They have vowed to resume the road blocks if by this week the authorities do not intervene to fix the road.
More than five thousand locals, mostly youths from Obanliku, Etung, Obudu, Ikom and Boki LGAs trooped out everyday for one week, used palm trees to block the highway to draw state and federal government’s attention to their plights, requesting the repair of a road has has been unmotorable for about 40 years.
They warned that if they do not see any actions from the state or federal governments, they will resume their Plan B protest, stop revenue collections and make governance unpalatable.
The youths also warned that without interventions on the road which has claimed several lives, including that of last week when a pregnant woman died with her baby in the full glare of the protesters because of the terrible road, no election can hold in the area next year.
One of the leaders of the No Road , No Election protest, who is also the Abo Youths in Boki LGA, Dr Martins Assam said both the federal and state governments have neglected the region, which generates more than 70 percent state revenue from agriculture.
He said if machinery is not deployed by next week, they will not have any option than to embark on unpalatable and disastrous protest, and stop revenue collections in the area.
“Last week we had only a warning strike for one good week. We’ll embark on a more elaborate, disastrous one-month blockade of this highway until they intervene. We call on our Governor and representatives in the National Assembly to act now by impressing on the federal government to immediately fix this road else. We’re not asking for two much but to be treated as human beings.”
Another protester, Clinton Obi from the Etung axis said, “We’ve been neglected for 40 years. This Ikom-Obudu federal highway had been impassable. The government has removed its concentration from our plights. By this one week protest, we want action on this road otherwise the next phase of protest will be costly.”
Reverend Father Francis Amaozo, priest in charge of St. Nicholas parish in Nashua, Boki LGA said, “I have also been a victim of this very deplorable road. Enough is now enough. We’ve been betrayed by our representatives and other leaders, so that we in this axis have become endangered species on this road. I have lost some many members on this road.”
Member, representing the Boki-Ikom federal constituency of the state in the House of Representatives, Bisong Victor Abang had pleaded with the locals to be a bit more patient with the government as action will commence shortly.
Nation
UNIPORT VC Receives Inaugural Lecture Brochure As Professor Highlights Urgent Need For Drug Repurposing In Malaria Fight
The Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Prof Owunari Georgewill, last Thursday received the inaugural lecture brochure from the Inaugural Lecturer, Professor Udeme Georgewill, during a ceremony at the university’s Centre of Excellence attended by academics, researchers, students, and distinguished guests.
Delivering her lecture, Professor Udeme Georgewill described the occasion as the culmination of years of dedicated research, teaching, and service to humanity. He explained that his work as a pharmacologist has consistently focused on finding practical, affordable, and scientifically sound solutions to health challenges that disproportionately affect developing countries, particularly malaria, which remains one of Nigeria’s most pressing public health concerns.
She noted that Nigeria continues to bear one of the heaviest malaria burdens globally, accounting for a significant percentage of worldwide cases and deaths. The disease, largely caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite and transmitted through Anopheles mosquitoes, remains especially dangerous for children under five years and pregnant women, threatening not only present populations but unborn generations. Despite years of intervention efforts, malaria continues to strain families, health systems, and the national economy.
Prof Georgewill empha-sised that while Artemisinin-based Combination Therapies such as Artemether-Lumefantrine remain the gold standard for malaria treatment, emerging resistance patterns pose a serious challenge. He explained that drug resistance is a survival mechanism of the parasite, enabling it to adapt and reduce the effectiveness of medications designed to eliminate it. According to her, instances where patients do not feel better after initial treatment sometimes lead to repeated dosing or the search for injectable alternatives, practices that can worsen resistance and complicate treatment outcomes.
Against this backdrop, she advocated strongly for drug repurposing as a strategic and urgent response. Drug repurposing, he explained, involves identifying new therapeutic uses for already approved and widely available medications. He likened the concept to “old wine in new wineskins,” stressing that medicines already proven safe for certain conditions can be carefully re-evaluated and optimised for new roles in malaria management. This approach, she argued, offers advantages such as reduced research timelines, lower development costs, and faster clinical application compared to developing entirely new drugs from scratch.
She disclosed that her research had progressed from laboratory investigations to clinical evaluations, where his team is studying combinations involving Artemether-Lumefantrine and Ivermectin to determine their effectiveness in improving treatment outcomes and possibly reducing transmission. Clinical trials are ongoing, and findings will be communicated upon completion of regulatory processes. However, he cautioned strongly against self-medication, warning that misuse of drugs without proper diagnosis and prescription can lead to organ damage, treatment failure, and increased resistance.
Referencing global health commitments, Prof Georgewill highlighted Sustainable Development Goal 3.3, which seeks to end epidemics of malaria and other major infectious diseases by 2030. She questioned whether the goal remains attainable under current realities, especially with growing resistance and funding gaps. He also referred to strategies of the World Health Organisation aimed at drastically reducing malaria incidence and mortality while pushing toward elimination in several countries.
Looking ahead, she revealed that her team is building comprehensive research databases to support artificial intelligence-driven drug repurposing. He stressed that the integration of artificial intelligence, molecular docking, and advanced screening technologies is transforming global drug discovery, and Nigerian researchers must be equipped to participate competitively in this evolving scientific landscape.
In her recommendations, she called for the establishment of a National Centre for Drug Repurposing to coordinate research efforts and leverage artificial intelligence in identifying new indications for existing medicines. He urged policymakers to simplify and accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries into clinical application, ensuring that scientific breakthroughs benefit the public more efficiently. She also appealed to the university and relevant authorities to increase funding and modernise laboratory infrastructure, including high-throughput screening facilities, to strengthen Nigeria’s position in global biomedical research.
The lecture concluded with expressions of gratitude to God, the university leadership, colleagues, students, and guests, as the event underscored the University of Port Harcourt’s commitment to research excellence and its role in addressing critical public health challenges facing Nigeria and the wider world.
Nation
Niger CAN Rejects Proposed Hisbah Bill, Urges Gov Bago Not To Assent
The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Niger State Chapter, has rejected the proposed Niger State Hisbah Directorates Bill, describing it as controversial and capable of deepening religious division in the state.
In a statement signed by the State Chairman, Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, and made available to The Tide’s source yesterday, the association urged Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago not to assent to the bill if it is passed by the State House of Assembly.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing Chanchaga Constituency, Hon. Mohammed Abubakar, seeks to establish a Hisbah Directorate in Niger State.
CAN warned that the legislation could be perceived as discriminatory against Christians and may heighten tension in the religiously diverse state.
“Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, we, the entire Christendom in the state, wish to draw your attention to what could easily create division among the people you govern,” the statement read in part.
The association questioned the necessity and benefits of the proposed law, asking what economic or social value it would add to the state.
It further argued that existing security agencies, including the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, already have constitutional mandates to maintain law and order.
The Christian body also faulted the legislative process, disputing claims that it was consulted during a public hearing on the bill.
It insisted that it was neither invited nor notified of any such engagement, despite being a critical stakeholder in the state.
