News
NGF,Arewa Hail FG Over War On Terror, Boko Haram
The governors in the northern part of the country yesterday commended Federal Government’s efforts to check security challenges and pledged to end the spate of violence in the region.
The Chairman of the Northern States Governors’ Forum, Governor Babangida Aliyu of Niger State, announced this at the opening of the forum’s meeting in Kaduna.
Babangida said: “The Federal Government should be commended for its readiness to dialogue on security issues with various interest groups. ’’
He pleaded with the governors to find a means of getting a solution to end the crises and allow peace to reign in their states.
He said individuals and groups seeking to restore normalcy should be encouraged to do so.
“It is unfortunate that the situation has not abated; rather, it is worsening and attaining alarming dimensions with attendant negative implications for the economic growth and development of our nation; and indeed, our national image.
“We are passing through a very difficult phase in the history of our nation, a period that puts our patriotism, nationalism, sincerity and responsibility to test.
“This is the period that we have to demonstrate, individually and collectively, our abiding faith in our nation.
“When we must confront the common enemies of the nation, those who are sworn to destroying the spirit of nationhood through wanton destruction of lives and property,’’ he said.
Babangida also lauded the Federal Government’s initiative on promoting the Almajiri education system and advised the governors to domesticate the programme.
He enjoined his colleagues not to be distracted by political campaigns for 2015, telling them to put their faith in God and redeem their electoral pledges.
Babangida announced that the Sir Ahmadu Bello Foundation, designed to accelerate development in the region, had collected N2.3 billion as donations and on investments.
He assured that the proceeds would be reinvested in social development projects to improve the living standards of the people.
The chairman commended member states and individuals that redeemed their pledges and appealed to defaulters to honour their promises in the interest of the region.
The meeting which would consider reports of the committees on education, agriculture and New Nigerian Newspapers, will culminate in the election of a new chairman for the forum, discuss the need to rejuvenate the Northern Nigeria Development Corporation and adopt the position paper of the secretaries to the states governments for action.
The governors of Kaduna, Sokoto, Borno, Adamawa, Kebbi, Katsina, Benue, Plateau and Niger attended the meeting, while those of Nasarawa, Kwara, Bauchi, Kano, Gombe, Kogi and Zamfara were represented by their deputies but Yobe, Jigawa and Taraba were absent.
Meanwhile, the Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) has pledged to back President Goodluck Jonathan to put an end to the security challenges posed by “Boko Haram”.
A delegation of the Northern umbrella body led by former FCT Minister, Gen. Jeremiah Useni, said this at an interactive session with the President late Wednesday at the State House.
In an interview with the State House correspondents after the closed door meeting, Useni said they suggested some solutions to the President on the ways to curb the security challenges.
Useni said that ACF had already taken actions by setting up a committee on the issue and would make its report available to government in due course.
He said the body was in support of dialogue as a practical means of resolving the problem.
On the Forum’s reaction to the statement credited to former Head of State, General Muhammadu Buhari on 2015 general elections, Useni said that power belongs to God.
It will be recalled that Buhari, the Presidential candidate of CPC in 2011 general elections, had reportedly warned that the 2015 general elections would be a “fierce bloody battle’’ if the elections were not transparent.
Speaking in the same vein after the meeting, the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Dr Reuben Abati, said that Jonathan welcomed ACF and thanked the members for their support.
He said the President shared the optimism of the Forum and told members of the delegation that Government doors would remain open to them.
In attendance at the meeting were Vice President Namadi Sambo, Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Sen Anyim Pius Anyim, Ministers and Presidential aides.
News
198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class
News
Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council trains tra 1,000 teachers
News
RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE
The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.
The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.
Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee
highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.
“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.
Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.
The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.
