Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

Adamawa

More than 2,000 Nigerian cattle grazers migrated to Cameroon and the Central African Republic between January 2009 and July this year due to the recurring conflicts between farmers and grazers in the North-East region. Dr Walia Hamman, the North-East Coordinator of the National Livestock Development Projects, toldnewsmen in Yola that no fewer than 2.3 million cattle, sheep and goats were lost to the two neighbouring countries.

He listed the most affected states as Taraba, Adamawa and Borno, saying that the 2007 livestock and grazers census showed that most of the affected pastoralists were Nigerians while only four and three per cent were from Chad and Niger Republics respectively. Hamman said the major flash point of the migration was in the Sardauna (Mambila) Local Government Area in Taraba where, in the years under review, no fewer than 1,200 pastoralists fled. He said the combined efforts by the federal and the affected states to get them back had failed. “Most of the pastoralists contacted refused to come back, alleging poor security of their lives and property.”

 

Bauchi

Residents of Tudun Salmanu in Bauchi have expressed dissatisfaction over the indiscriminate disposal of refuse and the lack of a designated dump site in the area. Some of the residents who spoke with the News Agency of Nigeria (newsmen) in Bauchi last Thursday, said that the development had resulted to the dumping of waste materials in undeveloped plots. Commenting on the situation, Malam Baba Adamu, a resident, said:“If you move round, you will see what I mean.

“We dump our household waste in people’s plots because we don’t have the Bauchi State Environmental Protection Agency (BASEPA) containers to dispose waste.” Adamu said that the practice had been on for a while due to the lack of an alternative, leading to the littering of the environment with all sort of wastes.

In her contribution, a house wife, Mrs Maryam Abubakar, decried the behaviour of some members of the public, whom, she said, had imbibed the bad habit of dumping refuse indiscriminately. She attributed their action to laziness and ignorance and advised parents and guardians to instruct their children and wards to dump refuse in appropriate places.

 

FCT

The Bwari Area Council of the FCT has awarded scholarships to 1,649 students in the area in the 2011 academic year, the Chairman of the council, Mr Peter Yohanna, has announced.

Addressing a news conference in Bwari, near Abuja last Thursday, Yohanna said that the council spent about N17.6 million on the scholarship scheme.

He said that the council had also embarked on various projects to improve the quality of lives of people residing in the area. Yohanna said that enrollment in schools had improved remarkably in the 2011 academic year, assuring that the council would sustain the development. He said that public libraries, orphanages, health centres and many construction projects were also completed in the area in 2011.

 

Gombe

A member of the Gombe State House of Assembly,Mr. Lasare Lewi says he has spent over five million Naira in constructing three blocks of classrooms in his constituency. Lewi who is representing the Billiri West Constituency disclosed this to newsmen in Billiri.

He said the projects comprised two blocks of classrooms in Sabon Layi, one block of two classrooms in Baganje South and another block of two classrooms in Tanglang village.  The PDP member said more blocks of classrooms would be constructed in the remaining three wards that made up his constituency in due course.  “I was an Education Secretary of Billiri Local Government, so I know the problems of education in the area. “That was why when I was elected, I decided to intervene in the area of education, starting in three wards.  “Later I will execute similar projects in the remaining wards which will cost almost the same amount,’’ he said.

 

Jigawa

The Jigawa State  government is to convert four Junior secondary schools in Kazaure to senior category.  Alhaji Sani Yahaya, Director in-charge of Education in the state, disclosed this during a stakeholders meeting between officials of the Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB) and the ministry of Education in Kazaure on Wednesday.  Yahaya named the schools as Government Secondary Schools in Fuji, Karayal, Amaryawa and Gwiwa. He explained that a team from the state ministry of education would soon visit the schools to assess the infrastructure.

 

Kaduna

The Chief Executive Officer, Obita Visual Industry, Mr Adeniyi Ekine, says the industry will complement the Federal Government’s transformation agenda through art forms.  Ekine told newsmen on Wednesday in Kaduna, that arrangements had been concluded to showcase a talent hunt reality television in February.

He said that the programme tagged,“Live in Peace,” would create awareness on the need to embrace peace. “The show will be transmitted on NTA, AIT and KSTV and will feature acts in dance, song and comedy.’’

Ekine said registration forms were on sale at the rate of N2,000 and N5,000 for single and group participants, respectively.

 

Lagos

The Lagos State Government said on Wednesday that it had begun an all-year-round drainage clearing and maintenance in the 20 local government areas and 37 local development areas.  The Commissioner for the Environment, Mr. Tunji Bello announced the plan in a statement issued by Mr Fola Adeyemi, the Public Relations Officer of the ministry in Ikeja. Bello said the measure was aimed at checking flooding which usually accompanied heavy rains in the state. He said the clearing programme, to be carried out by the Office of Drainage Services of the ministry, would mainly entail de-silting of the channels to allow free flow of water, especially during the rainy season. The commissioner said that the government was implementing the programme to avoid the kind of flooding that accompanied the July 10, 2011 rainfall, which claimed lives and destroyed properties in the state. He said the programme was also a proactive response to experts‘ prediction of a heavy rainfall in the state during the year, adding that the government decided to begin the work in earnest to avert flooding. Bello identified some areas where drainages would be cleared as Adekunle Fajuyi Road, Ikeja, Works Road GRA, Ikeja, Kodesoh Road, Ikeja, Simpson and Sandgrouse streets on Lagos Island. Others are Lanre Awolokun Street, Shomolu, College Road, Ifako, Arowojobe Street, Oshodi, Agric/Oja Road Ikorodu, Gemini/Coker Surulere, Adeniji Adele Road (both Sides) on Lagos Island and Ogunmokun Street in Mushin.

 

Niger

Governor Babangida Aliyu of Niger State has urged the people to embrace the ongoing immunisation exercise by the government to eradicate poliomyelitis, saying that the vaccines were safe. Aliyu made the call in Minna during a stakeholders’ forum on eradication of Poliomyelitis in the state. He enjoined parents and guardians to ensure that their wards were immunised against the polio virus and to embrace routine immunisation in order not to continue to lose abundant human resources to the killer disease.

The governor also inaugurated the state committee on eradication of poliomyelitis to ensure that the state remained polio free.

 

Osun

The National Orientation Agency (NOA) has said that the proceeds from the removal of oil subsidy would be used to promote the social wellbeing of Nigerians. Mrs Oluremi Wilson, the Director of the agency in Osun, said in Osogbo at a prayer session to mark the new year that appropriate social security would be extended to Nigerians. “If there is social security in place, many Nigerians will afford to live comfortably without the tendencies for banditry and other forms of social vices. “Now the railway system is gradually coming back to ease public transportation while waterways are being dredged to check perennial flooding,’’ she said.  She observed that lack of “a holistic social security” had in the past largely been responsible for the suffering of ordinary Nigerians, saying the deregulation of the oil sector would address the problem.

 

Plateau

The Plateau Police Command recovered properties worth more than N100 million last year, Mr Emmanuel Ayeni, the Police Commissioner in the state, has said.

Ayeni told journalists in Jos on Thursday that 42 cars, estimated at N52.6 million, were recovered out of the 81 cars that were reported stolen. He said the Command also recovered N39.4 million from people who purchased stolen property.

Ayeni said that about N5 million worth of property was recovered at robbery scenes, while 117 assorted firearms and 558 ammunitions were recovered from riot scenes. He said that 72 persons were arrested and charged to court for various offences ranging from public disturbance to outright mayhem, adding that an unspecified number of people were being prosecuted.

Ayeni expressed happiness that the efforts of his men had not gone unnoticed or unrewarded, saying  that“Four Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) were promoted to Superintendents; 13 Assistant Superintendents (ASP) to Deputy Superintendents, while 195 Inspectors were elevated to ASPs,’’ he said.

Continue Reading

Nation

Youths Vow To Continue Protest Over Dilapidated Highway

Published

on

Youths from five local government areas in Northern Cross River State have concluded a one-week warning protest and blockade of the dilapidated Ikom-Wula-Obudu federal highway over the weekend.
They have vowed to resume the road blocks if by this week the authorities do not intervene to fix the road.
More than five thousand locals, mostly youths from Obanliku, Etung, Obudu, Ikom and Boki LGAs trooped out everyday for one week, used palm trees to block the highway to draw state and federal government’s attention to their plights, requesting the repair of a road has has been unmotorable for about 40 years.
They warned that if they do not see any actions from the state or federal governments, they will resume their Plan B protest, stop revenue collections and make governance unpalatable.
The youths also warned that without interventions on the road which has claimed several lives, including that of last week when a pregnant woman died with her baby in the full glare of the protesters because of the terrible road, no election can hold in the area next year.
One of the leaders of the No Road , No Election protest, who is also the Abo Youths in Boki LGA, Dr Martins Assam said both the federal and state governments have neglected the region, which generates more than 70 percent state revenue from agriculture.
He said if machinery is not deployed by next week, they will not have any option than to embark on unpalatable and disastrous protest, and stop revenue collections in the area.
“Last week we had only a warning strike for one good week. We’ll embark on a more elaborate, disastrous one-month blockade of this highway until they intervene. We call on our Governor and representatives in the National Assembly to act now by impressing on the federal government to immediately fix this road else. We’re not asking for two much but to be treated as human beings.”
Another protester, Clinton Obi from the Etung axis said, “We’ve been neglected for 40 years. This Ikom-Obudu federal highway had been impassable. The government has removed its concentration from our plights. By this one week protest, we want action on this road otherwise the next phase of protest will be costly.”
Reverend Father Francis Amaozo, priest in charge of St. Nicholas parish in Nashua, Boki LGA said, “I have also been a victim of this very deplorable road. Enough is now enough. We’ve been betrayed by our representatives and other leaders, so that we in this axis have become endangered species on this road. I have lost some many members on this road.”
Member, representing the Boki-Ikom federal constituency of the state in the House of Representatives, Bisong Victor Abang had pleaded with the locals to be a bit more patient with the government as action will commence shortly.

Continue Reading

Nation

UNIPORT VC Receives Inaugural Lecture Brochure As Professor Highlights Urgent Need For Drug Repurposing In Malaria Fight

Published

on

The Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Prof Owunari Georgewill, last Thursday received the inaugural lecture brochure from the Inaugural Lecturer, Professor Udeme Georgewill, during a ceremony at the university’s Centre of Excellence attended by academics, researchers, students, and distinguished guests.
Delivering her lecture, Professor Udeme Georgewill described the occasion as the culmination of years of dedicated research, teaching, and service to humanity. He explained that his work as a pharmacologist has consistently focused on finding practical, affordable, and scientifically sound solutions to health challenges that disproportionately affect developing countries, particularly malaria, which remains one of Nigeria’s most pressing public health concerns.
She noted that Nigeria continues to bear one of the heaviest malaria burdens globally, accounting for a significant percentage of worldwide cases and deaths. The disease, largely caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite and transmitted through Anopheles mosquitoes, remains especially dangerous for children under five years and pregnant women, threatening not only present populations but unborn generations. Despite years of intervention efforts, malaria continues to strain families, health systems, and the national economy.
Prof Georgewill empha-sised that while Artemisinin-based Combination Therapies such as Artemether-Lumefantrine remain the gold standard for malaria treatment, emerging resistance patterns pose a serious challenge. He explained that drug resistance is a survival mechanism of the parasite, enabling it to adapt and reduce the effectiveness of medications designed to eliminate it. According to her, instances where patients do not feel better after initial treatment sometimes lead to repeated dosing or the search for injectable alternatives, practices that can worsen resistance and complicate treatment outcomes.
Against this backdrop, she advocated strongly for drug repurposing as a strategic and urgent response. Drug repurposing, he explained, involves identifying new therapeutic uses for already approved and widely available medications. He likened the concept to “old wine in new wineskins,” stressing that medicines already proven safe for certain conditions can be carefully re-evaluated and optimised for new roles in malaria management. This approach, she argued, offers advantages such as reduced research timelines, lower development costs, and faster clinical application compared to developing entirely new drugs from scratch.
She disclosed that her research had progressed from laboratory investigations to clinical evaluations, where his team is studying combinations involving Artemether-Lumefantrine and Ivermectin to determine their effectiveness in improving treatment outcomes and possibly reducing transmission. Clinical trials are ongoing, and findings will be communicated upon completion of regulatory processes. However, he cautioned strongly against self-medication, warning that misuse of drugs without proper diagnosis and prescription can lead to organ damage, treatment failure, and increased resistance.
Referencing global health commitments, Prof Georgewill highlighted Sustainable Development Goal 3.3, which seeks to end epidemics of malaria and other major infectious diseases by 2030. She questioned whether the goal remains attainable under current realities, especially with growing resistance and funding gaps. He also referred to strategies of the World Health Organisation aimed at drastically reducing malaria incidence and mortality while pushing toward elimination in several countries.
Looking ahead, she revealed that her team is building comprehensive research databases to support artificial intelligence-driven drug repurposing. He stressed that the integration of artificial intelligence, molecular docking, and advanced screening technologies is transforming global drug discovery, and Nigerian researchers must be equipped to participate competitively in this evolving scientific landscape.
In her recommendations, she called for the establishment of a National Centre for Drug Repurposing to coordinate research efforts and leverage artificial intelligence in identifying new indications for existing medicines. He urged policymakers to simplify and accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries into clinical application, ensuring that scientific breakthroughs benefit the public more efficiently. She also appealed to the university and relevant authorities to increase funding and modernise laboratory infrastructure, including high-throughput screening facilities, to strengthen Nigeria’s position in global biomedical research.
The lecture concluded with expressions of gratitude to God, the university leadership, colleagues, students, and guests, as the event underscored the University of Port Harcourt’s commitment to research excellence and its role in addressing critical public health challenges facing Nigeria and the wider world.

Continue Reading

Nation

Niger CAN Rejects Proposed Hisbah Bill, Urges Gov Bago Not To Assent

Published

on

The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Niger State Chapter, has rejected the proposed Niger State Hisbah Directorates Bill, describing it as controversial and capable of deepening religious division in the state.
In a statement signed by the State Chairman, Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, and made available to The Tide’s source yesterday, the association urged Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago not to assent to the bill if it is passed by the State House of Assembly.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing Chanchaga Constituency, Hon. Mohammed Abubakar, seeks to establish a Hisbah Directorate in Niger State.
CAN warned that the legislation could be perceived as discriminatory against Christians and may heighten tension in the religiously diverse state.
“Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, we, the entire Christendom in the state, wish to draw your attention to what could easily create division among the people you govern,” the statement read in part.
The association questioned the necessity and benefits of the proposed law, asking what economic or social value it would add to the state.
It further argued that existing security agencies, including the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, already have constitutional mandates to maintain law and order.
The Christian body also faulted the legislative process, disputing claims that it was consulted during a public hearing on the bill.
It insisted that it was neither invited nor notified of any such engagement, despite being a critical stakeholder in the state.

Continue Reading

Trending