Connect with us

Niger Delta

Bayelsa ANPP Suspends 4 Exco Members

Published

on

The Bayelsa State chapter of the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) has suspended four of its executive officers following a vote of no-confidence passed by two-thirds majority of the State Executive Council.

Those suspended were former deputy chairman, Mr. Tuku Ogbogene, pubilicity secretary, Mr. Niccodimus Anthony, Vice chairman (Bayelsa East) Mr. Loveday Abiri and state legal adviser, Mr. Leilei Solomon.

In a communiqué issued after its end of year executive council meeting held in Yenagoa,and signed by state vice-chairman, Barrister Bofede Okporu, who presided over the meeting and Secretary, Mr. Eminah Bioghoemu, the party accused the four members of anti-party activities.

The communique reads in part “The State Executive Committee has today by an overwhelming two-third majority vote pass a vote of no confidence on the four members for gross abuse of office and flagrant breach of the party’s constitution. They are hereby suspended indefinitely from the party”.

“For conspiring to unilaterally reverse the working committee and state executive council’s decisions a behavior aimed at frustrating the ANPP in Bayelsa state, a disciplinary committee will be set up to review their offences and make appropriate punishment.” The statement added.

The party also accused the four members of placing an unauthorised radio announcement reversing the decisions of the party’s joint working committee and executive council on Radio Bayelsa, a development it said was aimed to cause a corporate embarrassment to the image of the party in state.

The communiqué which was endorsed by 22 signatories out of the 34- member state executive council, the party stated that it wished to reaffirmed the validity of all the decisions reached at the State Working Committee meeting of December 14th State Executive Council meeting of December 15th which the four suspended members had sought to reverse.

The party further hinted that its long silence on political development in the state was not because it had lost focus, but that, “we are only undertaking very essential internal body-building and strengthening of our organs for the 2011 general elections”, saying that “we still remain on indivisible and united loving ANPP Bayelsa family”.

It also used the medium to formally announced the emergence of Hon. Ayebide Fatiede as the new state chairman of the party after a state congress election which was conducted on the 3rd of July 2010, the result of which the party had maintained its validity.

“The state executive council has nominated Hon. Ayebide Fatiede who had placed second in the last congress of the party, which was supervised by INEC and the State Security Services in the state as the substantive chairman of the party”, the party stated.

The Tide gathered that the emergence of a substantive chairman followed the recent election of former chairman of the ANPP in the state, Chief Livinus Opuakpa as the National Vice-Chairman (South-South) of the party.

The statement further explained that with Opuakpa’s resignation on the 3rd of September 2010 to contest for the National office, the former state deputy chairman, Mr. Tuku Ogbogene had been the party’s acting chairman before he was suspended along with the three other executive members

Continue Reading

Niger Delta

850-bed UCTH overstretched, services 5m patients – CMD

Published

on

The Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital (UCTH), Prof. Ikpeme Ikpeme, has said the 850-bed hospital is overstretched, as it currently serves over five million patients.
He disclosed this on Friday during a media tour of the facility to showcase ongoing renovations and facelift in the hospital.
The CMD noted that, aside being the only tertiary healthcare facility servicing the state, UCTH also serviced neighbouring states of Akwa Ibom and Ebonyi.
He said the hospital also received referrals from neighbouring countries, including Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and Central African Republic.
According to him, the 850-bed hospital faced persistent space constraints because of increasing patients inflow and expanding healthcare demands.
“This hospital currently operates 62 clinical and non-clinical departments as well as  between 30 and 38 wards covering medical, surgical, paediatric, orthopaedic and specialised services.
“Most wards have undergone facelift, remodelling, or complete renovation to improve patient care and working conditions for healthcare professionals”, he said.
He disclosed that the hospital was constructing a new 106-bed emergency medicine facility to address the rising demand for healthcare services.
According to him, the facility will include trauma bays, intensive care units, neonatal wards, and three fully equipped trauma theatres.
Speaking on the remodeled wards, Ikpeme explained that they followed modern nursing principles, allowing one nurse to attend to a maximum of 10 patients.
He said relatives would be restricted to designated waiting areas to reduce interference with medical procedures and improve emergency response efficiency.
The CMD noted that the hospital had strengthened specialist services in orthopaedics, neurosurgery, obstetrics, radiology, and minimally invasive surgery.
“UCTH now performs hip and knee replacements, arthroscopy, sports medicine, and complex brain tumour surgeries.
“Our surgeons also conduct keyhole procedures for appendectomy, hysterectomy and other conditions with faster patient recovery periods,” he said
In power, the CMD said the hospital relied on solar power from a seven-megawatt plant, constructed by the Federal Government at the University of Calabar, as well as public power supply, and generators to sustain its operations.
He appealed to governments, organisations, and philanthropists to support infrastructure expansion, equipment procurement, and specialised healthcare projects.
The CMD said the hospital required additional incubators, ward expansions, and a stand-alone amenity facility for private healthcare services.
He used the opportunity to dismiss allegations of ethnic discrimination, insisting that the hospital does not reject workers or patients based on tribe or origin.
According to him, the institution recently honoured an Igbo pioneer physician by naming a ward after him in recognition of decades of service.
The CMD said the hospital maintained strict disciplinary procedures to address negligence, poor attitude, and unethical conduct among staff.
The Tide’s source reports that some of the units visited include, intensive care unit, Department of Radiology, Urology Clinic, and Opthalmology Clinic.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Police Burst Child Trafficking Syndicate In A’Ibom … Nab 3 Suspects

Published

on

The Police Command in Akwa Ibom State says it has busted a child trafficking syndicate and arrested three suspects for conspiracy and unlawful sale of a newborn baby in the State.
The State’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Timfom John, who disclosed this in a statement in Uyo on Friday, said the three female suspects were arrested on Wednesday at about 1900hrs.
She said a complainant reported that his wife gave birth to a baby boy on May 7 and shockingly, shortly after delivery sold the newborn child to one of the suspects for N145, 000.
“Upon receipt of the report, operatives immediately swung into action, leading to the arrest of the suspects and the successful recovery of the baby boy.
“The suspects reportedly confessed to the crime during interrogation, while investigation has been expanded to identify and apprehend all individuals connected to the trafficking syndicate”, John said.
She said the State’s Commissioner of Police, Baba Azare, reiterated the Command’s commitment to sustaining aggressive intelligence-led policing in the state.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

A’Ibom Launches Operation Crack Down Scrap Dealers 

Published

on

The Akwa-Ibom State Government has launched a statewide crackdown on unregistered scrap dealers and scavengers, shutting down illegal operations and arresting operators accused of violating environmental and public safety regulations.
The enforcement operation, led by the Akwa Ibom State Environmental Protection and Waste Management Agency (AKSEPWMA), followed the implementation of the state’s Waste Metal Scrap Law 2026, officials said.
AKSEPWMA Chairman, Obong Prince Ikim, said the exercise was aimed at regulating the scrap sector, protect the environment, and prevent criminal groups from operating under the guise of waste collection and metal trading.
“If you want to do scrap business, you must register,” Mr. Ikim said during the operation in Uyo, the state capital.
“Many people now hide under scrap trading to perpetrate nefarious activities”, he said.
According to him, dump site operators and scrap dealers who failed to register with the government risked closure and prosecution.
Authorities accused some operators of involvement in vandalism of public infrastructure and indiscriminate waste disposal, adding that investigations had uncovered criminal activities linked to several dump sites across the state.
“Some people vandalise government facilities in the name of scrap business and encourage indiscriminate dumping of refuse,” Mr. Ikim said.
He added that the state government and security agencies would continue efforts to enforce compliance and maintain public order.
“The Commissioner of Police has zero tolerance for criminality, and the Governor wants Akwa Ibom people to sleep with their eyes closed. We will fish out every defaulter”, he said.
Police officials involved in the operation said investigations showed that some criminal suspects used scrap yards and refuse dump sites as cover for illegal activities.
CSP Okwuzulike Vincent of the Itam Police Station said some suspects pretended to be mentally unstable while hiding ammunition and other suspicious items in makeshift shelters around dump locations.
The police officer praised the environmental agency for what he described as proactive efforts to sanitise the sector and pledged continued cooperation between law enforcement and the agency.
Officials said some first-time offenders arrested during the operation were released after profiling and signing undertakings, while repeat offenders would face prosecution.
Continue Reading

Trending