News
Presidency Tackles Okah
The Presidency yesterday denied the claim by the former Leader of Movement for the Emancipation of Niger Delta (MEND), Henry Okah, that an aide of President Goodluck Jonathan, asked him to blame the October 1 bombings on Northern politicians.
A statement issued in Abuja by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr Ima Niboro, said the allegation by Okah quoted on Al’ Jazeera Network “is an outright lie’’
Niboro said in the statement that the presidency challenged Okah to name the president’s aide that spoke to him on the subject.
The statement urged Okah to face his trial in a South African court on his alleged involvement in the bombings in Nigeria rather than making frivolous claims.
“There is no gainsaying the fact that Okah is a drowning man determined to pull others down with him and there is hardly any purpose to be served by joining issues with an accused mass murderer.
“Okah is a man, who has been known to say one thing and do another and we are not at all surprised by his diversionary rhetoric,” it added.
Okah had alleged that he was arrested in South Africa because he refused to tell MEND to retract a statement claiming responsibility for last week’s bomb explosions in Abuja.
He had alleged that he received a phone call from a “close associate” of Jonathan, urging MEND to withdraw its claim for the bombings, which killed at least 12 people and left 36 others injured.
Okah also alleged that the presidential aide wanted him to blame the attack on northern leaders who are trying to work against Jonathan’s 2011 presidential ambition.
News
198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class
News
Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council trains tra 1,000 teachers
News
RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE
The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.
The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.
Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee
highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.
“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.
Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.
The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.
