Politics
Electronic Transmission Of Results, In Whose Interest?
“I am not in support of electronic transmission of results. We are not ready. It is best if we are equipped and ready to secure the website that nobody can hack. If we say for 2023, we are going to transmit results electronically, is it possible? Everybody knows that it is only the person with the highest number of votes that will get it. So, results should be announced at the polling units and collation centres, where applicable. Let us not start what we cannot do.”
That was the position
proudly made public by a Distinguished Senator of the Federal Republic representing Bauchi South Senatorial District of Bauchi State.
As the agency that bears much of the difficulties and collateral consequences associated with manual collation and transmission of votes at elections, over the years, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) had expressed preference for the adoption of electronic results by electronic means. Against this backdrop, Chairman of the Commission, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, had urged the National Assembly to amend the Constitution and the Electoral Act 2010 to allow for electronic collation and transmission of results; arguing that the manual method enshrined in the laws is too cumbersome and expensive.
“We have to also address our electoral process which is manual. It is too expensive and cumbersome. The process of collating results is sometimes chaotic because the law says that you must write results manually and collate them manually right from the polling unit to the ward, from the ward to the local government, then, the state and from the state to the national level, in the case of the presidential election. “A lot has been achieved in other climes with the simple application of technology. So, the encumbrances to the deployment of technology in the transmission of election results should be removed as part of this process”, the INEC boss said as part of his submission to the Electoral Act Amendment Bill.
Last week, Nigerians’ expectation for the bill to be passed into law by the Senate was dashed as controversy arose amongst the lawmakers with the questionable appearance of a strange Section 50 (2) which completely outlaws transmission of votes by electronic means.
The contentious provision states that voting at an election under this Bill shall be in accordance with the procedures determined by the commission, which may include electronic voting provided that the commission shall not transmit results of the election by electronic means.”
Of course, the report of the Senate Committee on INEC, led by Sen. Kabiru Gaya, which prepared the bill did not make it to plenary until last Wednesday as some members of the committee threatened to raise objection on the floor of the senate unless the offensive section was expunged and the version to be laid before the senate faithfully corresponds with what they collectively signed up to.
The question Nigerians have since been asking is, who is afraid of electronic transmission of election results and why? With admirable results already recorded on the electronic transmission of election results by INEC in some previous elections including the September, 2020 Edo State governorship election, Nigerians are wondering why anyone would hinder the full scale and unfettered application of appropriate and requisite technology in our electoral system, especially seeing that the electoral body itself has not indicated lack of capacity, inability or unwillingness to undertake the process.
Yet the Chairman, Senate Committee on Army, Senator Ali Ndume, is reported to have said that electronic voting and transmission of election results will not work in the northern part of the country come 2023.
“As a member of the Senate, I am talking realistically, the issue of electronic voting is futuristic, but not realistic for us in the north, particularly. Can you do electronic voting or transmission of results without electricity? The answer is no; he said. According to Senator Ndume, who represents Borno South Senatorial District, the adoption of electronic voting and transmission of results will render the electoral process vulnerable adding that while he was determined to stand against the electronic means, himself and his people were comfortable with the writing of results in hard copies.
“What they are trying to do is to make the election vulnerable. Supposing somebody drops a virus in the process, supposing somebody desfroys the collation centre or attacks the server, what will happen?”, he reasoned, insisting that the envisaged benefits of reduced tension, killing and election rigging were untenable, people rig election only where they are already popular.
“Infact, electronic voting is more susceptible to manipulation… So, we don’t want to get involved in that, particularly we, the northern senators, because we are the ones that don’t have the facilities or the infrastructure that is required to conduct electronic voting … So you are saying that we should go through electronic voting for what? Let’s go out and vote the way we have been voting before”, Senator Ndume insisted.
Reacting to questions on the subject matter, erstwhile INEC Chairman, Prof. Attahiru Jega said, “once there is a robust software and hardware for doing so, it now brings efficiency, transparency and real time ability to see the result as they are transmitted from the polling unit to a National Collation Centre”, however adding that “there are so many challenges in our country. For one to be able to do effective, thorough electronic voting, you need the infrastructure, software and associated support infrastructure. For example, stability of electricity, extensive network coverage and robust internet facilities,” and advised Nigerians to “make haste slowly”.
Yet, individuals and stakeholder groups like the Centre for Democracy and Development (CDD) have expressed the view that the process of collating results had been usually chaotic, vulnerable to manipulation, sometimes violently disrupted and needlessly shrouded, adding that it was to cure this that the electronic transmission of results got endorsement from a wide range of stakeholders, during the public hearings embarked upon by the National Assembly as part of the process to amend the Electoral Act.
“It will eliminate interference by security agents, politicians and even thugs in the collation process. There will not be reason to kidnap electoral officials and snatch ballot materials”, Director, CDD, Idayat Hassan, said, emphasising that, “In Nigerian elections, you can win during voting but lose during collation. Electronic transmission will take away the power of the Returning Officers to influence the election process”. According to Hassan, a paper format that will serve as a back up in the electronic transmission arrangement will take care of the probable incidences of a malfunction of criminal interference.
In his own reaction, Lead Director of the Centre for Social Justice, Eze Onyekpere said those who were arguing against the inclusion of the provision of electronic transmission of results were those who haboured intentions to manipulate votes during elections.
“With election transmission, there will not be any case of results missing on the way or snatching of ballot boxes. Any politician that does not want that to happen is planning to rig election”, Auwal Rafsanjani said.
A report of the joint committee on INEC in the Senate and House of Representatives which was debated yesterday was verified to read” “Section 52 (1)” Voting at an election under this Bill shall be by open secret ballot.
“52 (2) voting at an election under this Bill shall be in accordance with the procedure determined by the Commission, which may include electronic voting.
“52 (3) The commission may transmit results of elections by electronic means where and when practicable”.
Whichever way the National Assembly chooses to swing, Nigerians just don’t want to continue with the system that threatens the lives, livelihoods, mandate and stability of the democratic system at every election season. This, they hope, will be achieved for me them through the Electoral Act Amendment Bill 2021.
By: Opaka Dokubo
Politics
Reps Speaker Secures APC Return Ticket For Fifth Term
Rt Hon. Abbas secured the party’s ticket through an affirmation exercise conducted across the 13 electoral wards in the constituency.
The wards involved include Kwarbai A, Kwarbai B, Limancin-Kona, Unguwar Fatika, Unguwar Juma, Dutsen Abba, Gyallesu, Kufena, Dambo, Wuchichiri, Tudun Wada, Tukur-Tukur, and Kaura.
The exercise, which began simultaneously in all wards at about 10 a.m., recorded large turnout of APC members who gathered at various party offices across the constituency.
At Kwarbai B Ward, the Speaker’s ward, the process was conducted peacefully under the supervision of the ward APC Returning Officer, Malam Iliyasu Muhammad Balarabe, in the presence of Rt Hon. Abbas.
According to the ward APC secretary, Nafiu Sabo, the ward has over 10,000 registered members, but 220 members were accredited for the exercise.
Before the affirmation, Mallam Balarabe informed members that Rt Hon Abbas was the only aspirant who purchased nomination forms, underwent screening, and was cleared by the APC national leadership to contest the Zaria Federal Constituency seat.
Following a voice vote by accredited members, the Speaker was affirmed as the party’s candidate in the ward, a process replicated across the remaining 12 wards.
At the constituency collation centre, the APC Returning Officer for the House of Representatives primary in Zaria Federal Constituency, Dr. Hamisu Ibrahim Kubau, announced that 1,376 APC members across the 13 wards endorsed Rt Hon. Abbas as the party’s flag bearer.
He explained that although thousands of party members participated in the exercise, only accredited delegates were allowed to vote.
Dr. Kubau declared: “There are 13 wards in Zaria Federal Constituency, and only one aspirant purchased a form, was screened, and cleared. He is Rt. Hon. Abbas Tajudeen. After due process, we conducted affirmations across all wards.”
He added that the process was peaceful and monitored by officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and party representatives.
Chairman of the APC House of Representatives Primary Elections in Kaduna State, Senator Yakubu Oseni, described the outcome as a reflection of the Speaker’s popularity and acceptance among constituents.
He expressed confidence that Rt Hon Abbas would secure victory in the 2027 general elections.
Speaking after his declaration, Rt Hon. Abbas expressed appreciation to APC members for reaffirming their confidence in him.
Politics
C’River APC Reps Members Cry Foul, Describe Primary Election As Charade
The incumbent Reps including Emily Inyang and Godwin Offionio, in separate interviews
protested the handling of the primaries conducted by the leadership of the party in the state, saying it was skewed against them.
The aspirants further described the primaries as a charade and an embarrassment to the state.
According to them, the House of Representatives primaries fell short of the provisions of both the Electoral Act as amended in 2026 and the party’s constitution.
They accused the leadership of the party in the state, backed by Governor Bassey Otu, of violating the party’s constitution in the conduct of the House of Representatives primaries across the state on Saturday.
Hon. Godwin Offiono, representing Ogoja/Yala Federal Constituency, particularly expressed disappointment with the primary that allegedly disenfranchised registered members of the party in his constituency.
Hon. Offiono asserted that having failed to arrive at a consensus, the party leadership opted for a direct primary to decide the candidate for the 2027 election.
“But what I witnessed today was not only alarming, but quite disheartening that our electoral system have not shown any improvement, especially now that we have a man of God in the person of the governor as the leader of the party.
“How do you declare a result by 9:00am even when the electoral materials were yet to arrive at Yala.
“As an aspirant, I couldn’t even vote or see the materials for my own primary at my Okuku ward in Yala Local Government Area, where I come from. But no matter what happens I am still in the race and have not stepped down for anybody.
“The governor had all the time in the world to drive the process of consensus but he never did. As a representative, I cannot even see my governor. I called, no response. I sent text no reply. I am treated as an out cast,” he lamented.
In an emotion laden tone during a telephone interview, Hon. Offiono further said: “I could not believe that first term NASS members like me can be treated in this shoddy manner even when I don’t know my offence.
“I have been a loyal party man. I appeal to the governor to do the right thing, follow the Electoral Act and party constitution in electing representatives.”
Similarly, Hon. Emil Inyang of Akamkpa/Biase Federal Constituency said he still remained in the race and had not stepped down for anybody.
According to him, “If this shenanigan called primary is allowed to stand, it would affect the party’s fortune in the general elections.
“My appeal to the governor is to allow the people to decide. And if they so voted against me, I will rest and not fight over anything.
“There was no stakeholders meeting held to decide on anything before now, and someone can not be unilaterally imposed on us all in the name of compromised primary,” he stated.
Politics
APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race
A coalition of support groups within the All Progressives Congress (APC) has protested the disqualification of former presidential aspirant, Mr Tein Jack-Rich, from the Rivers West Senatorial race ahead of the party’s primaries for the 2027 general elections.
The groups, in a statement issued on Saturday morning in Abuja, described the action of the party’s screening committee as unjust and capable of worsening internal divisions within the APC in Rivers State.
The statement, signed by the coalition’s National Coordinator, Dr. Bilal Galadima, and General Secretary, Hon. James Ogenyi, accused the party leadership in Rivers State of favouring politicians loyal to the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Chief Nyesom Wike, while sidelining long-standing members of the APC.
The coalition alleged that only aspirants aligned with Chief Wike were cleared to contest for elective positions in the state.
“How can our party allow only one man who is not a member of our party to make decisions or dictate the direction of our party?”, the group queried.
The coalition specifically faulted the exclusion of Mr Jack-Rich, describing him as a loyal party member who had supported the APC for more than 13 years and previously contested the party’s presidential ticket.
It also questioned the alleged clearance of Chief Felix Obua, whom it described as a recent entrant into the party and an ally of Chief Wike.
“How can our party disqualify Jack-Rich, a former presidential aspirant who has been loyal and supported our party for the last 13 years, only for our party to choose Felix Obua, a Wike loyalist who only joined the party three months ago?”, the statement read.
The group warned that failure by the APC leadership and National Working Committee (NWC) to address the matter as it could weaken the party’s structure in Rivers State ahead of the 2027 elections.
It called on party leaders to uphold internal democracy, reward loyalty and ensure a level playing field for all aspirants.
INEC TO BEGIN MEMBERSHIP VERIFICATION AS POLITICAL PARTIES SUBMIT REGISTER
All 22 registered political parties have successfully submitted their membership registers to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in compliance with the Electoral Act 2026, the Commission has said.
In a statement issued on Friday, Chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee, Mr Mohammed Haruna, said the submission followed the extension granted by the Commission after political parties raised concerns during a meeting on Tuesday, March 24, 2026, regarding the timeline provided in the Revised Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the 2027 general elections.
He said, “The Commission is pleased to note that all registered parties submitted their registers as of 8th May 2026, two days before the extended deadline.”
He recalled that following a meeting with political parties, the Commission, in a statement issued on the 27th of March, 2026, adjusted the deadline for the submission of party registers from 21st April 2026 to 10th May 2026 to align with the provisions of Section 77(4) of the Electoral Act 2026 and the actual dates fixed by political parties for their primaries.
Mr Haruna noted that political parties were accordingly allowed to conduct their primaries within the approved period from 23rd April 2026 to 30th May 2026, while the register of party members was required to be submitted to the Commission not later than 21 days before the conduct of their respective primaries.
He added, “INEC wishes to state that all registered political parties complied with the requirement within the extended timeframe and will subject the submitted registers to the necessary verification processes in line with the law.”
The Commission restated its commitment to the conduct of free, fair, credible and inclusive elections.
-
Editorial1 day agoEnough Of Xenophobic Attacks On Nigerians
-
Nation1 day agoRSU, Otonti Nduka Foundation Holds Centenary Conference, Unveil Book on Values in Nigeria
-
Oil & Energy1 day agoRivers PETROAN Elects 12-Member Executive
-
Environment1 day agoMOSOP – Tinubu Not Sincere With Ogoni People For Oil Resumption
-
Politics1 day ago
APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race
-
News1 day agoFubara, Wife Hail Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Initiative …As Over 6,800 Families Benefit From Largesse In Rivers
-
Politics1 day ago
Reps Speaker Secures APC Return Ticket For Fifth Term
-
Maritime1 day agoProducts, Others, To Arrive Lagos Ports Today — MPA
